Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts on the Bergen to Oslo railway line - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies, I know I already asked about Trondheim to Oslo, but it now looks like Bergen is the better option.
Could anyone recommend resorts which can be easily reached from a station on this line?
From a map of the rail network, I recognise Voss and Geilo as resorts.
Not sure of their relative merits, and how easy it is to get to the skiing from the station.
Many thanks for any info.
Neil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dead easy, Geilo and Voss both small towns, easy to get around.
Railway runs through the middle.

Easter will probably be booked out, but after should be ok for accommodation.

you need to check the closing dates for both.

http://vossresort.no/en/ski-resort-/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - I'm actually thinking of going this weekend. There's nothing like a last-minute trip!
Any obvious advantage to Voss or Geilo?
More interesting skiing at either? I'll only have a day so don't mind too much about the extent.
Does one have the station close to the ski lift?
Guess it's easy enough to get around at either resort...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS If I struggle finding accommodation, I might just jump on the overnight train to Oslo on Sunday night...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first ski trip was to Geilo and Voss was third, so I never tried all the runs.
If you're going this weekend, accommodation is the first priority!
There aren't that many hotels in either G or V, I've not come across B&Bs, the Norges tend to drive and stay in huttes or camping.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Neil Neige, If it's any help, here is the Norwegian State Railways page about ski resorts accessible by train.

From Bergen, I would think Voss and Geilo are the most obvious. I haven't been to Voss, but Geilo is pretty easy to get around. I can't speak for the downhill ski-ing since I don't do that, but I was first there about 5 years ago staying for a week with a mixed ability group of downhill skiers who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. I think the main lift (Geiloheisen) goes from the back of the station and links into most of the South-facing slopes. The North-facing side of the Valley is too far to walk in down hill boots, but is accessible by a free but infrequent ski bus, or by very expensive taxis (ca £15?).

The train ride from Bergen to Geilo is epic, so try to do most of the first part in daylight.

I don't know about leaving baggage. The station or tourist office might have lockers. I suggest contacting the latter if you plan to go there. Otherwise a local hotel or cafe might be helpful (for a small fee).

If you get stuck with any pages just in Norwegian, p.m. me and I will translate if its not too long.

Enjoy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With regard to accommodation, might be worth a look at Tripadvisor. The other sites seem to be dominated by the expensive hotels. The Ro Hotel is right next to the station and is basic. I haven't stayed there so have no other information about it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you very much for these extra replies. Just trying to work out if the whole trip is worth doing (as there's not much skiing) and I've decided that it is!
- Saturday morning fly to Bergen
- Rest of Sat in Bergen, I've heard it's a v attractive city
- Sunday early (around 8am), train to Geilo. A fantastic train ride by all accounts.
- Arrive Geilo 11ish and ski rest of day
- Stay in Geilo (looks like the Ro Hotel has a room for about £55)
- Monday morning, train to Oslo (I'm guessing there are some good bits along here, too)
- Monday afternoon/evening, ski in Oslo with friend who lands at lunchtime
- Tuesday morning, fly home
Flights come to about £150 which seems pretty good to me.
Will try and book this eve if prices haven't risen too much.
Thanks again for the info/encouragement (+ offer to translate, Nordicfan!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I've just booked my flights.
Would you believe only £120 return booked two days before leaving?
I've also been checking prices to all the main airports in the Alps, and none have been that cheap.
I expect other aspects of a ski w/e in Norway may however be a little more expensive!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beer and food is expensive, a lot more expensive that you'd think.

I've been to Lillehammer and I think its a great resort. its about 2 hours north of Oslo by train
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sack the Juggler wrote:
beer and food is expensive, a lot more expensive that you'd think.
I've been to Lillehammer and I think its a great resort. its about 2 hours north of Oslo by train

Yep, I've been to Norway a few times. I know you're looking at around £10 for a drink.
The skiing seemed quite reasonably priced last time, and the accommodation I've booked for this trip is OK too, as is the Bergen-Oslo rail fare.
Not too worried about the various extras - how much money can you spend exactly in 3 days?!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Geillo is lovely, but not much skiing, so a short trip will be plenty.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have fun and I look forward to the trip report. If I was doing this trip, I wouldn't spend so much time in Bergen - it's usually raining there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Geilo is the obvious spot. Food needn't be too expensive. Train fares booked in advance can be a great bargain. Anybody who can't spend a few days skiing without loads of drink has a problem. There used to be a youth hostel in Geilo. And why not have a go at cross country skiing?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the latest comments. In response...
- I do like a bit of x/c skiing so might well give it a bash
- I arrive Bergen mid afternoon Sat and leave on the first train Sunday morning so not a huge amount of time there! And you're right - the forecast for Bergen is rain!
- Youth hostels, yep I'm staying in them in Bergen and Oslo. However, treating myself to a room in the Hotel Ro in Geilo. Only £60 with breakfast and right by the station so seems pretty reasonable.
- Yes, I'm happy not drinking too much. May save it til Oslo when I meet up with a friend. Oh, unless they do the local equivalent of Gluhwein or Jagertee in the mountain restaurants of Geilo!
ski holidays
if you like to do x/c skiing, the vasaloppet 2017 is open for entries on 20 March Very Happy
ski holidays
I read an article that the best value overall for skiing in Europe, taking into account accommodation, lift pass, lessons etc was Norway, which is a surprise given the cost of everything else.

Despite it raining 300 days a year in Bergen I really like it. Take the train up the mountain in town.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
I read an article that the best value overall for skiing in Europe, taking into account accommodation, lift pass, lessons etc was Norway, which is a surprise given the cost of everything else.
Despite it raining 300 days a year in Bergen I really like it. Take the train up the mountain in town.

Thanks. I don't mind rainy places too much - I lived in Swansea for 5 years!
I will look out for the train up the mountain.
Interesting to hear about Norway offering best value. The flight there is certainly cheaper than any last-minute return to the Alps this w/e, and I remember skiing costs being similar to the Alps last time.
Right, bed time - I have to be up again in just a few hours!
ski holidays
I just went to find you details of the Bergen funicular - Fløibanen - but it's closed for maintenance. Apparently there's a rail replacement bus, but weekdays only. You will feel right at home.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy