Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to try skiing in Norway. When is the best month to go there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christmas can be unpredictable with snow (like anywhere) and short days. So I think February-March is best. The winter half term (vinterferien) is weeks 7,8, and 9 with Oslo region week 8 so you may want to avoid that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends where you go - the higher and the further North, the longer the season.

I usually ski in the mountains of Southern central Norway and that's where most of the big downhill resorts are. (Big in Norwegian terms - the resorts are generally small compared with the major Alpine resorts.) I have had both fantastic and terrible ski-ing in December, but that's cross-country which is generally on natural snow. Quite often it's too cold and dry to snow early season. It would be an exceptional year when it was too warm for snow-making then, so the downhill slopes are usually prepped in the bigger resorts.

March is my favourite. There is usually lots of lovely snow by then, the days are longer, and the weather is a bit milder. Can't go this year Crying or Very sad

January is cheap, but might be very cold. Norwegian school holidays are a little busier and more expensive, and Easter is usually booked out the year before. After Easter can be great. The Norwegians mostly hang up their skis after their Easter holiday, so it's quiet and cheap and often very good weather and snow. It's worth booking late though, because it might be a bad snow year. If somewhere has over a metre of snow in March, and it's still freezing then, it will almost certainly last until late April in most mountain resorts. Ski-ing around Oslo is more unreliable and is worth booking really late, after you see the snow and weather reports. It can be really foggy too.

If you are thinking of after Easter, check the resort closing dates, especially for lift-served downhill if that's what you do. A resort may well be open for cross-county and off-piste touring long after the lifts have shut for the summer. And be aware that ski buses and the like may not be running even if the resort is still open. And it's likely to be very quiet then - great for ski-ing but not so good for social life.

General info on the Norwegian Tourist website here

There are some great posts on here about ski-ing in North Norway - it's something I know nothing about, but it seems to go on well into May.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BirgitonLonning, By the way, you might get more replies if you put "Norway" in the subject line. Most of this forum is about ski-ing.

I have just spotted your location - what's the ski-ing like in Sweden? I fancy going there soon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nordicfan wrote:
@BirgitonLonning, By the way, you might get more replies if you put "Norway" in the subject line. Most of this forum is about ski-ing.

I have just spotted your location - what's the ski-ing like in Sweden? I fancy going there soon.

Didn't spot @BirgitonLonning's location. Wonder if he/she hasn't been there long as the weather and season is pretty similar...

As @Nordicfan says skiing in Scandinavia is quite a difference experience to the Alps. Smaller ski areas, mountains are not so high, but still lovely views. Generally quieter if you can avoid peak half term (Sportlov) weeks. I would say very reasonable price for accommodation, ski pass, ski school, lunch on the mountain etc. Nice warm huts and sheltered grills if you want. Expensive to eat out and drink alcohol in the evenings. No chalets (as far as I know) - its self catering houses (stugas) and ski lodges. Skistar own/run the largest resorts so check out their website.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome thread title
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to Geillo Hemsedal and Trysil
Trysil has the biggest ski area.
Feb half term and onwards until April best time to go.
Have had temps as low as -25 and as high as +1

Not much sun in Feb but lots of ski hours as they do night ski too. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I lived in Stockholm Are was my resort of choice. Good snow on the higher slopes at beginning of May. It was possible to ski down to the resort even then.

For something different you can always go to Riksgransen at Midsummer and ski by the midnight sun. Advisable to book in advance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy