Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grands Montets (Edited title)

Poster: A snowHead
@Evissimus, decent brandy.

Sounds like you were fine. But taken out by a tw@t.

Get back on the horse.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So much of skiing is about confidence, so it's rough when that gets shaken....and it sounds like you had a nasty experience. Glad you are OK.

FWIW. My advice is to bring everything back to a level where you are totally comfortable and gradually up the anti from there...at a speed that suits you.

If things are still shaky, the right instructor should sort you out. It can take a while to build confidence, but seconds to lose it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Evissimus, very sorry to hear that. Horrible. Did the skier responsible stop and check you were OK?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

@under a new name, Had a couple of medicinal gin tonics the moment I got down Smile

I actually felt quite sorry for him- my monitor helped him up and untangled my skis from under him before skiing down to see if I was alive. He told me the other guy was an even weaker skier, and had decided to do it completely alone. Pretty sure he would normally have stuck around to help him, but I think he was too pissed off. The poor guy probably didn't even see me- I was near the top of the second steep and he might have wobbled just before and gone over the edge out of control. He didn't even hit me that hard, just went over the back of my skis hard enough that they came off, and the shove sent me flying. I'd fallen earlier myself, but was taking it slowly enough that I didn't slide far or anything. It would have been fine had I not had the energy from the other guy's fall (he didn't slide, he stopped his fall with me instead Smile)

It's just made me reconsider how, when you think about it, even on easier pistes you're often close to an edge, or rocks, or nasty bits, and anyone can wipe you out at any time. Guess the difference is the steepness of the slope and how far you fall before you actually stop.

Anyway, straight back to skiing this weekend. I'll tone it down, less adrenaline, more sun and easy cruising. Maybe I can even learn to carve Blush

some photos of before it all went pear shaped (beautiful day!!):
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing wrong with some sunshine and learning to carve - which you can only do on easy slopes! Best of luck with it. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Evissimus wrote:
Anyone pulled it back from a pretty bad fall before? I've become obsessed with skiing since the first day I tried it- I don't want to suddenly become a nervous skier!

Really sorry to hear about what happened.

Re your question: yes, but it takes time. I fell last January (as it happens, post-skiing, when traversing a rocky slope far offpiste, slipped and went down in the fog with zero idea of where I was going). Result: broken ankle. And then, literally just as I came back to skiing two months later, I saw a friend fall in a much worse accident - fortunately he managed to recover fully although he is only cleared to ski next season.

After this, I had several difficult moments on steep icy terrain. Took me at least two weeks of steep skiing plus a couple weeks of more reasonable skiing, over the last 12 months, to get back to about 90% confidence level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Evissimus, well that was unexpected! Usually quite piste. You managed the whole way down though- which is an ordeal in itself. I'd say the second steep bit is actually the hardest part.

I had a very nasty fall in Scotland 2 weeks ago. Accidentally skied off the edge of the Nevis Back Corries in a white out- the edge is very difficult to guess.- Fell 5-10' vertical- rag dolled down the slope for a long way. I was a bit wobbly after that. I was able to ski and went back and dropped in again a few more times. For me getting back on the horse was important.

I think your experience was particularly unlucky- don't emphasise that bit- mentally or otherwise. What went well? It does sound like you managed to ski the run- you can get wiped out anywhere- and most likely on a blue or red where people are going really fast.

Tell us a bit more about the rest of the run: The first steep bit- side slip or a few turns as well? The rest of it- pre-wipe out and post- any other falls / lost skis? or did you manage it OK.

From what you have posted there was no fault on your part- and you got down in reasonable fettle apart from the accident (else you'd have said).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ed123, Pre-accident, one fall near the bottom of the first steep, but didn't slide far. Was skiing (slowly, planning each turn, trying to get the technique spot on). Post-accident, refused to ski any part that looked too steep to stop if I fell (basically the third steep bit), unless the turn was really obvious. That bit probably took me a good 10 mins with plenty of side slipping and waiting for anyone who appeared to clear it. Last 15 distance markers or so, skied without issue (but by then it's become much more reddish, and not steep enough to really catch you out if you do fall). Shame- I think I'd have had a lot of fun on the second half if I hadn't been shaken.

@horizon, Sounds like everyone's had a fall that sticks in their mind- has it changed the way you do ski? Anything you now think twice about doing? Glad to know we're all OK

Very Happy @pam w, Thanks for your lovely words of encouragement! It's time I stopped doing silly things and started actually learning some technique!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By the way- while you're queuing for the lift, there's a screen playing fun facts. The fastest time set from the very top of GM all the way down to Argentiere was something like 3 mins 30 seconds. People are nuts. And very good skiers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Evissimus, Sounds like the answer to your original question was .... 'Nearly, but not quite'.

So, the next question is whether you wee right to ski it. Yes, you conquered it. You got taken out by someone else which is slightly irrelevant. Did you enjoy skiing it? Was it the right decision?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, If I hadn't been wiped out, the answer would have been 'definitely'. Above my skill level? Yes, but the views were so stunning that it would have absolutely been worth it, and after the first two sharp bits, it's pretty skiable even for a dodgy not-quite-absolute-beginner.

Bearing in mind what happened, I probably won't be going anywhere near a cliff (be it a green, black, pink or purple) or anywhere too steep to stop if you do fall until next season at least.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Filthyphil30k wrote:
pam w wrote:
@Filthyphil30k, apparently the instructors see very little of it.

Well that's not on, I am surprised the unions don't sort it out. Who gets it then?

"unions" . . . it's 'murica', it's easier to buy a gun than join a union rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Evissimus, so sorry to hear you were taken out, that's very unlucky. I had a terrifying experience on the Aguille Rouge in Les Arcs many years ago where I went down a really steep and icy slope and saw a couple of people slide a very long way, and another nearly took me out. I was so terrified I went ostrich and had to side step down and it badly knocked my confidence. Took a while to recover (I actually had hypnotherapy to get over it!!), but I did and you will too.

Sounds like it was quite a hardcore black to try anyway!!

Plenty of easy cruising needed, have fun!! One day in future you'll ski it like a boss... Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 21-03-16 22:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Evissimus, one of the best lessons we can take to improve ourselves is to experience something we're completely unready for . . . from that we gain the drive to improve and beat the demon.
We can take this a bit too far, you may not want to see my scars (and not just the mental ones), but trust me Twisted Evil it really does become sooo much fun to keep challenging yourself.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One eventually has to become a bit 'Jason Bourne' and not only be able to analyse the slope and those below, but also be able to assess those behind you and their skills/comportment (and risk of wiping out above you).

It then becomes polite to avoid skiing directly above others on particularly tricky slopes, as experts will have an eye above slope as well as below and may be frustrated at having to pause if others are descending above them. The 'priority to downhill skier' rule is good, but when one's life is at stake one look's up slope too - falling skiers are incapable of giving priority.
snow conditions
@crosbie, weird. I've skied maybe, minimum 1,400 days in my life and never, ever once thought I was Jason Bourne. (p.s. Book? Or (not very good ) film? )
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@crosbie, weird. I've skied maybe, minimum 1,400 days in my life and never, ever once thought I was Jason Bourne. (p.s. Book? Or (not very good ) film? )

I've never once thought I was Jason Bourne either - nor James Bond.

I was referring to the movie character's skill in rapidly assessing his situation and the capabilities of those around him.

Hence, a skier interested in matching or exceeding your 1,400 days has to become a bit 'Jason Bourne' and be able to rapidly assess his situation and the capabilities of those around him.

Or, be extremely lucky...
snow report
@crosbie, well, to be honest, none of us look as good as Matt Damon . . . even after t'lass has her 'breezer' glasses on and the lights have fused rolling eyes
ski holidays
I've often thought you need to be Jason Bourne to navigate the inside of apartment blocks and l'Oxalys in VT.
latest report
Just back from Chamonix ..... Great week but I had a very scary slide ....I'm fine but could have been very bad.
I slipped on a turn near top of couloir philippe below lognans at GM and went face down head first for a couple of hundred metres. Landed in the avalanche protection channel alongside Pierre a ric home run.
Felt I was fighting for life on the way down - accelerating downhill goggles and glasses ripped off trying all I could to slow down.
I have skied a lot and consider myself pretty competent. .... This was worst fall I can remember in 40 years and I am reappraising what I want to ski in future. I'm 54 and not sure 40 degree plus couloirs should be on my bucket list any more !
I was OK but in shock and finished early after that .... Went back off piste for rest of week but relatively mellow rognons and pointe du vue.
I still ache - shoulders and neck .... But can't wait to get back next season.
PS I was with a guide and my son and we had skied other steeps earlier in the day .... I was skiing well ..... Still got no idea why I slipped.
ski holidays
Yup, "be more Bourne (than Bean)" is not a bad thought....I seem to have got a lot more Meldrew, but that's another story.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 22-03-16 8:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Evissimus, well done! You were scared you might die, but you didn't, and got down really well.

In amongst all that was someone else's cock-up. Sorry to hear you suffered from that.

Remember that you got down, concentrating on good technique, and beat the snow, the rocks, and the mountain. Think what you've achieved.

Congratulations!
latest report
@PBJ, Really glad to hear you're OK. Seems Chamonix claimed a few of us over the weekend!
@Orange200, Thanks Smile I'm feeling a lot better today, looking forward to the weekend (Villars!).
@Masque, Agreed! I've loved skiing so far exactly because it's given me so many 'firsts' this year (parallel, blues, reds, blacks, moguls, side of the piste, mini jumps....every time something new!). You can't keep having 'firsts' if you don't push it a little bit further each time. I'll have to evaluate the level of risk I'm comfortable with at some point- a broken bone I'm fine with, being shoved off the edge of a piste into a glacier and probable death is a step too far Smile
latest report
@Evissimus, I don't think I've had a moment that sounds quite as scary as yours (and thankfully have never been taken out by anyone else) but I have had a couple of crashes that knocked my confidence, some while skiing, some on my mountain bike and some while motor racing. In all instances I've found it best to 'get back on the horse'.
snow report
@PBJ, poo-poo! I feel your pain- I had a near death experience a fortnight ago in Scotland and also took the biggest fall I've had in (just under) 40 years skiing. I don't lose any gear (although I thought I'd never see the skis again- I did) and walked away with just a bruised calf- but it was a very nasty slide. I think mine was rather multifactorial / a bit Swiss Cheese ( I thought I was stoping well before the drop off- I went straight over it: white out- instructor I'd never skied with before, group I'd never skied with before, first run of the day, first time back on alpine gear for a couple of years).

It's interesting how far you can fall and get away with it- I'd really rather not do it again though............
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy