Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked Munich for Feb 2017 - where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear snowheads, we are looking for a few pointers on where to go and stay. We jumped in early and booked flights to Munich for a week Sat 25 Feb to Sat 4 Mar 2017. Our friends booked Sun 26 Feb to Sun 5 Mar, so will need to see if we can get Sun-Sun accommodation, and a hotel night for us or them if we all want to stay together.

Looking for somewhere with transfer time 2 hours or less from Munich ideally.

We are a family of three, and our son will be 8 years old then. Friends are a family of four with 7 and 5 year old, plus nephew, adult brothers, and mum coming. In total there will be 12 of us. Adults are advanced intermediate/early advanced skiers and all the kids have skiied quite a bit. The older kids can tackle anything. We enjoy a bit of everything from piste, park, ungroomed itineraries, lift accessed off piste. Do need some greens and blues for the youngest child. A huge ski area isn't critical as we are not into covering tons of millage.

An important consideration is that my wife doesn't ski and neither will the mum. They doesn't need spa and all that, just happy to hang out in the accommodation, cafe etc and enjoy being in the mountains. But we do like to be able to all meet up during the day for coffee or lunch. I don't think they are terribly keen on getting into lifts. So ideally places with accommodation in the ski area rather than buses and bubbles where its a hassle to come down.

I like the idea of a catered chalet as a change as we have always done self-catering to date. We have all skiied together in Sweden a few times, but had next door self-catering apartments. Self-catering is an option if can't find catered.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hochzillertal might suit your needs or more specifically hochfugen. According to Google it is just over 2 hours from Munich airport, but with traffic possible a little more. I am nor sure if you will find catered chalets there though. The map doesn't have many blue runs but the ref pistes are actually quite tame. The big selling point for the area in my view is the easily accessed off piste. I have just had 2 epic days messing about at the edge of the pistes on untracked shin deep powder. They have loads of ski routes marked on the map, I saw an article recently ranking it in the top 5 resorts in Europe for off piste beginners. By staying in hochfugen you could meet them for lunch each day quite easily as the ski area is compact.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.alpin-chalet.com/en/home/

I have not seen this one before - might be worth taking a look at.

But 2 hours from Munich I guess is a bit tight.

Kitzbühl could be an obtion as well:

http://www.akvillas.com/luxury-ski-chalets/luxury-ski-chalets-austria/luxury-ski-chalets-kitzbuhel/

http://www.chaletsdirect.com/kitzbuhel/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech.
Kitzbuehel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nevergreenterrace, @Hyst, @Whitegold, thanks for suggestions. They all look like good options.

My main concern now is trying to find accommodation Sunday-Sunday or some of apartments next to/near each other where we can do Saturday-Saturday and they do Sunday-Sunday. I don't want to lose a day's skiing staying at Munich waiting for them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, Lech in less than two hours? What kind of a driver are you?
Kitzbühel I have made in 1h15 starting from south of Munich in Starnberg (so actually driving back towards Munich before taking the A8 ) with absolutely clear roads. The best I've ever done St.Anton in is 2h20, again with absolutely clear roads. Lech is about 30-40 minutes more from St.Anton.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my hunt for a much bigger group, came across these big self catering chalets - although not sure how the room set up would work for your group, bizarrely they've dropped off the Sunweb UK site but are on their NL /DE sites but with no availability the rest of this season but they appear to do Saturday and Sunday bookings.

http://www.flachauer-gutshof.at/de/wohnen/alpenchalets-flachauer-gutshof
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang, You'd be lucky to do St A in 2hrs 20 nowadays with 100kph limit from Kufstein to Arlberg.....maybe@Whitegold, has a helicopter to access Lech? Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, Kitzbuhel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@always29, something like those apartments would be good, but Flachau looks be 4 hours from Munich airport which is a tad too far

Edit: Google map says 2 hrs 52 mins. My phone must be set to avoid all major roads or something

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 19-03-16 8:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Steilhang, You'd be lucky to do St A in 2hrs 20 nowadays with 100kph limit from Kufstein to Arlberg.....maybe@Whitegold, has a helicopter to access Lech? Laughing
That was going over Fernpass ( minus Dutch caravans ) starting near Starnberg, so 20Km south of Munich. Can still be done legally,almost.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sure Flachau would be under 3 hours from Munich airport as long as you're not driving at peak times, it's 220km and Flachau is literally minutes from the motorway junction.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Themasterpiece, definitely NOT 4 hours unless you picked the wrong day and time to travel. I do Rosenheim to Flachau every week in an average of 1 hour 20, sometimes 1 hour 10 minutes or even less. Munich Airport is another hour from me, again I frequently have to pick people up from there, so I know the travel times and the problem areas. Any decent transfer company will have drivers with a variety work arounds depending on the times of the transfers. Saturdays are the worst days, Sundays are a doddle by comparison
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, Using Fernpass - you have to keep a close eye on the weather and traffic condition. I useded it and conditions where ok, but is has become better as the Autobahn now goes all the way to the border.

But we found at tanktruck ahead - that did costed some time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
4 Hours from Munich could have you driving right past Flachau and be parked up in a ski resort in Slovenia. Or the Dolomites.
Been there, done both, several times.
I'd have guesstimated Flachau or Radstadt at a smidge over 2 hours. Plus 15mins for a pit-stop to buy a vignette (if renting a car).
ski holidays
@Hyst, which autobahn do you mean? The A7 has been extended down to the border and ends at Reutte now right on the border. But then you get caught in the Blockanfertigung for the tunnels between the end of the A7 and the Fern Tunnel itself. Coming from Munich you would not use that part of the Fern Pass route; you can join at Lermoos and risk being caught at the tunnel or you can go through Ehrwald and Biberwier and avoid all the tunnels completely. The slowest section could be from the end of the A95 at Eschenlohe into Garmisch and out through Grainau on the B23 (leaves the B2 just after the Farchant Tunnel). Once you hit the A12 just after Imst you are restricted to 100kmh due to the environmental control laws they have introduced in Tirol.
latest report
@queen bodecia, @Samerberg Sue, @andy, ok, thanks. I just looked quickly on directions on my windows phone, which has been known to take me on a bogus route on more than one occasion.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, Came down all the way on A7 (not from Munich)
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, drop a message to flangesax, they have a lovely chalet/guest house in Radstadt, part of the same ski area as Flachau. Very child friendly (they have adorable kids) and able to accommodate different changeover days.
snow conditions
I'd go Kitzbühel, covers most of your bases. I've stayed in Jochberg which doesn't have nightlife but the has decent access to the mountain. The road journey is pretty easy apart from all the delays around Kufstein.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 6-04-16 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wherever it should be that you decide to go, I would get your accommodation sorted fairly soon as I think that you will be going at Fasching time. Shrove Tuesday big big celebrations. very popular holiday time.
Not being negative about it (just the opposite) but do get somewhere booked and then really enjoy the atmosphere
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy