Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever been injured/ill just before trip, yet still skied/boarded?

Poster: A snowHead
We often spend almost a year looking forward to the annual ski holiday, and so the last thing we want to happen is to become injured, ill, or otherwise incapacitated just before we depart (irrespective of insurance).

Has this ever happened to you? And did you nevertheless insist on getting yourself onto the snow? How was it?

I dislocated/broke my shoulder the day before departing for a week's snowboarding in Banff, yet, with right arm in sling, still drove myself to the airport, and followed my companions off-piste, and up expert-only drag lifts, and chairs (Norquay) - despite the doctor saying I could cause unrecoverable damage should I fall on my shoulder or re-dislocate it. While the injury did limit my ability to go quite as far as I would have without it, such a limit could easily have been caused by inclement weather or poor snow conditions. So, it was nevertheless a great holiday, well worth ignoring my other half who forbade me from going. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-03-16 22:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prior to my back op, I would head out knowing that my lower back would lock up at some stage...so I went armed with the names and adresses of Physios, Chiropractors and Osteopaths in the resort.

When it got so bad that I was having to have manipulation every other day just to get through the week, I eventually gave up.

I've now had my second hol since the back op...so fingers crossed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frankly, that sounds stupid. Evil or Very Mad especially as you'd not have been insured.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Frankly, that sounds stupid. Evil or Very Mad especially as you'd not have been insured.

You sound like my other half... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:

At that stage, I hadn't been diagnosed with anything in particular except a tight lower back and SI joints that jammed.

I've had a bad back for well over 20 years and it always seemed to loosen up while skiing...it had been a very gradual deterioration. When I found I couldn't get through the week, I finally got it properly diagnosed. Up to then, various therapists had assured me they could sort it out (and that I'd be fine to ski), which allowed me to avoid what I should have done years before. It's amazing what one will do to avoid the risk of being told that you need major back surgery.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 19-03-16 22:10; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A few years ago I damaged ligaments in one knee, but my physio appointment wasn't until after our return date from Jasper. Luckily I don't really need to ski hard and fast, so was able to enjoy a fortnight of cruising on-piste. I only fell once, and that was just my knee giving way while standing by the ski rack! I was pretty nervous walking on ice, but was very pleased to see that the eateries and toilets at Marmot had non-slip flooring (some European places should take note!). By the time I got to the physio, he commented that I'd lost over a third of my muscle mass on the affected leg, by comparison with the other, despite the skiing, and swimming twice daily in the hotel pool.

I had checked with my GP before going, who didn't recommend skiing, but was a skier herself . . . She did approve of the swimming
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tore a calf muscle on last day but one of a trip. Last day was a powder day. Dilemma. Couldn't walk let alone get in a ski boot. Game not over - turns out you can snowboard when you can't walk properly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied four days with broken ribs. Didn't go see a doctor until I got home, as they would only have told me not to ski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, my comment was directed at the OP who went against doctor's orders and, it appears, greatly upset his other half too. Even if she didn't care if he caused unrecoverable damage to his shoulder she probably wondered where the money was coming from had he needed medical care.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
@Old Fartbag, my comment was directed at the OP who went against doctor's orders and, it appears, greatly upset his other half too. Even if she didn't care if he caused unrecoverable damage to his shoulder she probably wondered where the money was coming from had he needed medical care.

Apologies Embarassed

(Got distracted while watching the Rugby).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter broke her hand playing rugby 5 weeks pre trip. Her very nice physio designed a special splint that gave her finger mobility and she skied one handed. Still faster than me!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Broke my toe five weeks ago this coming Monday (it's Saturday as I write). The break happened in the middle of the second set of a volleyball match, I played on through the match, went to training on the following week, rode my bike and didn't have any major problems so I booked and have now done a week's off piste in Flaine. The toe is still swollen, but hey, what can you do about a broken toe?

On a more serious note, I've seen my mate ski two days with a shattered wrist: the medical centre in Andorra put him in a plaster cast after a tumble, but on his return to the UK he ended up with metalwork sticking out of his arm for several months

Also, on day 2 of a two week trip, after a weird tumble on the green slope just below the Roundhouse restaurant in Whistler, Mrs NBT was taken to the clinic to have seven stitches in her knee where the ski edge had sliced through her salopettes and her thermal leggings and her skin. On the last morning of the trip we called in at the clinic to have the stitches taken out, the doctor was surprised to find her in ski gear and ready to fit the slopes: as the wound hadn't healed and the stitches had to stay in, he advised she shouldn't ski. We pointed out that skiing the last ten days hadn't had any ill effects, and as we'd paid a load of money for our one ski trip, we'd take the risk Austin. It was fine
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year I ran 10km on a Saturday a week before my trip, Sunday I had to go to a&e because I couldn't put my right foot to the ground with our nearly passing out with pain. Tendinitis kicked in. Spent that week thinking I wasn't going to ski, dropped the crutches the morning of my flight and took a dose of rules 5. tried my boots on as soon as I got to resort and boot done me the world of good. Skiied the full week with no issues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied with an arm in plaster.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosbie, broke a Fib and skied 12 days later . . .

. . . But I'm an idiot

But oddly the broken leg is stronger and more stable than the wimp leg
snow conditions
On a Tues before the Saturday departure for a Morzine ski holiday, I developed a bit of a cold and a nasty cough. (I was well hacked off as it was my first ski break in 3 seasons and I was mega looking forward to it.) By the Saturday it had turned into the 2nd worse cough I have ever had and I felt crap.
I did it very hard all week skiing - no energy, no sleep from coughing, forcing myself up the slopes each day for a few hours, staying in/no apres, not knowing I was coming down with my first ever chest infection. On the last day I found I couldn't climb two flight of stairs without being breathless and needing to recover for 10 mins.
(I found when I was out skiing it gave me a respite from the coughing. Maybe a combination of fresh air and adrenaline......?)

I returned home and visited the Dr. on the Mon who said my chest was fine. I knew it wasn't.
I worked a physical, 4x 12-14 hr days and then on the 5th day at work I couldn't breathe without intense pain. Taken to A and E by two workmates to be, surprise, surprise, diagnosed with a chest infection and pleurisy.

I was pretty ill for a total of 2 months and had another chest infection last year.

So, boy did I harden the f*** up, oh yes?! But maybe I shouldn't have done as I got so ill.

But with hindsight would I still have gone on that ski holiday that I was soooo looking forward to? Hell YES. snowHead Laughing
snow report
In 2007 I had treatment for cervical cancer and towards the end of the year I broke three bones in my wrist. It so wasn't my year. I went skiing in March 2008. At the time I could not get any form of medical cover travel insurance other than that provided by EHIC. But the baggage/cancellation/liability part of my travel insurance remained in force. I didn't ski much, I was very weak and tired. My broken wrist was still in a splint. But I had a fabulous and much needed holiday.
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, ...March 6th 2006, dark evening, drizzle, I'm on green light at Horseguards Avenue cycling at speed, motorbike jumps red light and breaks my back (wedge fracture L3 stable) and very serious Grade 3 shoulder separation (still looks mighty ugly and weird, clavicle sticking up 2cms and completely separated from shoulder). Due to ski first week of April. Didn't. But went to CH with family, who did. Instead of skiing I rehabilitated by carrying one and a half tons of rocks (seriously) up 63 steps to build a new retaining wall at the back of the chalet. Worked a treat.
snow report
flicky wrote:
Skied four days with broken ribs. Didn't go see a doctor until I got home, as they would only have told me not to ski.

Cracked my ribs on day 1 of a 10 days trip. Carry on skiing the rest of the trip. Skiing was fine just no laughing or coughing. Toofy Grin

Home, x-ray to confirm the break. Asked doctor was it wise to have continued skiing. Her answer "Don't see why not as long as it wasn't too painful".
latest report
OK I have done it 4 times.

Time one: I was riding a motor cycle trial and had a bad fall onto my bottom the week before going on a skiing holiday. This resulted in a bruise on one leg from my waist to ankle and the other to the knee. A visit to the hospital bought no treatment so I just went skiing anyway.

Time two: once again on a motorcycle trial I ruputure my ACL. The hospital took months to diagnose it so I went skiing with it heavily strapped and avoiding any jumps. (I have since given up trials riding)

Time 3: I disclocated my shoulder on day one of a ski holiday. Spent the rest of the holiday skiing with it strapped up and using only one ski stick.

Time 4: I had 2 stents put into my heart a week before going skiing. I assurred the surgeon that I would only pootle about - and I did

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 20-03-16 21:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Broke my radius on a ski course (I didn't want to leave the course so carried on skiing, using one arm). 3 weeks later drove out to Chamonix to ski with the arm in pot (couldn't get 5th or reverse gear, so the wife had to assist). Checked with a guide that it was ok to ski the VB, but he ended up having to lower be part of the way down across blue ice on a rope. When the 6 weeks was up with the pot ,I took it off with nail scissors, strapped it up and carried on skiing. But of course I am stupid.
ski holidays
@crosbie, I always wanted to know if there were a really rich snowhead - and now we know that at least you are. Personally I could not remotely afford to underwrite myself for medical, legal and public liability costs in North America. I am truly impressed.
latest report
This a little like the scene in "Jaws" when they're drunk on the boat comparing scars and outbidding the other with the best one.....anyhoo

I went to Soll a few years back with a burst right eardrum. Not only was I deaf in that ear but in flat light I completely lost all sense of balance. On one occasion we were stopped in fog on the side of a red piste towards Brandstadl and whilst completely stationary I fell "a la Del Boy at the bar" on to my side not even realising I was falling.

It was weird embarrassing and amusing in equal measure. My skiing was rubbish all week but still had fun.
ski holidays
All these people driving with arms in slings or in plaster Shocked Puzzled Renders your car insurance null and void. Not to mention the poor, innocent people you might maim or kill on the roads!
ski holidays
@Cinsha, agreed, it's not big and it's not clever
ski holidays
@Cinsha, no it doesn't necessarily. I broke my shoulder last year. I phoned my car insurance company and because I had an automatic they stated that I could drive fully insured as previously. I didn't mame nor kill anyone. You do realise disabled people including military vets with lost limbs are allowed to drive and can get insurance?
ski holidays
@jirac18, not the same as someone who learns to drive a car with a disability or with adaptions..my comment is aimed at the poster whose wife had to change into 5th for him
latest report
Does being 7 weeks pregnant count?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, my response was to @Cinsha, who states it invalidates insurance. It doesn't necessarily as I explained and a standard automatic transmission vehicle requires no adaptation whatsoever. It is perfectly legal and safe to drive one with just one arm.

I agree it's unwise to have someone else changing gear for you and even more unwise to admit it on a public forum! If that were proven in the event of an accident I'm sure insurance might be invalidated and it's a careless potentially dangerous thing to do besides.
ski holidays
@jirac18, sure, agreed
latest report
@WindOfChange, that's your duty and design not an illness....dons crash helmet with tongue in cheek NehNeh
ski holidays
I had booked for italy for january 2014 on returning from there doing an earlybird booking in 2013..however in march 2013 i had quite a nasty TPF.. sooo. after a few hours in theatre and a some pig bone and mechano added i still went on the ski holiday in 2014...although i could only ski a couple of hours each day the knee/leg was not fit enough and it swelled up quite spectaculary... unforntunalty not in line with the thread i did not ski better, ......but i do now !! as i had to change my style etc..
latest report
Came down with actual, real, honest-to-god felt like I was dying 'flu just over a week before a ski trip a few years ago. Decided to still go as it was probably going to be nicer lying on the sofa and recovering in France and hanging with friends in the evening and being cooked for, than lying on the sofa at home on my own!

I wasn't really fully up to the journey, physically struggled with standing in the passport queue on the way out there as so tired and weak, wasn't fun. Kept my face buried in anti-viral tissues to minimise risk to other people but was probably over the infectious stage anyway.

Spent the first 3 days in the chalet on the sofa. Went out snowboarding a tiny bit on the 4th day and a little bit more on the 5th and 6th.

Can't say it was my favourite ski trip, but I think the mountains were a nicer place to continue my recovery. snowHead
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
Does being 7 weeks pregnant count?

That's not an injury, but it could constitute quite a serious accident Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Home, x-ray to confirm the break. Asked doctor was it wise to have continued skiing. Her answer "Don't see why not as long as it wasn't too painful".

Yeah - I cracked ribs and did see a Doctor in resort. That was the advice he gave me - ski provided it's not too painful. I took a day off and skied the rest of the week.

Personally I wouldn't go against Doctor's advice and risk making something worse.
ski holidays
Tore a hamstring playing rugby just before a snowboard trip. Turns out you don't need a hamstring to snowboard. At all.

Also ripped a calf muscle (and strained the achilles) 4 weeks before a load of BASI exams. Pushed on through, but that was less good. You DO need a calf muscle to snowboard. You can get away without an achilles as long as every landing is PERFECT...
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
[b], You do realise disabled people including military vets with lost limbs are allowed to drive and can get insurance?

Really?!!! Well, I never knew that! Thanks soooo much for informing me.
snow conditions
Actually, you don't need good arm to change gear. You can nudge it with your knee.

Oops, sorry only in a left drive car.
snow report
@abc, stick shift has 2 or 3 gears that need to be pulled backwards
snow report
Had a hernia op 6 weeks ago and am driving to Les Arcs on Friday.

Have been told to "listen" to my body, as far as pain is concerned - take it easy and stop if it starts hurting. Had to cancel a long weekend which would have been 2 weeks after op though. Sad I did contemplate going on it, but the wife would have killed me!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy