Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard Latigo

Poster: A snowHead
So with the Mantras off life support this AM and lift passes (foolishly) purchased last night, the brunette and I thought to head up with some hire stock.

Hmmm.

Note to self: Don't buy a pass till you see what the weather is doing. Claggy, in cloud, rained before snow. Really not nice. Had we not already shelled out, we'd have bailed.

Anyway, the skis. In great nick, well maintained by the excellent Ivan at Tako Sports in Champoluc and almost brand new.

First impressions: underwhelmed. Not very lively, very, very easy to ski, but not really giving much back. Well damped without feeling like zombies. Felt like quality.

Second impressions: much the same.

Quick enough in bumps. Began to get a little funkier when adding a little more speed than conditions really indicated. But also began to feel somewhat over energised.

Conclusion: I suspect if you are an early to late intermediate, these would be a great ski. Beyond that, a little limiting. But remarkably pleasant when you can't see jack-sheet and are quite happy to not worry about what your skis are doing.

Unfortunately, not suggesting good things when we have a wee test of the Bonafides next outing...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Latigos and like them for many of the reasons you say Smile They are not a performance piste ski but they are good in a lot of conditions, I put them on and don't think about them at all and they cope with whatever I want them to do. I have the Latigos in 170cm and would have got the 177cm if I'd wanted more of a performance ski. I demoed the Bonafides in 180cm, they have a very different feel to the Latigos, much stiffer and I would imagine a great ski if you were feeling it but they would be too hard work for me to ski all day, every day, I guess that means you will probably like them more then the Latigos!

Also nice to see a review in here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lynseyf, "I put them on and don't think about them at all"

Ha ha brilliant, that was exactly what I thought. The OH had some similar Völkl thing and just said, "Mum should get these".

Quality ski, and I am sure definitely good for many. Also, having never skied double rocker, definitely go longer (which makes the rocker for a piste ski a waste of time).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just did a week on carbon tipped Cochise's in spring conditions. Great versatile ski, crap at piste turn rebound but good at everything else. BT I was almost fit and forget as they were so dependable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Latigo's are Blizzards piste version of the Brahma. It was Fall-Line's Ski of the Year 2014/15, and I bought a pair in 184cms after testing the Brahma in 180 cms, but wanted a more piste orientated cruiser for what I actually/mainly ski rather than what I wanted/dreamed of skiing.

For a start the Latigo is a lively ski edge to edge thanks the two Titanium layers put in there for tortional rigidity, so there's plenty of beef in the construction. There's a snap out of the turn that belies the rear rocker, this is a ski that can rip the hardpack and power down the couderoy. There's no noticible "slap" on the front at any speed, just a strong glide into the turn that holds exceptionally well underfoot. Lovely feedback, solid, smooth, almost graceful, overall a sublime blend of traditional camber, front/tail rocker, ABS sidewall, double titanals, and "flip-core" internals. This ski needs to be skied long due to the rockered ends. It is what it is............. a piste predator, devouring the steep.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-03-16 17:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am going to suggest, in retrospect, that the conditions were far from ideal to give any real idea of the ski.

For 2/3s of the vertical it was a piste pole following white out. So lots of short swing skarving (skidding if we aren't feeling generous) just to get a feel for the terrain.

Not helped that the surface was a few cms of fresh on a rained-on old surface. So about as hard as it gets without being clear ice.

I'm sure it had rained as I had a quick sneak off the piste, just to test that theory, and sure enough Saturday's chalky old powder was dust on hard crust.

So not really the conditions to find @skimastaaah's "snap" out of anything really and deserving of a second opinion.

Still standing by the "very easy to ski" opinion however snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

Still standing by the "very easy to ski" opinion however snowHead

Very lovely to ski!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking of getting these. I was convinced the brahmas were for me, but I own some scott crusades and want something a bit stronger on piste. I doubt the brahma is much different from the Scott Crusades, they have pretty similar dimensions. With my skiing stuck to 1-2 weeks in the Alps on pre booked holidays- I only get 1-2 days a year of fresh powder if im lucky, so that surely means the latigo is a better option right?!

Now someone please help me with ski length Puzzled . Im 182 cm/6foot and just under 12 stone/75 kg, advanced skier but by no means expert. I ski on 178 scott crusades and was hoping for something a little shorter for ease in moguls etc. Is 170 cm going to be too big a change? Wish they did the same sizing as the Brahmas.

Any feedback would be awesome Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stef88, I was skiing the 178s I think (I'm 170cms, 62 kgs) and thought they were too short. I may have been on 170ish. I wasn't paying so much attention.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stef88, Go for the 177's.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would go for something even more piste oriented myself.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool will look for 177s. I guess you suggest them as they ski shorter than their length?!

@under a new name, any suggestions to alternatives? Far from clicking purchase at the moment Smile The general reviews of the blizzard freeride range is very good. The Latigos seem to be pretty piste orientated already. I want something that can handle a bit of fresh powder if its around but priority is to perform well on groomers, hard pack pistes (Which you normally find in the Alps) and moguls. These skis seem to tick the box from everything I read.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Something in the Head Supershape range?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One more question Smile. Does anyone know if the 2015/2016 skis got upgraded from the year before? Reason I ask is I can find some 14/15 online but not really 15/16 in my size.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stef88, Try Ebay. There's some ski dealers in France and Italy with offers on for the skis. I got mine from Germany, then I found some (more expensive) in the UK.
snow report
@skimastaaah, cheers for the help. I actually live in Holland so slightly easier with respect to postage. I have found a german website selling the 2014/2015 version for 299 euro exc bindings (which is a bit cheaper than on ebay). Can only find one place with the 2015/16 in my size and its a bit more expensive. Will keep looking Smile
latest report
http://www.realskiers.com/2016/2016-SKI-REVIEWS/brand-reviews/blizzard.html

Didnt change in 2015/16 according to this link! Interesting, the latigo is still in the 2017 range and I dont think its changed for 2017 either (the Brahma has got upgraded to carbon fibre this time to join the other fatter skis)
snow report
I'm 5ft 5in (165cm) female, 61kgs. I have the 170s, which are the narrowest skis I've owned for about 6 years. I bought them last year in the summer sales because I was doing an all terrain 4 weeks course (with a lot of on piste technique). I had tried the Brahmas and would have gone for them if I hadn't wanted something a bit more piste orientated. I don't think the Brahmas feel like "the Latigos but wider"-I think the Brahmas feel stiffer and damper and hugely stable.
Having said all that, the Latigos suited me fine for my 4 weeks. I think they are much the better option for bumps (Have some other all mountain skis, plus a pair of fatties for proper off piste days) and do a decent but by no means breath-taking job when carving.
snow report
@Perty, Thanks for the info although you may lean me back towards the brahmas Puzzled Which ski do you think is better on piste and handling moguls/general crud (i.e. what we have in the Alps 90% of the time)? I do like to venture off piste - but when I look back over the last 4 years (30 skiing days or so), more than 80% of my time is spent skiing piste/moguls/trees. The orange of the latigo is slightly dragging me in too Wink .
snow report
@stef88, ooh...now there's a question. My personal choice would probably still be the Brahmas, though for bumps the Latigos I think would win - far easier. I am small and light compared with you though! Brahmas are more likely to bulldoze crud.
snow report
Ok, Ive managed to negotiate to 400 euros for this package of skis and bindings (from a different website). Essentially thats 250 euro for the skis and 150 for the bindings. Thoughts - good deal? Or should I just wait until the season is completely finished and hope for a even steeper reduction. I dont think Brahmas including bindings would ever go this low before being snapped up, clearly in more demand.

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/blizzard-latigo-15-marker-griffon-13-bk-wh-tl-14-p-xhhbz2nv.html
ski holidays
Changed to Look PX12 with a 90mm brake now based on their recommendations its a better binding and obviously will suit the narrow ski better. Will make the decision to order today. Think at 400 euros all in/ 300 pounds its a pretty good deal but will kick myself if I see some getting reduced further at the end of the year
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy