Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Gear (Redesigning)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys, I am a final year design student and currently doing a project on protective gear. I am looking into redesigning developing a new way in which the gear can be worn and used, I want to find some information about the kind of gear is most popularly used. The protective gear on the market currently are in skin tight option which protects the shoulders, back etc or the other option is a rucksack which has back protection in the back which can be pull in and out.

My current idea is a ski jacket idea in which you can slot/ clip areas of protection onto the jacket depending on what style of skiing/boarding you are doing that day. I know the skin tight suits are vey effective but do you really want to be wearing it all day when you might be on piste instead of off piste where their is less risk of injury? Just what to have a few ideas of what you guys think and whether it would be relivent to the type of skiing you do?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HollandMax

1. I don't know anyone who uses back protectors etc, other than occasionally in the park (and even then only a couple of people genuinely pushing it).
2. Presumably the protection has to be close fitting, and securely fixed in position, to work. I can't imagine a plate flapping around in a loose jacket doing much other than being annoying.

I think a more interesting and potentially viable area to look into would be avalanche airbag systems in things other than backpacks, or finding a way to make the airbag take up less room in a pack.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are looking at the idea of jackets / pants having protection you can put in or take out, have a look at motorcycle gear, they have been doing it for years.

To be honest, I wear my gear all the time....helmet, back protector, crash pants, wrist guards, knee supports. I wouldn't think, because I'm staying on piste I won't bother. Also, riding an icy piste is probably where most riders pickup their worst injuries.

Good luck with your new ideas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about looking at improving safety of the helmets, seems people wearing them still die from head injuries is there a design flaw?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
capstone wrote:
How about looking at improving safety of the helmets, seems people wearing them still die from head injuries is there a design flaw?

To the human skull? Good luck fixing that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
capstone wrote:

I don't think it's a design flaw, I think it's a case that nothing can ever make a dangerous pursuit 100% safe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Before you go designing a better mousetrap I suggest you try using existing mousetraps. Close fitting back protectors are barely noticeable to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Built in protection works in a motor bike jacket because its fairly thick and tight fitting. I wouldn't want to ski in a thick and tight fitting jacket.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
capstone wrote:

Its been posted on here before that the test standard for helmets is a drop test from not very high, equating to a not very high speed impact. For a helmet to pass a 50 or 100 km impact test you would probably have to cover it in airbags. Now there's an idea...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's an idea you can have for free. Current metal blade shovels sit in my pack generally being in the way a bit, crushing my ritter sport, that sort of thing.

Can you design a back protector I can wear under my outer jacket that is a shovel? Extra marks if you can get a simple and secure system for clipping the handle and probe to either side without being a hazard to me (no sticky inny bits) and if it is very quick to deploy (remember if I am using them in anger someone has quite a high risk of being dead)

In return for my idea if you make more than one I get one for free. x
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HollandMax wrote:
Hey Guys, I am a final year design student and currently doing a project on protective gear. I am looking into redesigning developing a new way in which the gear can be worn and used, I want to find some information about the kind of gear is most popularly used. The protective gear on the market currently are in skin tight option which protects the shoulders, back etc or the other option is a rucksack which has back protection in the back which can be pull in and out.

My current idea is a ski jacket idea in which you can slot/ clip areas of protection onto the jacket depending on what style of skiing/boarding you are doing that day. I know the skin tight suits are vey effective but do you really want to be wearing it all day when you might be on piste instead of off piste where their is less risk of injury? Just what to have a few ideas of what you guys think and whether it would be relivent to the type of skiing you do?

Thanks

Sorry Max, someone beat you to it, more than 10 years ago - an american based company were making exactly what you describe, I even had a prototype, might still have the jacket somewhere.

The backpacks you describe are on the market today, have been so for 15 years!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
Here's an idea you can have for free. Current metal blade shovels sit in my pack generally being in the way a bit, crushing my ritter sport, that sort of thing.

Can you design a back protector I can wear under my outer jacket that is a shovel? Extra marks if you can get a simple and secure system for clipping the handle and probe to either side without being a hazard to me (no sticky inny bits) and if it is very quick to deploy (remember if I am using them in anger someone has quite a high risk of being dead)

In return for my idea if you make more than one I get one for free. x

This is a brilliant idea!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
1. I don't know anyone who uses back protectors etc, other than occasionally in the park (and even then only a couple of people genuinely pushing it)....
This.

Personally I'm not in the least concerned about bruising my bottom on a rail like a park rat is, or bruising my knees like a beginner. I'm in powder, that's why I'm there. You see the odd backpack which has some "spine protection" technology, but I doubt those were bought for that reason. Everyone rides with a pack anyway, and as someone pointed out there's a shovel there, but it's not intended for protection. I can't really see what the accident mechanism would be, in the back country, to need that sort of thing. There are no gap jumps, no rails, and if people are inverted it's over 3m of powder.

That's probably why I see almost no park gear out there (and I do see people getting changed, ha ha), except on the occasional park rat trying something different.

Even so, I'm not sure how it would work. They'd have one jacket, and they'd take bits out of it when they went on and off piste? And store the spare bits in their back pack? I suppose they'd buy the jacket and then take bits of it out to go to the pub, then lose them.

We've seen similar ideas for "integrated" jackets in regard to insulation. It's the opposite approach to "layering". I'm a big fan of layering.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax wrote:
Digger the dinosaur wrote:

This is a brilliant idea!

It would be nice to be able to put a kind of harness on in the morning, like putting transceiver on, then just forget it is there completely unless I need it, as long as I can literally whip my jacket off in the event of rescue and the gear is right there I can't see a downside. Good for those days I want to do lift served off piste (or even don't have a plan and just see what happens, but not carrying a load of extra gear) it avoids the gut wrenching horrible feeling when you decide that you are having a piste day and leave the pack at home, then see an epic untracked line from the first lift.

Also gets around the PITA liftie who insists I take my pack off even though it is tiny, if it is under my jacket and very low profile then no faff. Yet another barrier to carrying appropriate gear off piste for the minimalists too, so potential safety benefit for people who hate carrying a pack.

Plus if I am skiing on piste and get smashed by out of control maniac then my spine has a bit of protection from the metal shovel/protector thing. I don't expect that the serious backcountry guys will see a benefit, but I guess it avoids the problem of a pack full of other stuff with a shovel blade buried somewhere at the bottom in an emergency.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
@HollandMax

I think a more interesting and potentially viable area to look into would be avalanche airbag systems in things other than backpacks, or finding a way to make the airbag take up less room in a pack.

The North Face have already started doing this.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-powder-guide-abs-vest
ski holidays
@JamesN, Yeah I know about the vest, but it looks a little dumb. There's probably ways to incorporate it into a jacket (over the shoulders?).

In fact, aren't the FIS testing (automatically inflating) airbags for impact protection in race suits atm? Potential to include a manual trigger for avalanches?

Not suggesting it's a good idea in terms of an actual product on the market, but could be interesting form a product design perspective.
snow conditions
Thanks guys ill take on your ideas and see what I can come up with.
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur, "It would be nice to be able to put a kind of harness on in the morning, like putting transceiver on, then just forget it is there completely unless I need it".

Mammut already make the Alyeska GTX Pro 3L Realization Pants with a built in harness.
snow conditions
@JamesN, that reads as if the ABS is built into the vest. Which means you can't wear a ski jacket over it. Or else you'd look like the Incredible Hulk when it went off.
snow report
I would understand an ABS vest to be worn like a ski patrol vest I.e. over your outer layer.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, that makes more sense, really.

I had an image of a ski jacket exploding off as the ABS deployed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy