Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever been injured/ill just before trip, yet still skied/boarded?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
@abc, stick shift has 2 or 3 gears that need to be pulled backwards

@holidayloverxx, if you were on a left drive car, you can use your right knee to "pull back" too.

The only gear you really can't do with your knee is reverse. But if you're going back and forth, you'll be stopped in between, so can let go of your good arm from steering to move the gear handle. Wink

Not something to do a lot of. But works in a pinch if you ever find yourself with a left drive stick shift car with a broken arm...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abc, I really couldn't do it with my little legs! I can't see how you can possibly get your knee in front of the gear lever and pull it back
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, you'll have to let off the gas to do that. But you can put your right foot back on the gas before letting up on the clutch.

(I'm quite flexible...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@abc, I am stationary and trying it with my left leg in RHD...impossible Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to a sports physio for 3 or 4 weeks for treatment on a badly inflamed cartilage in my knee. Could hardly walk or bend my knee at times, alough the treatment was improving things gradually. Finally plucked up the courage to tell the physio that I was a skier - and ask when I would be able to ski again. Her answer was about another 4 weeks, after more treatment.

Not quite the answer I was looking for - as I was off for a ski weekend in Switzerland three days later....Shocked

Borrowed a knee brace from a mate and just took it steady. Had a great (if painful at times) time in deep powder - and had my one and only ski day in Liechtenstein too.

Quote:
Not the same as someone who learns to drive a car with a disability or with adaptions
Oo er...20-odd years ago I drove for weeks, incident-free, with my left wrist in plaster. Manual car too. Rightly or wrongly, I just never gave it a thought - maybe it was before the world went health and safety mad....Having said that, I could still grip the wheel and change gear ok.

BTW, there's no such word as adaptions rolling eyes...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, yes there is https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=adaption%2Cadaptation&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cadaption%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cadaptation%3B%2Cc0

driving with a wrist in plaster is not quite the same as driving with an arm in a sling
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my colleagues is an Afghanistan vet; One arm, one leg and can drive a 13 gear semi without wearing his prothesies. . . He's also decided to become a snowboarder. . . I'll update yous(sic), or he can do it himself ... he's a bit intimidated by all the 'English intellect' here rolling eyes

English intellect, a new definition fer bullshoite?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oo er...20-odd years ago I drove for weeks, incident-free, with my left wrist in plaster. Manual car too. Rightly or wrongly, I just never gave it a thought - maybe it was before the world went health and safety mad....Having said that, I could still grip the wheel and change gear ok.

I think people are being a bit over the top about the driving with a hurt arm. I hurt my left shoulder a few years ago. Whist I *could* change gear it really bl00dy hurt to do so and was extremely difficult. I had a long car journey to get home at the end of the holiday. It is surprising how little changing gear you actually have to do in a small engine petrol car. Could pretty much stay in 3 through the short built up area (car could set off in 3 on the flat) and on the M-way I never had to take it out of 5.

I then unfortunately had another long car journey the day after getting home but it was with a passenger (they couldn't drive as had a neck injury) and I will admit to getting them to change gear for me a couple of times.

At least it makes you pay hyper attention to the road when you know changing gear is a pain. Literally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy