Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sad news from Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
An announcement was made yesterday by the Valais police in Switzerland that two skiers sadly died yesterday in an off piste area on the Swiss border with Avoriaz ski area.

According to the statement, the deceased skiers had left the area of Avoriaz with the intention of heading to the Col de Cou, near the ski area of Champery & Crosets.

A cornice of snow about 2,150 metres long, apparently collapsed underneath the skiers and the 47 year old ski instructor from Morzine and his 59 year old client fell about 50-100 metres.

The Swiss patrol team were the first on the scene and were quickly joined by other emergency workers and a French doctor, who tried in vain to resuscitate the two men.

Our thoughts are with both men's family, friends and colleagues at this sad time.
My thoughts go out to the families of both skiers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lamperter,
Quote:

A cornice of snow about 2,150 metres long
I assume that is the contintal habit for using a comma as a decimal point?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@foxtrotzulu, it certainly stood out to me! Couldn't imagine the effect of a 2km cornice slipping Shocked

Sad news though, shows that even skiing with a guide is dangerous.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad indeed.

Quote:

even skiing with a guide is dangerous

a. it is

b. an instructor is not necessarily a guide...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like the guide/instructor did not know the area, if they were standing on a 2m overhanging cornice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More detail here http://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers/2016/03/10/le-monde-de-la-montagne-rend-hommage-a-cedric-loustaunau

Sounds as though he was experienced and knew the area well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately as in Lech last week and the Avy forecaster killed in Oregon it seems that it is the experienced local pros getting killed (add to the numbers of people in guided groups that have been killed this season). As the meme goes "the mountain doesn't care that you're an expert".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
b. an instructor is not necessarily a guide...

True, but you'd like to think that any instructor taking someone off-piste during high avy risk would be experienced in the region. From the sounds of the article he's made out to be a sensible guy who just got caught out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen a couple of French reports and they've had the altitude at 2.150m (continental style so 2,150m UK style) not the size of the cornice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off piste skiing isn't safe and never will be however experienced, knowledgeable and careful you are - wild terrain is unpredictable.

I think it's always good to remember that - I still choose to do it anyway - but we should be cognisant of the risks and aware that it doesn't always happen to someone else.

RIP
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Off piste skiing isn't safe and never will be however experienced, knowledgeable and careful you are

I agree with your point generally, but there's plenty of love mellow 20° powder meadow skipping out there too with absolutely zero avalanche/cornice fall risk.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw this on facebook today - https://www.facebook.com/aaron.mclean.568 - This seems to be a bit of a coincidence or are the events related?

Quote:
It is with a heavy heart that I have to share the incredibly sad news that my very close friend Aaron McLean was taken from us yesterday, Thursday 10th March in a tragic skiing accident. He was with a group of young advanced skiers coaching them for a Freeride Competition, doing what he loved, living life to the full. We are incredibly shocked and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and of course Amy.

Let's raise a wee dram of whisky to this much loved soul and friend of ours and remember the incredible times we were lucky enough to have shared with him.
You'll be forever in our hearts and especially with us in the mountains.

Aaron was PDS based. Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, sadly not related. Just a bad week in Morzine Avoriaz Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, There was also a fatal accident in La Rosiere yesterday - a 26 year old British Freefreerider, who fell over a rocky ridge, maybe this is the link?? RIP both.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, Aaron was in La Rosiere (@Gaza post above)

Awful news in both cases.
ski holidays
@clarky999, I agree. There's off piste and off piste. And there's freeriding. Nothing is without risk but there's a spectrum in many sports. Sad deaths indeed but doesn't mean everyone out there is equally at risk. Any one of us could be dead next week, for a whole range of reasons and I agree strongly with the sentiment above that we should all be cognisant of this. Death isn't something that only happens to others, or only to people doing risky sports. A lot more people today died a premature death for lack of sport! Perhaps that's even sadder.
snow report
Aaron was one of the best. Completely inspirational. It's a devastating loss. No words to express it.
It's a lot more than "sad" it's a serious, awful tragedy. The end of a story. A heartbreak.
I heard it was just a bad landing from a jump. (I hope those concerned with such things learn the reality of the full risks).
Thoughts are with his girlfriend Amy and his family.
This is the worst news I've heard for years.
snow report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35790891
ski holidays
Rip... in Peace.
snow conditions
My friends had Aaron instructing them last week and he was brilliant. I even emailed the ski school yesterday asking for him for a lesson in two weeks time.
How very sad. What a great chap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy