Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wine recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a nice white wine to buy in Austria that will be available in local shops or supermarkets. I love Chardonnay, so anything along those lines... the cheaper the better, but nice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austrian wine is, as is the case within other EU nations notoriously regional, with, of course, some extended exceptions. Keep it simple and go with what is locally available. Their whites are chiefly of the Veltliner variety (a "drier" Riesling), running from dry to, with age sweet, so make that differentiation at time of purchase.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gruner Veltliner is your best bet, widely available and usually good. Wide variety of prices - but you invariably get what you pay for!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just make sure that there's no diethylene glycol in the wine ! rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JoyZipper, that was 1985 rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lidl and Aldi both do a coulee of nice Gewurtztraminer wines in the uk so I'm sure they'll do them in Austria too
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jirac18, depends where I suppose - I've never seen any around my place
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/lidls-new-wine-range-offers-fine-value-a6907561.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jirac18, I meant my place in Austria
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@monnydite, what i find easiest to do is to buy several different bottles and enjoy their consumption, then make a conclusion as to which you prefer.

If still undecided repeat with a different selection!

Life is too short to drink bad wine, and I have never come across any in Austria.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, fair one. I think they stock slightly differently in different regions in uk too so for sure countries are likely to be different. Always worth keeping an eye out for offers tho
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@northantsred, indeed if you have to end up sampling every wine I guess time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything with diethylene glycol in it for the traditional taste of Austria. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Develop a taste for Aperol spritz, I had a most enjoyable ski holiday drinking those
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My experience of Austrian wine is good and reasonably priced (like Swiss wine in Switzerland).

I also approve of the hotel practice of having Prosecco on the breakfast buffet...
ski holidays
Apart from the extremely dated and lame "jokes" about anti-freeze which I will ignore hereafter. The good knock on effect of that sad affair which really was the nadir of the Austrian viticulture, it that excellent wines can be found at extraordinarily cheap prices. So for the uninitiated and those ignorant of the rich variety of wines available here is a potted guide:

Reds - any Cuvee will be a mixture of fairly young wines made from a mixture of Merlot/Cabernet type grape varieties. usually Blauer Zweigelt and St Laurent.
Any single grape variety from the Burgenland will be light and fruity and easy on the palate. I regularly drink a mixture called Carnumtum, which is a Blauer Zweigelt/St Laurent blend and very easy on the body as well as the tongue. Carnumtum is a winemaking region between Vienna and Neusiedlersee in Burgenland
Blaufränkisch is another variety of red wine grape

Whites - the standard is the Güner Veltliner which is similar to Pinot Grigio in dryness, fruitiness and acidity. There is also a very refreshing light Rosé made from Blauer Portugieser
The Rieslings are unbelievably good, particularly those from the Wachau district of the Danube valley. Many wine experts believe the best Rieslings in the world come from this region, particularly any graded Smaragd On the wine lists you will recognise this by reference to any of the following towns Krems, Melk or Ybbs an der Donau.
Additionally there are Sauvignon Blanc type varieties for example Weißburgunder and also some amazing Muscatel dessert wines e.g Gelber Muskateller which are drop-dead gorgeous, deep golden hues and a bouquet that will knock your socks off with aromas of honey, peaches, flowers etc. Pretty heavy though so beware as it slips down o so easily!

Austrian wines are predominantly sold by grape variety and the region it comes from. Apart from the scandal where the wine brokers added anti-freeze, you are looking at a winemaking history and tradition that goes back almost unbroken for 4000 years. The anti-freeze affair led to tighter controls on the marketing of the wines via third parties, many are now sold through vineyard cooperatives. The tighter controls mean a way better product and conversely a better price on the whole. Quality wines are exceptionally good value for money.

In the supermarkets you will find a reasonable selection but by far the best selection in terms of variety as well as quality is in the Aldi chain (called Höfer in Austria). This has affected prices in the other supermarket chains so prices are very reasonable.

I make a couple of trips a year to the Krems region to collect some Rieslings and Muskatels directly from the co-operative there and then another couple to the Burgenland to explore the wines on offer. I also make a point of visiting friends in the Weinviertal on a fairly regular basis and stocking up on whatever they recommend. The Steiermark (Styria to English-speakers) also produces a wide variety of extremely robust, tasty wines as well

If you know nothing about the wines r history of wines in Austria this is a good place to start educating yourselves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_wine. Enjoy discovering the various tastes, I know I certainly do! Cool Cool
ski holidays
Grüner Veltliner really is The Austrian whine.
Avoid 2013 and definitely 2014 though, very difficult years.
ski holidays
Thanks very much to everyone for your replies....all very helpful.
ski holidays
Grunner Veltliner indeed, but price does make a difference! So try from several producers and in different price range. I made a mistake last summer in Brand (most Westerly part of AT) by starting with the most expensive - "smaragd level" - which was sublime. I then tried one level below and although it was very good too, the memories of the first bottle made the really good second bottle not that pleasurable ... so be carefull Smile I would never decide whether I prefer more Burgundy's top Chablis or top Grunner Veltliner .... tough life Smile
snow report
@monnydite, of course, you could just buy a bottle of Chardonnay!
snow report
Quote:

of course, you could just buy a bottle of Chardonnay!

Only if you have run out of loo cleaner!!
ski holidays
Quote:
If you know nothing about the wines or history of wines in Austria this is a good place to start 
I'd say Sammerberg Sue's highly informative overview (related to the above post) is the place tof start - very comprehensive Smile.
snow report
@monnydite, not sure if this is available in supermarkets Josef Docker Berg Chardonnay, very nice. Also Big John Scheiblhofer Burgenland White also good, there is a Big John red as well.
snow conditions
If you're on a budget, Spar are doing a very drinkable Chardonnay for €1.99...

..and they've got a pretty good wheat beer for €0.59 a 50cl can Shocked
latest report
@radar, we enjoyed the Big John red in January. Reduced price in M-Preis. A very fine pinot noir indeed Cool
ski holidays
Big John is not a Pinot Noir, it's a cuvee
ski holidays
@Langerzug, how very true Shocked, shocking error, the punishment must be to drink more, to assist the offender in getting it right
ski holidays
@Langerzug, you need a little more time on research - https://www.scheiblhofer.at/en/produktdetail/16/pinot-noir.html.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]@Inboard[/b
Well, your page does not seem to exist. Mine does:

https://www.scheiblhofer.at/en/produktdetail/21/big-john.html

Looks like I know Big John slightly better than you do. But I do agree, it's a nice fellow Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy