Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski choice advice/factors

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to France in a couple of weeks. Looking for a advice - or even factors to take into account when making a decision on which skis to take.

As a skier, I am a motorway cruiser, enjoying the blues and on a nice day the wide reds. I'll ski most runs, but don't necessarily enjoy the hairy steep ones and I won't venture far off piste.

I have an old pair of all-mountain Rossignol Bandits, which are 168s. I'm 5"10 and got on great with them but they are probably at the top end, height wise, for me. So, earlier this year I treated myself to a new pair of Rossignol Carbon skis, which are 164s, in the hope that their shorter length might bring a bit of extra control, and thinking they were designed for on-piste skiing. However, having had a few days around Scotland with them, plus a week in Italy, I'm not sure I enjoyed the Carbons and I'm thinking of reverting to the Bandits. I'm fairly new to the skiing mullarkey, having taken it up 5 years ago at age 35, and I'm not particularly ITK about the equipment.

Can anyone help with my decision factoring?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@aljay, your height makes virtually no difference. Skis don't know how tall you are.

Your weight however is a different thing entirely.

What do you weigh?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, "Rossignol Carbon" doesn't identify the skis. From the "Pursuit" range? Carbon 400 or Carbon 200?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, I'm 12st 7 lb. They are Rossi Pursuit Carbon Xelium 11 100s. These: http://www.skroutz.gr/s/3899709/Rossignol-Pursuit-11-Carbon-Xelium-100S.html

cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

your height makes virtually no difference. Skis don't know how tall you are.

what about leverage and the fact 2/3 of your mass is in your upper body

got anything remotely scientific for me to read as i just cant see how it doesn't matter at some level Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your new Rossi skis are very turny and reactive compared to your old Bandits (IIRC came in X, XX, XXX), which may make them feel a bit twitchy in comparison).....what was it about them you didn't like?

It's possible a lesson would sort you out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

what was it about them you didn't like?

...Dont know really. They gave me sore legs quicker than i had expected and I just "felt" I wasnt skiing as well or comfortably as I'd expected to. That might have been - some or all of - because we were at higher altitude, the snow conditions, the unfamiliarity of a new resort and a tentative approach to new hills.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geeo, That's why I said "virtually". Maybe I should have said "practically".

To the average recreational skier, it makes no practical difference.

Technique or the lack therof will make much more of a difference.

And ski sizing is hardly a precise science.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aljay wrote:
Quote:

what was it about them you didn't like?

...Dont know really. They gave me sore legs quicker than i had expected and I just "felt" I wasnt skiing as well or comfortably as I'd expected to. That might have been - some or all of - because we were at higher altitude, the snow conditions, the unfamiliarity of a new resort and a tentative approach to new hills.

If your legs were sore, you may have been "left behind" when turning, forcing you into the back seat a little...your Bandits are probably more of an "armchair" ride.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geeo wrote:
Quote:

your height makes virtually no difference. Skis don't know how tall you are.

what about leverage and the fact 2/3 of your mass is in your upper body

got anything remotely scientific for me to read as i just cant see how it doesn't matter at some level Puzzled

Equally, where did you get that 2/3 of human weight is in the upper body? Would love to see that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@geeo, so, bear in mind that e.g. Rossignol provide just 5 sizes of ski in their "pursuit 200" to suit all sizes and weights and that their sizing chart (apart from FIS skis, which don't give you many options) only goes by weight http://media.rossignol.com//international/sizes/Alpine-Ski-1415.pdf

It's a little out of date but I am amused to see that my weight doesn't even feature for the Squad7.

Now, I have upon occasion (twice) skied a ski that I have thought, "designed for a burlier bloke than me" but as I often hoon around on FIS DH and SG boards, I don't think any off piste ski is going to scare me... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

Now, I have upon occasion (twice) skied a ski that I have thought, "designed for a burlier bloke than me" but as I often hoon around on FIS DH and SG boards, I don't think any off piste ski is going to scare me... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I know one manufacturer is bringing out a 202cm 105mm ski with two layers of metal (and I think a flat tail) next year...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, NFW! Awesome! Long skis are properly back.

Now they just need to make them skinny again wink he he he he
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If your legs were sore, you may have been "left behind" when turning, forcing you into the back seat a little...your Bandits are probably more of an "armchair" ride.

That's an interesting thought @old_fartbag - but can you expand further or explain how I might counter that? Or should I go with and and stick to the armchair if that's my style? Like I say, new to this so not fully equipped with the jargons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aljay wrote:
Quote:

That's an interesting thought @old_fartbag - but can you expand further or explain how I might counter that? Or should I go with and and stick to the armchair if that's my style? Like I say, new to this so not fully equipped with the jargons.

I'll do my best...but I'm not an instructor.

Your Bandits will have much less of a sidecut..Which probably have a turn radius of about 17m (bigger if XX). That makes them comfortable doing Medium/Long turns.

Your new skis are much more shaped and have something like a 12M turn radius (I think), which will turn like lightening and behave more like a de-tuned slalom ski, with regard to hammering out short turns. If you don't "keep up" with the quickness that they turn, when rolled onto the edge, they can leave you a bit in the back seat (sitting back puts extra strain on your legs, as your muscles (rather than your skeleton) are holding you up.

IMO On Med/Long turns, it's partly about early weight transfer, pressing forward, as well as across, at the start of the turn; being in total control at the end of the turn and keeping your arms forward. On Short turns, it's about getting the tips to bite, riding the edges of both skis and not being thrown back by the "pop" at the end of the turn.

My attempt at an explanation is very simplistic, but might give you an idea.

It's quite likely that I'm not on the right track...but it's a possibility. FWIW. I have to change my focus a bit when jumping on a Slalom ski (from a 17m radius one), as everything happens that bit quicker....a bit like jumping from a Volvo Estate into a Lotus Elise!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 17-03-16 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great explanation, thanks. We're off to the familiarly wide cruisey blue slopes of Valmorel. I'm happy being more direct there, so stability at relatively higher speeds will be more important than the ability to turn and stop quickly. Might be that I get the bandits serviced.
snow conditions
aljay wrote:
Great explanation, thanks. We're off to the familiarly wide cruisey blue slopes of Valmorel. I'm happy being more direct there, so stability at relatively higher speeds will be more important than the ability to turn and stop quickly. Might be that I get the bandits serviced.

FWIW. I've just added a bit to my post, where I give some thoughts on how to keep up with the skis and not get left behind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy