Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your favourite resort

Poster: A snowHead
Having taking to the slopes over the past 4-5 years I have been to 7 resorts, ski areas and have enjoyed them all. I would struggle to choose an absolute favourite and would go back to them all - Passo would be the bottom of my list but would still have no qualms about going back there. Which is your favourite resort and do you choose to repeat visit or try somewhere different each year?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't a have favourite resort really.

Favourite country to ski - Austria, no question followed by Italy.

I don't get the appeal with France really, too much self catering purpose built high rises I guess. But I haven't tried a Chalet so I could be missing out there, it's something I'd like to try so I'm not writing on France by any means.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Dolomites. All of them.
Closely followed by the Alps. Again, all of them.
Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
italy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads of resorts in Austria that I love; Ski Amadé, Kitzbuhel, Schladming, etc. Basically I love the pretty Austrian 'proper town/village' that just happens to have a ski area. Also the ski areas tend to be more varied terrain rather than 'factory produced'. And the huts/hotels are fabulous, friendly, good value, family-run, home-cooked food type places. I know some people want high rise shoebox apartments adjacent to mile after mile of identical moonscape pistes with motorway service station type huts, but that's not for me.

I've also enjoyed several resorts in Italy, but wild horses wouldn't drag me back to La Plagne or Pas De La Casa...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

_________ _________ _________ A V O R I A Z _________ _________ __________

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
italy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alangibson73, my current "squeeze" is Combloux (previous love was meribel as I worked there for a few seasons) part of the "evasion mont blanc" region, fantastic for families, and reasonable prices all round the mountain, though I admit it is beneficial having transport in resort as the town is spread out, and it makes life easier to get to the Megeve side to ski.
am currently on my second visit this season, and have booked again for feb half term next year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For Snow Quality - Alta
For quality of self catering accommodation (Europe) - Arcs 1950
Overall - Val D'Isere
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VERY lucky to have skied 53 different resorts in six countries.......extremely close call but fave is Jackson Hole in US and A. Have been twice and deffo plan to get there again even tho it's not exactly near rolling eyes

Have been to most places I'm really bothered about apart from a few far-flung US / Canada spots so now tending to re-visit a lot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I was younger and fitter and had good knees but was restricted to Xmas and Easter Val Thorens was my choice with the run under the Cime de Caron my all time favorite.

Older and creakier and restricted to piste skiing by a dodgy knee it was Arraba with cruising round the Sella Ronde on easy days with the Marmolada for days when I wanted something a little more challending.

Nowadays it is easier for me to ski in the USA as I am retired and live on a sailboat in the Caribbean and I love Alta with the Canyons as my bailout on days when there is powder at Alta and the whole valley seems to be there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like the Sella area, as there are many refugios where you can spend the nights up in the mountains.

Nozawa Onsen is a nice place to stay - onsen is life.

Like to return to Peisey Vallandry.

Don't really have a favourite place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bisonator, Yup, Jackson Hole is good. It's interesting to have a V shaped ski area in which the entire area is safe for off-piste, and you know you'll always end up on a trail that leads to a lift back to base. The Million Dollar bar is quite fun too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TQA wrote:
When I was younger and fitter and had good knees but was restricted to Xmas and Easter Val Thorens was my choice with the run under the Cime de Caron my all time favorite.

Older and creakier and restricted to piste skiing by a dodgy knee it was Arraba with cruising round the Sella Ronde on easy days with the Marmolada for days when I wanted something a little more challending.

Nowadays it is easier for me to ski in the USA as I am retired and live on a sailboat in the Caribbean and I love Alta with the Canyons as my bailout on days when there is powder at Alta and the whole valley seems to be there.

I love Snowbird...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Crosbie - my fave bar at Jackson Hole is "The Mangy Moose"..........it's my no. 1 ski bar anywhere 🍺🍺🍺
snow report
@Bisonator, bit too crowded, hectic and raucous for my liking, but I guess you may like it that way. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yep 😃😃😃👍👍👍
snow conditions
Think it's fairly well known that I would buy in Vallandry tomorrow if I could. Why? Big ski area, small and quiet resort, fantastic views.
snow report
@alangibson73, if the snow's good, Megeve and EMB for variety, ambience and stunning scenery.
For a white knuckle thrill, Argentiere. Arlberg for challenge, atmosphere, lively town. All round most of the time, Val D'Isere. Dolomites awaits and I guess would be added to my list!
All depends what mood you're in.
snow conditions
I always like to find a new favourite.
snow conditions
Where has it snowed/is snowing? That'll do.
snow report
In Europe - Argentiere / Chamonix.
In North America - Fernie.
snow report
Trying to find a mix of country benefits really - I like the lift queue etiquette and manners of the US, the prices and apres ski of Austria, the beer in Colorado or the microbrewery in Morzine, the huge range of the porte du soleil or the 3 valleys, the back bowls of Colorado, restaurants with table service anywhere in Austria, France or Italy, the heated and covered lifts in Austria, the ski door to door stuff in France, the language and humour in Scotland. The proximity to airports to piste e.g. short transfers and flying from Glasgow.

If they replace some of the slower lifts in the PDS, that tick 90% of what I want.
snow report
wadgebeast wrote:
If they replace some of the slower lifts in the PDS, that tick 90% of what I want.

If you replaced the slow lifts in the PdS, then you'd have to fix the consequent crowds - as the PdS became more like the 3V or EspaceKilly.

When you look at it holistically, the PdS is about as good as it can get. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
wadgebeast wrote:

If you replaced the slow lifts in the PdS, then you'd have to fix the consequent crowds - as the PdS became more like the 3V or EspaceKilly.

When you look at it holistically, the PdS is about as good as it can get. Madeye-Smiley

Shame about the altitude/rain
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Shame about the altitude/rain

Whistler, right?
snow report
Oh Whistler for sure but PdS loses out by virtue of its lower areas not being immune IME.
snow report
"Where has it snowed/is snowing? That'll do."
Dave of the Marmottes

Ignore all other answers this is the correct one!

There is nowhere perfect whatever many people falsely claim and there are very few places that wouldn't be great with fresh powder and sun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Arlberg, all of it. Nowhere comes close.....and we've looked. Keen to try Italy again but off piste rules confuse me, no pull to return to France, skied EK, 3V and PDS loads in 90's/early noughties and its lost its edge due to poor service and lack of investment. Ski Arlberg #1.
snow report
Les Arcs. It's not the "best" or biggest ski area I've ever been to but it's my favourite resort as a whole. I got to love it as it's where I worked my first ever season, and I only have happy memories from that. Subsequent visits back (especially in January just gone) have only reinforced that.

I love the fact that, from any of the main Les Arcs villages you only have to go up a maximum of 2 lifts and you can ski into any of the other villages (Villaroger obviously not included in that); often you just need one lift up and can ski down into the others. It makes the ski area seem so much closer together, even though there's a bountiful 200km of pistes and plenty of off-piste. And the views from the top of the Aiguille Rouge are simply stunning.
ski holidays
Colorado, fantastic resorts and great vibe.

If I had to pick a favourite......Copper.
snow report
Top 3:
1. St Martin de Belleville- skiing the 3v with some proper alpine charm. (I know...some will say "boring"....)
2. Champoluc...first visit last year and loved it and Monterosa area, lovely town, lovely people, great value and the food....(tummy rumbling!).
3. Hakuba Cortina, Japan..clunky lifts, knee deep tree and powder skiing...

These are my faves of places I've been. Really want to ski the Dolomites one day and go back to Japan and explore..Nozawa Onsen is on the list.
latest report
Whistler / Argentiere / Val Thorens
latest report
Brought up the magic 50 resorts with my recent trip to Montgenevre, usually look to go to an old favourite and somewhere new every season

Favourites for different reasons:

Serfaus - Family
Lech - with friends
Verbier & Chamonix - Freeride

Bansko - Best Cultural experience/people
latest report
Zermatt
latest report
Jackson Hole in North America.
Nevados de Chillan in South America.
Verbier in Europe.
Shemshak in Middle East.
Nozawa Onsen in Asia.

Switzerland is best for an allround experience.
France is best for the steepest (accessible) trails.
Japan is best (by miles) for the deepest snow.
Western USA (inland) is best for the creamiest snow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy