Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stop on the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@limegreen1, too fast to be sure but it looks to me as though he hits some sort of bump, skis out in front, effectively on his back and it goes enormously pear shaped from there...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@limegreen1, yep you're right. Hadn't watched it in fullscreen before so didn't see that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@limegreen1,
I tend to agree with your diagnosis if not fully on board with your treatment regime!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For all the bluster on this thread, surely the answer is to is within your ability and be considerate of others? If stopping, go near the side of the piste where people can see you. It's not rocket science.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, that is stupid fast, Sauliere is easy to pick speed up on but Shocked Hopefully memory of having nearly taken out a class of kids will stick with him for a while as a moderating influence, he did look pretty shaken up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@galpinos, quite. I foresee a 4 page thread on "how do you ties your shoelaces?" next.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well there's at least 2 ways to do that. And there's the mathematically minimalistic way to tie the laces too, all in one motion.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
@Andy4467, the sheer insanity/stupidity/selfishness of youth. Would have been terrible if he hit anyone when bowling down that slope out of control. Assume a few choice words were used after the camera sequence ended.

Im sure there were a few choice words ! .. it just beggars belief, the gall that some people have , to actually go out and ski like that with no care for other people ..... what is the guy thinking ? ........

I mean, who actually goes out in red ski pants and a tartan jacket

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 19-03-16 9:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely near the edge. Definitely not in the middle unless she's fallen.

Had an argument with a Brit instructor giving a lesson to a small group in Avoriaz a few years ago. He'd stopped his small group right slap bang in the middle of a blue in the trees, on a bend in the piste. Yes, I have to give way to the group below me and did so but my range of options for avoiding them were severely limited. His point was that a blue was a slope for beginners. My point was that I accept it's not a black but he needs to teach them to stop near the edges of the piste as it's a narrow one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wadgebeast wrote:
His point was that a blue was a slope for beginners.

A blue piste is for everyone, including beginners. There's not something in the FIS code which says that once you're capable of skiing a red you can no longer ski blues & greens. Arguably you have to be more aware of there being beginners around, but I'm probably more aware on a red run because there usually seem to be more people out of their comfort zone.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The rules are mainly common sense and sensible but unfortunately some (more than an insignificant number of) people on the slopes don't respect them whether this beginners, (adventurous) intermediates, experts, instructors, children, senior citizens, women, men, skiers, or snowboarders. There should also be an additional specific rule regarding drinking and skiing/snowboarding. This same bad behaviour also occurs whilst waiting for lifts, whilst opening/closing lift bars, and while on/in a ski lift. An inconsiderate and reckless person doesn't suddenly become good as soon as they arrive at a ski resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Common sense" is actually quite a tall order. It implies a lot of judgement which may change from day to day depending on condition.

As in the example of ESF instructor stopping the group in the bend of a piste. Although qualified for "edge of piste" and even "visible from above", a difficult bend at a piste that skiers of all ability use increase the risk that less able skiers/boarder might just lose their edge and crash into the group. But perhaps that bend wasn't normally that difficult during non-peak time and with good snow?

I instruct part time in a very small mountain. I pretty much knows every yard of every piste. Still, one day after the previous day's rain refreeze, one of our "usual" gathering point for groups turned into a run out zone for out of control skiers who got in over their head FOR THE DAY'S CONDITION! Even my fellow instructor teaching a higher level class nearly took out my group because he was going a bit too fast for the day's condition.

On the middle vs edge discussion, I'm surprised no one mention the following:

The way we skiers stop (side way to the fall line) makes it difficult to see the back half of the piste when stopping in the middle of the piste.

So to me, the biggest benefit of stopping near the edge of the piste (with my back to the edge of the piste), is that I have much better visibility FOR ME to see what's coming towards me.

(this necessitates pointing my skis IN towards the piste. Ease of starting off again being another side benefit)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't know why its called common sense as it often doesn't appear to be too common.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy