Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I want new skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Buy red ones. You won't regret it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pynch, I think the Black Pearls are 173 which spyderjon assured me was about right.

@Hurtle, I'm sure the Scotts that spyderjon had were called Reverse rather than Luna. There doesn't seem to be a Luna or a Reverse on the Scott website. Most confusing!

Timberwolf, red doesn't go with purple! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia wrote:

red doesn't go with purple!

Who cares, they're quicker
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queen bodecia, that's weird. Mine are brand new and they say Luna on them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, Please tell me it doesn't say tic on the bases wink Laughing NehNeh

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 10-10-16 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the skiBase page for Scott it says the Luna are the ladies version of the Reverse - it seems they come in one shorter length and have a different topsheet ..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queen bodecia, I'm sure he is right!

If you do decide on the Brahmas as @Perty was suggesting, rather than the Black Pearls, they really are pretty stiff so poss worth trying some of the shorter sizes before you buy. I'm 6ft / c.80kg and love the 180 Brahma, but the 187 would be way too much ski for me and I did consider dropping to the 173 of those myself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarpa, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queen bodecia, the Scott Reverse is a unisex ski and the Scott Luna is the ladies ski and they are the same apart from the graphic. The Reverse comes in 166, 176 and 184cm lengths compared to the 156, 166 and 176cm Luna.

The Scott Luna/Reverse are the direct competitors to the Blizzard Black Pearls.

On rockered skis you need to go long otherwise the running length on hardpack will be too short. And then in the soft stuff the ski length grows to give fore/aft stability as well as effectively moving the mounting point back so allowing a centered stance rather than the any of that leaning back nonsense to keep the tips up. This is why I put you on the longer 173cm Black Pearl as opposed to a shorter Brahma - the Brahma being a Black Pearl with added titanal laters (not titanium) to stiffen them up. Although the Brahma would be the slightly stiffer of the two there actually wouldn't be that much difference in the flex but for your stats/skiing level/level of aggression (yes I was watching you) the longer length in the slightly softer flex is the better all mountain package. It would be different if you'd asked for a piste performance ski as then I'd have recommended something shorter, stiffer and with conventional - but that wasn't your brief.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^ He knows what he's talking about Cool

I'm sure that we can get you doing a bit more off the sides this season Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, thanks for the explanation. I'm not looking for a piste performance ski, that's just what I have already with knobs on. I'm definitely looking for something more all mountain which handles piste conditions (hardpack, slush, bumps) and lets me play in nice soft snow at the side of the piste, plus gives me stability and holds a decent edge. You know all this which is why the skis you suggested for me are spot on. I don't have any qualms about the length, if I can handle that indoors then outdoors it's less of an issue. I'm a big girl (ahem!) after all...

I'll drop you an email for some prices... Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

He knows what he's talking about
He certainly does! You might like to know, Jon, that at Hemel yesterday, skimottaret (can't use his real name, it's too confusing in this context! ) said he'd never seen me ski shorts better. That's entirely down to the new skis, I reckon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle, You were wearing shorts? Shocked Green suede? Are you taking this Austrian ski lark more seriously than I thought Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled wink

PS I really need to get a proper ski in with you this year. It's been way too long Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa, Laughing And yes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
Well this is confusing. Loved the Blizzard Black Pearl and Scott skis yesterday.
I found that I didn't like the smaller skis so much, they just didn't seem as stable.

Yep, I found exactly the same, to my surprise. Sadly, I really didn't get to try enough of the Scotts; didn't really know anything about them until Sunday and it all went by so quick... Would love to try a lot more.
I was very disappointed with a number of the ladies piste ski models which I tried. They weren't performing as well as my own old little carver/piste skis which I'd taken with me and tried before, during and after the test as a control. (OK, I'm used to them - but I also like them a lot.) Some might have just been the wrong length for me; but some were techncially just about right.
I think that the BBP and Luna/Reverse (which, techncially is the female and male version respectively, and slightly different according to some web sites) handled well maybe because of the softer conditions - but sadly I didn't get to try them when it got more icy/scraped later on.

queen bodecia wrote:
There's another test at Tamworth next month. I hope to cure myself of indecisiveness after that.

With my head also whirling in shiny new toy mode, I am also toying of going to that - but the drive's a bit bit much for me. Do you know the date yet? If you might be able to offer a lift/fuel share part way, please pm me.
Also, I found out on Sunday that Snow and Rock at Chill Factore do a £15 (+ lift pass, £35 for a day/week) 'as long as you want' demo of their test fleet, so I reckon that's at least a few days more of messing around for me (don't do Scotts or Black Pearls though). If you want to join up and compare notes, etc, again pm me. May go down soon with Mr G who wants to try out boards.
latest report
@Grizzler, I can't find any dates online as yet, but the EB chap on Sunday said it would be a Wednesday evening in November.

Happy to car share if it's convenient. I'll be driving from work via home (Sherwood Forest > Amber Valley > Tamworth). My car is smallish but three ladies with ski boots will be fine (Maggi is coming too).
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, Thanks. I think that if it's just a weekday evening then it's maybe too long a way (and a late night now it's hibernation season wink ). If in the daytime then perhaps worth a go; else I'll stick to S&R and Jon.
Enjoy, if I don't see you.
latest report
queen bodecia - Mon 10 Oct, 16 wrote:
There's another test at Tamworth next month. I hope to cure myself of indecisiveness after that.

queen bodecia - Mon 10 Oct, 16 wrote:
I'm definitely going to try a couple more at the Tamworth test before I make a decision.

Is this happening? Theres a couple of skis I'd really like to try again!
Might ask in the 16/17 snowEvents thread
snow conditions
@letsgetpiste, I think this is probably Ellis Brigham's own event - I see mentions of their 'Big Ski' event at Tamworth in November of previous years.
snow conditions
@letsgetpiste, @Tubaski, EB in Glasgow are certainly holding a Big Ski test event in November and I got the impression it wasn't just GLasgow doing such a thing - the guy in the shop was talking about shipping their fleets of test skis around the country that month, and getting lots of extras stuff in from distributors.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy