Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet and Sports Equipment

Poster: A snowHead
I mainly travel Easyjet and am thinking if it is worth buying some new skis ... there are some good deals around at the moment. I had given up taking my own skis for the past three or so years because it costs £ 30 or £ 40 each way, which is about the same as a week's hire IF you can find the right skis in the resort.

Does any Snowhead have a smart work around ... it looks like you cant take Small Sports Equipment on board wothout having booked Hold luggage as well ... do any of the Kart system components offer a workaround?

My current thought is to carryon hiring, but to get a Kabin Boot Bag to take some pressure off the hold bag, since my boots gave my helmet a bit of a kicking in the hold bag last time Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This page http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment seems to suggest that it's perfectly acceptable to have '0 hold bags and 1 small sports item' (and skis count as a small sports item). So - presumably - with the right ski bag you can pack most of your luggage in that and take your boots and helmet in the cabin.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I travel with one wheeled bag which is checked in as sports equipment, and which has all of my kit for the week. It usually gets a HEAVY sticker as it comes in at almost exactly 20Kg, leaving me with just a small rucksack on board.

If you take skis, you pay £30 each way for sports equipment. If you take a suitcase and no skis, you pay £19 each way for hold baggage. For £22, you'll not be able to hire boots for the week, never mind the skis to clip them into.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is an additional workaround. If you purchase an easyJet plus seat c. £8 each way, you het Speedy Boarding and an additional cabin bag. So you could have a 20kg ski bag, a trolley bag (maximum size 56 x 45 x 25cm) and a backpack. There is no weight limit on the cabin bag but you are more likely to run out of space in the bag before the weight becomes an issue.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @ousekjarr says, just book small sports equipment and fill it with skis plus anything else up to 20kg and you are good to go. Do it all the time for short trips.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the most important thing to do is get a double ski bag and fill it. I put all my ski gear including boots and helmet and toiletries in wheeled double ski bag. Then take maximum size trolley bag for hand luggage which has jeans t shirts etc. You are allowed a duty free carrier bag too. So I just use any carrier bag for any thing else.
BA and air France and klm let you take a ski bag instead of a suitcase plus hand luggage plus small bag.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DavidYacht, Just fly with BA or Swiss or someone who lets you either take a ski bag as your hold item or in addition (swiss) for no fee
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kamikaze Pete wrote:
@DavidYacht, Just fly with BA or Swiss or someone who lets you either take a ski bag as your hold item or in addition (swiss) for no fee

I take it you live within easy distance of Heathrow or Gatwick? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Perhaps I missed it so can you point in me in the direction of the announcement that Swiss and BA are to begin flying to ski destination airports from UK regional airports such as Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Glasgow or Edinburgh?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ba fly to Salzburg from glasgow
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I flew on Swiss from Birmingham to Zurich on Thursday using their free ski carriage NehNeh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Same for me, and I don't live anywhere near London. Swiss (and Lufthansa) are great.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stand corrected; on some of the airports. Very Happy

But my point still holds true. If you live in the regions then there are very few options to fly Swiss or BA.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Live in South Devon ... So Exeter (flybe) or Bristol (easyjet) are only practical options ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, you can but it has to be connecting I frequently fly from Aberdeen to most ski airports via London with ba, frankfurt with lufthansa (free ski carriage) or klm via Amsterdam and air France via Paris, klm and af as well as ba let u take ski bag instead of suitcase
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I second @speachmaus

Air France/KLM do a large range of routes from Birmingham. Also Lufthansa. I use both quite frequently for ski (Europe) and non-ski (intercontinental) routes. Yes, you'll have to change at CDG or Schippol but both are easy to do. I know AirFrance do the ski bag instead
of luggage, and although I haven't checked KLM's baggage policy they are essentially the same company and you can book KLM fights via the AF website.
And no, the flights don't have to cost a fortune.

EMA on the other hand seems to be "budget" airlines only
ski holidays
Has anyone checked their ski baggage on as "large sports equipment" before to make use of the larger 32 kg weight limit?
latest report
@skiinghamster, frankly I'd rather pay the extra to fly direct on easyJet than change at another airport. Do KLM and AF offer free ski carriage? I've read their rules and they are not clear.

@JoyZipper, their rules are quite clear that you can't do this but whether they enforce it at check-in is another question. Annoyingly, the maximum per mitted dimensions of a bag are greater than most ski bags but they say you can't just book an ordinary bag and take a ski bag. It is tempting to try doing that and then arguing it in court at a later date. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@Gaza, I flew KLM to Zurich in December and took one double ski bag with boots, helmet and other ski gear, instead of one suitcase plus a big roller carry on plus a rucksack no problems, just make sure your fare includes one hold bag. Air france say the same but I haven't used them but I have asked on their facebook page, they say skis only in bag but I think its just to cover them incase it goes missing they only have to compensate for skis not everything else in bag
snow conditions
@skiinghamster, KLM do it too I used them to fly to Zurich in December. @Gaza, Id much rather drive to my local airport and have a couple of hours in hub airport then fly to destination for a decent price, than drive for hours to get to bigger UK airport just to do a direct flight. If I book in advance I can get Aberdeen to any European airport with skis for approx. £200. It cost me £179 just to fly Aberdeen to Gatwick with skis and case on Easyjet, so I could join others for ski trip.
latest report
As, @speachmaus, says Air France will take a ski bag in lieu of other checked baggage. If you want to take a hold bag as well, then it's extra.
Another plus of Air France /KLM is that their standard hold allowance is 23kg rather than the usual 20.

Good to know that KLM also allow ski bag in place of hold luggage - gives me more flexibility on routes /timings.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy