Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is melting snow slower than slush?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You may recall, as you've skied down the piste from cold snow into the dreaded 'spring conditions', that it can seem as if someone's suddenly operated the 'ski slowly' brakes and you almost fall over (if not prepared, or experienced enough to instantly recognise the symptoms), but then, further down, as you hit slushier snow, it's as if the brakes have been released again though the slush is still a bit slower than normal snow.

Apparently, the phenomenon is caused by the phase change of the surface snow from ice to water, which needs heat in order to make this change. Just as water will suck heat from your brow to evaporate (liquid to gas) giving you a cooling effect, so ice will suck heat from what ever is in contact with it to change into water (solid to liquid). However, ice can bizarrely extract this heat in the form of friction from whatever is sliding against it, thus the snow that is ready to melt (but hasn't quite yet) will appear to have a high degree of friction - upon such as a ski or snowboard. The thing is, the surface of the ski or board is at the same temperature as the snow, but gives up heat to it as friction (loss of kinetic energy).

The slush no longer has this effect because so much of it is already melted (water), and the friction effect of any ice to water phase change is insignificant compared to the lubrication of the water within the slush.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am no expert, but I'm not massively convinced by that explanation, as the amount of water produced by friction with your skis is negligible compared to that already in the snow. It's far more likely to be down to the different compressibility of slush and melting snow, and the higher amount of pre-existing amount of water on the top of the base layer of slush (i.e. before your ski has melted it through friction). I'd be interested to read more about it, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surface tension.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrong wax!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Wrong wax!

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a certain type of snow, or whatever you want to call it that has a far higher level of friction than usual and it can catch you out skiing. I think it's more likely to be surface tension thing than the model implied.

Remember that ice is a unique substance in that is less dense than water which is quite a unique property, hence when you put pressure on it an compress it, it turns to the more natural denser state, water. This is why ice, as a solid appears to have very little friction, as opposed to other solid objects.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
There is a certain type of snow, or whatever you want to call it that has a far higher level of friction than usual and it can catch you out skiing. I think it's more likely to be surface tension thing than the model implied.

So you're excusing C2C's excuse of the wrong sort of snow ??? Shocked Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was told that slush strips the wax from your skis quite quickly
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect it's because the snow under the skis is at just that temperature/humidity level where there's a melt/freeze cycle going on and some of the melted snow is freezing back and sticking to the skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spring snow is a whole spectrum of things and it is only a particularly subset at a particular point of phase change which goes grabby/gluey - it's pretty much the same effect you get when fresh snow is rained on. Incidentally most of the stuff that tourists commonly call slush and unskiable is largely a matter of application of rule 5 and is easily addressed by a combination of skis, wax, attitude and pie-eating capacity and is usually actually delightful spring snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
olderscot wrote:
I suspect it's because the snow under the skis is at just that temperature/humidity level where there's a melt/freeze cycle going on and some of the melted snow is freezing back and sticking to the skis.

Yes, that is the other theory, that just as some melting snow sucks heat from the ski (in order to phase change to water), bringing the ski's temperature significantly below zero, so the ice cold ski then adheres to other slush/water droplets upon them freezing back to ice - explaining the greater friction, compared to the lower slush which has insignificant refreezing.

Either way, there is a loss of kinetic energy from the skier, transformed & transferred to the snow as heat.

This could remain one of skiing's great unsolved mysteries...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy