Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski in Ski out.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Masque wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Shocked ooo Betty!

It was a fair suggestion I thought, no need for abuse. Clearly this is something you feel strongly about, and consumers taking their money elsewhere is the best way to get commercial enterprises to sit up and take notice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk, hmmm, I thought I was pulling yer plonker wink No abuse intended, pax?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, hmmm, I thought I was pulling yer plonker wink No abuse intended, pax?

OK, apologies for misunderstanding (although in my defence I have been accused of being shallow and (by implication) lazy, disorganised and requiring of instant gratification in this thread so it's been a little tricky working out what your motivation is).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, I dont really see your point. Beach resorts are not going to be built inland; whats the problem wth building in the mountains. You think thats environmentally bad then wait till a billion chinese switch on their new air-conditioning. Sorry but IO wouldnt even consider staying somewhere like Brides de la Bains for a week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:

I think our devotion and dependence on our car has fueled this need for ski in ski out convenience. The simple fact that without it we mourn its loss and feel demeaned and uncomfortable in the need to use public transport and are completely unprepared mentally to share a crowded space with others. It's alien to us so we demand accommodation that eliminated the need for any type of transport. Earlier I postulated it was laziness, could anxiety be the stronger motivation.

Well, I don't drive and I like ski-in/ski-out. Walking around on icey streets in ski boots with a pair of skis is a pain in the ar$e which I would prefer to avoid, as is being jammed into a skibus at London Underground packing fractions with added skis and poles. I feel you may need to re-think this theory of yours wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For anyone interested in some of the pros & cons of new vrigin ski in/out resort development try searching for Jumbo Glacier a proposed new resort in BC. Heres the official website
and for balance one of the opposing ones:

http://www.jumboglacierresort.com/
http://www.jumbowild.com/Jumbo_JGR.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, I am trying to hold this to skiing since by definition it is active recreation, especially in comparison to most beach holidays . . . unless you're a Manumission regular? (can't really see you in leather chaps and a medalion . . . though some might Madeye-Smiley)

We could get into the resource needs of each type of holiday but I'm trying to keep this to our attitudes and motivations for what we demand from our ski accommodation.

rob@rar.org.uk, Sorry Rob, I'm just pushing the envelope to drive thought and emotion. That and my humour tends to be dryer than Scarpa's love life.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, actually, you illustrate it. You want absolute convenience and I believe that is driving the type of development we're seeing. Do you think that given a comfortable and convenient transport infrastructure to get you to the lifts you would need to be able to 'ski in ski out'?
Could I call you selfish for demanding resort facilities that suit your self indulgence? It's a serious question that is being asked about high mountain development. Just because you have the wherewithal to fund it, it may mean a long term detriment to your kids. Do you think about sustainability for the long term pleasure of our sport.

No, I'm not targeting you, I'm just pointing out that we're now able to satisfy our indulgences . . . how long can we continue and what next?

We bear a responsibility for the way that mountain development has progressed, how much do we recognise our role in that?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, although I did not like the Disney-esque way of things, Whistler did have the ski bus thing almost perfect, regular, and skis went in slots on the outside of the bus, so no poking people with them. Mostly they were quiet too. I think I prefer my short (200m) walk to the slopes though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you give us a hint as to what the project is Masque? I'm intrigued.

I have stayed in ski in/ski out accommodation and accommodation where a bus ride or walk was required. I don't mind a walk or bus ride but it's a real pain when you have to get young children organised and to a different part of the mountain for lessons before you can get on the slopes yourself.

I was not in ski in and out accommodation last Easter and it ate up loads of time getting the children up to a mountain without much skiing for the more experienced skiers and then getting away and back to collect them.

I'm really looking forward to a hotel that is right on the piste in February though. Think it has been there for years if that is any defence in the environmental debate! Also it is not a resort particularly over-run with Brits as far as I know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aidancostello, Id love to but I'd have to steal your eldest daughter wink Still in the middle of trademarking etc. so not yet. That and far more energy and resources are being consumed by another matter.

I'm trying to look at the long term historical role we've played in resort development and where does it go from here. But I bet your parents were far less fussed than you are with sheparding the family flock around a holiday.

It's all to do with comfort zones and expectations?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy