Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens to Geneva - Early morning transfer help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good evening all,

This is my first post, but for some time I've been reading the forum with enthusiasm (it's now got to the point where I'm checking the weather outlook thread every half hour).

Anyway; I'm hoping that somebody out there could possibly help in regards to transfers from VAl Thorens. A large group of us are heading to VT this weekend, and 2 friends have decided to book on last minute without considering potential issues with transfers. Their flights times are as follows:

Arrive in Geneva Sat 12th March @ 4:30 pm
Leave Geneva Sat 19th March @ 7:00 am

I think the girls are able to get a 1 way transfer to resort without any issues, but return transfers are a problem. The earliest ''Bens bus' or 'altiport bus' leaves at 3:50 am, which I'm assuming would be too much of a risk to make the flight?

An option for the girls would be to have a private transfer back, although as you can imagine they're not too keen on paying £220 per person.

On the off chance does anyone have any space available on their private transfer at a suitable time (obviously the girls would be willing to split costs), or is anyone able to suggest an alternative option?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

PS - Aplogies if I've posted in the wrong section. If this is the case, could a moderator please move accordingly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be worth checking train times - might be easier to train to Geneva Friday night! Raileurope.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They'll never make it in time with that transfer, it's about 3-4 hours from Val Thorens to Geneva. It will probably be cheaper to hire a car between them for a week rather than pay for a private transfer on the return leg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks James / a.j for the advice. I foolishly used google maps, which shows a journey time from Geneva to Val of about 2.5 hours.

There is a train leaving Friday night, although that would mean a 9 hour wait in the airport.

Unless anyone comes forward with any other ideas, I think that car hire is looking like the best option. Has anyone got any experience of car hire - quickly pricing it up, am I right in thinking that it would roughly cost:

* Hire: £220
* Parking: 70 Euro = £55
* Fuel: 200 mile round trip @ 35mpg = roughly £26

Total = £300 (£150 each)

Does that seem realistic?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OR: Travel the night before and spend the night in a hotel at/near the airport wink??

Try Ibis or Holiday Inn Express - both very close by and Holiday Inn Express (at least - and possibly Ibis too?) has a free shuttle bus.

Alternatively, VERY cheap digs at nearby Ferney Voltaire in France - eg Hotel Formule 1 or Hotel Stars - both rock bottom price....like £30/room Laughing; or Campanile for not much more - although you would need to factor in a 5 minutes each way taxi fare at Swiss prices. Could well still work out very reasonably though - especially vs the private transfer option. Cheap restaurants in Ferney Voltaire too.

If they go for the hire car option, no need to pay for parking, which will save a few quid. Although there is no free parking in Val T, you can park free at the roadside/right by the lifts in Les Menuires. Can ski to and from the car too. Or, as I see they would be arriving after lift hours, just pay for one night in Val T then move the car to Les Menuires. The free parking is just above the La Masse gondola, right on the main road. Can buy lift tickets at the gondola too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When I researched car hire a while ago it came in at about £250ish for the week for something big enough to fit the luggage in.

Check out these guys for parking. http://www.valthoparc.com/

I don't have any idea about fuel consumption, I've always alternated between 2 wheels with or without an engine and never actually owned a car. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JamesN wrote:
When I researched car hire a while ago it came in at about £250ish for the week for something big enough to fit the luggage in.

Check out these guys for parking. http://www.valthoparc.com/

I don't have any idea about fuel consumption, I've always alternated between 2 wheels with or without an engine and never actually owned a car. Very Happy

I was about to say the same, we always rent a car at Geneva (from the french side), fuel is always an inconsequential amount and for us is always offset by what we save in the supermarket in Moutiers. I just checked and its well under £250 for the week. We always use this crowd: www.autoeurope.co.uk/
I don't know about parking at VT, never go there, it's always free in Les Menuires, we even manage to park for free in Tignes. Also you may need to think about CDW waiver, I have an annual policy anyway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jordan.bowyer, I posted a reply in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124828#2866434

About £90each for a private transfer using alps2alps. I've used them lots of times and they've always been reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jordan.bowyer, Mountain Express quote 340 euros for a private transfer. That is £263 and therefore around £135 each. Probably their best bet. They also suggest a transfer time of 2:40 which IME is probably about right for that time of day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy