Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Ruapehu & Ohakune NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm travelling NZ from the UK with a mate in May for the ski season and wondered if anybody would recommend Mt Ruapehu & Ohakune as a place to stay and work.

We're both 22 and would like a nightlife and we're not sure if this region is going to be too quiet for what we're after. Don't get me wrong, we're not after a party every night, just somewhere with the options of a few bars and clubs. We've seen Queenstown and what that has to offer and are put off by the lack of accommodation and work compared to this region.

Any recommendations would be great.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have been to Mt Ruapehu for ski trips not to live. Stayed in both National Village and Ohakune and both are small (National Village much the smaller). National Village is more of a dormitory place serving the Whakapapa ski slopes (visitors and workers), not much going on.

Ohakune is a typical small NZ town so more going on in comparison but that's not saying much. Its got a more bars, but not a great variety so fine if you dont mind going to the same few, but then maybe that's part of the attraction to be a local yokel. At least it has some amenities associated with a town like a library etc.

See thread for skiiing info http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115286&highlight=

If I can help with any more specifics let me know.

I would have said that there would be more work in Queenstown given the greater amount of tourist activities, not just skiing, vineyards, scenery, white water and other adventure sports. But likely to be more expensive to live there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to live within sight of Mt Ruapehu. Snow glistening off the top of the volcano year round was a great sight. Only skied at National Park once and never Ohakune. Had a work colleague who was up there every week. Having skied european resorts many times before (and no local ski buddy) did not bother as the experience was not fabulous. Saying that Ohakune is a nice little town (carrot capital of New Zealand I recollect). Also the Summer trekking was outstanding.

Skied at Coronet peak for a long weekend and did enjoy the experience. I think that living/working in Queenstown would be a better choice. Good vibe and night life. Had friends who went down there for two seasons. Girl worked as a nurse in a med centre both years and the guy in a sports shop then as a window cleaner. Lots of hotels needing kitchen porters/bar staff etc I imagine. Queenstown is expensive for NZ (which is not cheap anymore).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll add my 10 penny worth as there are not many contributions. Both ski stations are nice to visit, but not a great deal going on. National Village is YHA type accommodation and campervans (which we were using). Bit more at Ohakune, but not much. Somewhere a little grander than Glencoe village if you are familiar, but not as 'exciting' as Fort William. As others have said Queenstown has much more going for it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots more exciting scenery reachable from Queenstown. IIRC from driving across North Island some years ago (work) and diverting for a quick trip to Ruapehu the surroundings are gentle hills with sheep. Pleasant, but not exciting. But we were entranced by driving up to a snowcapped volcano and the friendly, warm, helpful welcome.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh - and they told us the volcano never erupted..... The following year it did, big time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I lived in NZ for three years. Taupo for at least 1 and Queenstown for about 8 months.

NZ skiing is on small areas, I think Mt Ruapehu & Ohakune are bigger than Remarkable & Coronet peak.

Job wise everyone wants to work a ski season. Mt Ruapehu & Ohakune are serviced by tiny villages most cone to Taupo on there days off. Queenstown offers loads of work both on and off the mountain. Personally I'd get a bar job so you can ride all day. Working on the mountain you'll get very little riding time.

Early bird passes are out now and are cheap so buy now the get there early and find work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i'd agree with the rest of the posts here, north island ski fields are pretty small and not much of a town about. Queenstown is a lot busier and definitely has a nightlife, but there will be serious competition for on mountain jobs. Have you had a look at Wanaka? Beautiful town a bit north of Queenstown with two mountains within a short drive - Treble Cone & Cardrona. You will get the same problem as Queenstown to a lesser extent, lots of competition for jobs and expensive accommodation in town. Or you could buy a camper, get better paid work elsewhere (Christchurch/Dunedin?) and spend your weekends touring ski fields Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy