Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire for a 5 almost 6 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Idiotic question time. This is my 5 year olds (he's a couple of months off 6) 5th week of skiing lessons at Easter, 2nd time this season. He can pelt down greens and and the Courchevel kids boarder x type stuff fine. Blues he is now fine on, getting parallel on easier sections, snow plough where its steeper, and he was merrily ploughing reds with his instructor at half term.

Looking at ski hire in France there is no category choice until the 7-13 year old category (ie blue, red, 3*, 4* etc). For age 6 and under there is just one category "infant skis, eg. Hello Kitty/Disney's Planes". Are these going to be too basic ? Should I be looking at the 7-13 category blue pack even though he is only 5, or do I just stick with the cheapo under 6 Disney Planes type skis or are they more toys/purely absolute beginners??? I guess in any case the shop will sort out correct length etc based on height/weight...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gazzza, from previous experience, go with the 7 yr skis and on the comments section outline the situation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not buy your own? Would get decent value if he goes often, esp if there are younger siblings, then sell on when done. And they are not a pain to carry as not too long and pretty light at that age?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How tall is he (in cm)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are plenty of kids who aren't on toy skis at that age. I'm sure the rental shop will sort you out with what he needs.

I have 6 & 8 year old boys and have always been able to get them kitted properly without difficulty. The 8 year had some wicked GS'ers when we in Selva before Christmas which made him even harder to catch. Any more of that and he'll be back on the Disney planes....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our boy is the same age as yours and sounds similar ability. He just moved up to 100cm skis for what it's worth. We do season rental from Stockli and the only choice is length, although even the shortest (80cm) skis look the same quality. Not sure about other brands. Perhaps you can ask for a certain length when ordering?

http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-youth-skis-size-chart-and-guide.aspx
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster wrote:
Why not buy your own? Would get decent value if he goes often, esp if there are younger siblings, then sell on when done. And they are not a pain to carry as not too long and pretty light at that age?

Snow and Rock used to do a kids "Buy Back" scheme....they probably still do. Maybe worth the OP checking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gazzza, how tall is the lad? I've bought the last couple of pairs of junior juniors ski's off of snowHead and if his height is suitable possibly have some that will do him for less than hire price which you can then sell on at no loss.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, your lad sounds as though he's doing brilliantly on his " infant" skis. Why worry? He'll be out-skiing you soon enough. wink

My younger son (now not far off 40 Shocked ) skis on anything. When he was skiing at the top of Tignes on a pair left in a chalet where was cooking one ski delaminated in a terminal sort of way so he skied back down to Val d'Isere on the other. He is by light years the best skier in the family and by far the least fussed about what planks are on his feet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've probably left it a bit late to buy this season/trip, and he is the youngest, but maybe next season.

He's 122-123cm tall and around 22-23kg, which corresponds to the 7 y.o. on that evo chart, so I think question answered, I'll pay the extra euros and reserve the 7 year old skis, blue pack, then sort out on collection.

His elder brother 8 year old isn't far off keeping up with us, another year or two and I fear he'll be be putting me to shame. Already, last year in the family park he threw himself over one of the jumps that I bottled & intentionally avoided (and he landed it quite comfortably) !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy