Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stop on the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
I was tagging along for a few days on the birthday bash with my girlfriend, who's a brave beginner. I was skiing slowly in front of her.

At one point, we stopped on a wide near-empty blue run so I could give her some tips (not beyond a roll-over or anything like that). Half a minute later, a passing skier told us to move away as we could get hit. I said we're visible enough and left it at that. (all in English, but I don't think the skier was a snowhead).

Now: I know that the standard rule is to stop at the side of the piste. However, I'm not 100% convinced of its wisdom:
- beginners might find it difficult to initiate the turn if their skis are already pointing away from the piste, at the edge (depending of course on what's beyond the piste) - sometimes there's no room to turn
- there are often faster skiërs threading their way down at the edge of the piste. While I pretty much always look up before stopping, beginners may not. I've seen more than once near-collisions right at the edge. At least in the middle there are two ways to go for the uphill skier who loses control
- there's little difference between a stopped skier and a slowly moving skier for a fast uphill skier - so what's the problem? (if anything, more skiërs stopped in the middle of the piste may make the faster skiërs slow down a bit).

I would stop at the side when the piste was busy, but not when it's empty and visibility is high.

Am I doing this wrong?

PS: my girlfriend got hit by an Italian teenage girl a day later, when she was skiing (still slowly) behind me. Fortunately no injuries anywhere, but I for one would have preferred to have a few human posts stopped above her:-)

PS2: this is not a problem where I usually ski, ie offpiste Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep - stop at the side. Leaving the punters in the middle of the piste the room to make decisions and errors is a good idea. Anyone getting close to you down the side has a fair chance of knowing what they are doing. Not to hard for even beginners to turn to a stop so they are facing into piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely, @horizon, stop at the side. 1. It makes most sense. 2. Them's the rules.

And look that it's clear uphill before setting off...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not at the very edge, but near the edge, skis pointing towards the piste. go behind others in the group that are stopped, and stop below them (that way you don't take them out like dominos).

imho.

faster skiers, and worse still boarders straightlining that last 1m at the edge between stopped snow users and the very edge p155 me off. and even worse still, those trying to do stunts off the piste edge bumps and stuff where stopped people are clearly in the landing and bail in to a turn zone.

but that bit often has a bit more fluff, so the posers can show off their ability to go fast in the fall line in a narrow corridor.

I'll either leave 3m or cut off their line, depending on how I feel, and how wide the piste is.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll always ski on the edge of a busy piste because I know in the middle "there be dragons" and as Andy's helpfully identified the snow is just in better nick. Obviously I'm happy to take on board the consequences of being a poser and occasionally the need to bail off the side when someone totally shuts the door.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The middle of the piste is strictly reserved as a discussion & smoking area for seated snowboarders. Skiers are only permitted to traverse across the middle of the piste - if clear, and not to linger therein. Apart from the high speed black lanes comprising the outside metre of all pistes, the side of the piste is the only permitted stopping area for skiers (maximum wait 5 minutes). Skiers should therefore be especially aware when approaching a brow in the piste, to ensure they avoid any seated boarders immediately thereafter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If youre a boarder you can stop in the middke just below a ridge, if theres a few then they can form an orderly line across the piste, then even set off without looking up.. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A bar or restaurant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stop anywhere you want.

There are no lanes or lines (onpiste).

If someone crashes into you, punch or sue them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did punch a boarder in the kidneys on Saturday.
If yer gonna slide down backwards on toe edge, chatting to your mates uphill, at least have the decency to use the eyes in the back of your helmet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At the bottom.

Don't be a bottom.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yorkshirelad wrote:
If youre a boarder you can stop in the middke just below a ridge, if theres a few then they can form an orderly line across the piste, then even set off without looking up.. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

+1 Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JamesN wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

+1 Toofy Grin

And boarders have the right to plonk themselves down on their bottoms and fart about with bindings at all lifts exits and all narrow entrances to pistes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There seems to be, if not a consensus, a heavy majority for edge-of-piste stopping. Thanks. Will take more care next time I'm skiing on piste.
ski holidays
The rule about stopping at the side of the piste is VERY widely ignored. I'm not saying that is a good thing. I'd suggest the right thing (for you) to do is to stop at the side, but not necessarily the edge of the piste. If it's really not busy then it doesn't matter too much anyway.
snow conditions
@horizon, Best thing is to avoid pistes...... dangerous places wink

If you have to, at the edge, obv.
ski holidays
@horizon, I've taken to stopping a metre or so out from the edge, unless it's a narrow piste, on the basis that I offer an out of control skier or boarder two routes past me rather than one.

I was also told by an instructor a while ago that it was safer to try to stand almost pointing down the hill, rather than straight across it, so that if someone runs into you they are more likely to send you sliding (with some risk of something nasty happening) rather than knocking you straight over sideways (with a greater risk of something nasty happening). It makes sense, so I try to do it.
ski holidays
Perhaps this issue is akin to the one where some people have convinced themselves that it's safer to remain in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway?

...that the highway/skier's code is merely a suggestion as to best practice, but may be overruled by a personal difference of opinion.

Anyway, the inconsiderate/ignorant outnumber the considerate-but-errant by a couple of orders of magnitude. As the former are thus unlikely to read Snowheads, it may be best to produce pads of self-adhesive stickers with a summary of the skier's code below a headline such as "MEA CULPA!" - that flouters can be slapped with.
latest report
@crosbie, if you stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway you don't expect other vehicles to come whizzing past you on the grass verge. Sadly, the same is not true on the slopes. Sad
ski holidays
@crosbie, I wonder if the skiers code is actually anything more than just recommendations. Much like the Countryside code. While following the skiers code may have some benefit in the event of an accident (as you were following 'best practice') I don't think it has any status in law and cannot be enforced.
snow conditions
if you're good enough to claim to be spending all your time skiing off piste you shouldn't really need any help or advice on where to be stopping when you're on piste Puzzled
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
if you're good enough to claim to be spending all your time skiing off piste you shouldn't really need any help or advice on where to be stopping when you're on piste Puzzled
That was a slightly unnecessary response. Horizon wasn't asking what the official guidance was, he was querying the wisdom of it.
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
@crosbie, if you stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway you don't expect other vehicles to come whizzing past you on the grass verge. Sadly, the same is not true on the slopes. Sad

But there isn't really any equivalent of the hard shoulder (or grass verges) on a ski piste. The whole width is available to ski on, and in most cases, the are outside the groomed piste is also available to those with the skills (and intended to be available).

Personally, I always try to stop 3-4 yards in from the edge, so there is room for anybody who wants to go around me to do so, while I'm still out of the way for most people skiing the piste.
snow report
makes little sense to me that someone would need advise on where to stop. its common sense, and looking for a hard fast rule is going to get you in trouble.

I saw someone crash into a ski school group the other day where a instructor had stopped on the right hand side of a fast cat track where people come down quickly into a left hand bend.

someone came down fast and turned to make the left hand bend, lost there edges and slid into about 4 kids.

The instructor went mental, but everyone knows that people taking that bend do it at speed and stopping there wasn't a good idea. The instructor technically did nothing wrong stopping there, but it displayed poor judgement.

just use common sense.....
snow report
Quote:

not at the very edge, but near the edge, skis pointing towards the piste. go behind others in the group that are stopped, and stop below them (that way you don't take them out like dominos).

This is the best general advice I think. But I'd add a couple of caveats
1. on a very wide piste you can sometimes end up with parallel streams of skiers towards each edge, particularly if there is some transverse slope or a central rise. In these cases there can be a natural "island" in the flow in the middle. I sometimes use that
2. always consider stopping just OFF the piste. If the snow is difficult or there is a steep drop or bank then that doesn't make sense for beginners but if the terrain and snow are relatively friendly then I think this is the ideal place to be - 1m off the piste with skis pointing back on
snow conditions
Stop by the piste markers, its not a hard concept.

There is often a "hard shoulder" where people slalom the poles/ make moguls on the sides of pistes.
snow report
I stopped about 1m from the edge of a wide piste yesterday (piste was a good 25m wide at that point), and somebody skied past me and told me that I should stop at the edge of the piste Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@horizon, Rule 1. Always stop at the side of the piste. 2. If in doubt, refer to rule 1.

Beginners should not be on a piste if they can't turn and stop with control.

I'm not sure why this is even being discussed.

@foxtrotzulu, Are you referring to the FIS Rules of conduct for skier and snowboarder? Try crashing into a skier/boarder downhill from you causing them damage within sight of a pisteur and you'll see exactly how they can be enforced.
http://www.uksnowsports.co.uk/downloads/FIS%20Code%20of%20Conduct%20-%2010%20points%202010.pdf

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 16-03-16 11:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
To comments heard on the piste:

"Don't stop on the middle of the piste, move to the side out of the way."

"Don't stop at the side of the piste, it's the only decent turning snow."

People will always stop on the piste, to check / wait for others, to rest, to recover from a fall, or just to enjoy the view - yes, this is an activity people do for fun and they are allowed to enjoy themselves.

I either try to move a few feet off the piste entirely, or find a spot towards the edge but avoiding what looks like the tastiest snow.

Oh, and do stop this crap about "snowboarders blocking piste entrances" or "snowboarders stopping around corners or out of sight over drops."

It's done by people who can't be arsed to spare a thought for anyone else on the piste, irrespective of how many bits of slidey stuff they have strapped to their feet. Laughing
ski holidays
@andy,
Quote:

I'll either leave 3m or cut off their line, depending on how I feel, and how wide the piste is.

Quote:

Did punch a boarder in the kidneys on Saturday

I'm with @Dave of the Marmottes, on this one, mostly because @andy comes across as a founder member of our sister forum kH. Toofy Grin
latest report
Clearly the only acceptable place to stop on a piste is at an apres-ski bar. These are scattered around the mountain in convenient locations, usually found just to the edge of the piste. NehNeh

I always tend stop right at the edge of the piste, as the pile of snow usually banked at the edge makes for a handy seat as a snowboarder. Or failing that just off the piste where there is either soft snow to kneel in or some other bank or terrain to sit on.

I nearly always use the outer edges of pistes as there is less traffic and the snow is invariably better given there is usually actually some snow to turn in where everyone using the centre has kindly swept it to the sides. So please stick to the skiing in the centre and not stopping and blocking the 3m piste edge corridor. snowHead
latest report
@Gazzza, Yep, to all of the above!
snow report
BigSouthernJesse wrote:
To comments heard on the piste:

"Don't stop on the middle of the piste, move to the side out of the way."

"Don't stop at the side of the piste, it's the only decent turning snow."

People will always stop on the piste, to check / wait for others, to rest, to recover from a fall, or just to enjoy the view - yes, this is an activity people do for fun and they are allowed to enjoy themselves.

I either try to move a few feet off the piste entirely, or find a spot towards the edge but avoiding what looks like the tastiest snow.

Oh, and do stop this crap about "snowboarders blocking piste entrances" or "snowboarders stopping around corners or out of sight over drops."

It's done by people who can't be arsed to spare a thought for anyone else on the piste, irrespective of how many bits of slidey stuff they have strapped to their feet. Laughing

when did you last see a group of skiers sat on their back bottoms in a line across the slope????? Laughing
ski holidays
@iskar, I regularly see skiers standing at a pinch point with skis perpendicular to the slope. Idiots are idiots, doesn't matter what they have strapped to their feet.
snow report
Look, just accept that it's a skier and simply can't cope with something that may obstruct it's optimal progression from points A to B. Just be safe in the knowledge that you are having more fun while they're fretting about carving angulation, improper pole plants and inner tip lead.
ski holidays
@iskar, Snowboarders sit on a slope as it's more comfortable and easier to start moving again.

Skiers stand on the flat sections as it is easier to stay still, and you have those wonderful poles to get you moving again.

Trust me, once you have no form of propulsion except gravity, you become acutely aware of obstructions to the flat areas you are trying to carry your speed through in order to cross with drifting to a halt. There are plenty of skiers who will pause in a line across such an area.

Happens just as regularly as snowboarders line up on a slope. Very Happy
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
@horizon,

I was also told by an instructor a while ago that it was safer to try to stand almost pointing down the hill, rather than straight across it, so that if someone runs into you they are more likely to send you sliding (with some risk of something nasty happening) rather than knocking you straight over sideways (with a greater risk of something nasty happening). It makes sense, so I try to do it.

I recall being told that and sounds good advice, I must better remember to do it.
ski holidays
Quote:

you become acutely aware of obstructions to the flat areas you are trying to carry your speed through

AMEN! SWMBO still forgets that big flat bits are not great regroup points for a pack of snowboarders when she's in the lead.
latest report
Yup, many's a time the bunch of skiers I'm with wonder why I'm sat off piste, a few metres up a bank, rather than standing around on the flat bit in the middle of the piste with them - debating left or right.

Even sat off piste you still have to check you're not in a landing zone.

One day we'll all be tracked and have haptic* feedback alerting us to any incoming 'potential colliders'.

* E.g. helmets that vibrate at an appropriate point around a rim resting against the head ('eyes in back of head' effect).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy