Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NY Times declares snowboarding dead

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@kat.ryb, at least someones pn my level ! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'd also like to see compenency licences for resort users for each colour of piste.

Seems a good idea. Only very compentent skiers allowed on blue runs, moderately compentent on red ones and anyone allowed on blacks will certainly reduce crowds and make blue runs, which IMHO are the most dangerous, safer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, liking your thinking!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you really think people are going to participate in a competence exam when arriving on there jollies for a week , c,mon !!!
Itll drive people away from snowsport
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The most dangerous skiing I saw last week was probably on the blue runs. What was interesting was that the danger came not from out of control intermediates or beginners, but actually from the more technically proficient. They may well have been completely in control, they certainly looked it, but the speed with which they cut past other people left no allowance for the unexpected. More than once I saw an expert skier cross less than a metre in front of a traversing beginner at a closing speed well in excess of 30mph. It's like the analogy someone here used a few weeks back: It doesn't matter how good a driver Lewis Hamilton may be, you don't want him driving at 120mph in a 30 mph speed limit past the school gates. Safety on the slopes is far more about making the right judgements than technical excellence.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kat.ryb,
Quote:

Feel the same way about your car? Its just a paint job... who cares of some dick head scratches it with a shopping trolley?

No, I don't feel the same about my car, but I do feel that way about a garden spade, a pair of hiking boots, a hammer etc. I'm not saying that having someone march all over your skis wouldn't be mildly irritating but otherwise? No, it wouldn't worry me. Skis have never struck me as something where the aesthetics are remotely important.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but I do feel that way about a garden spade, a pair of hiking boots, a hammer etc

Hammer = £5 from B&Q and as far as I am aware does not get designed with a nice paint job

Snowboard = £350 to £1000 and has been purposely designed with a nice looking top sheet graphic which does in part, influence peoples purchasing decision.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Skis have never struck me as something where the aesthetics are remotely important.

As a self professed renter of skis, who professes a love for sunnies with helmet and has an obsession with whether a belt on a man's trousers is the mark of a scoundrel, I'm not sure how much weight we should give your views on ski aesthetics wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
The most dangerous skiing I saw last week was probably on the blue runs. What was interesting was that the danger came not from out of control intermediates or beginners, but actually from the more technically proficient. They may well have been completely in control, they certainly looked it, but the speed with which they cut past other people left no allowance for the unexpected. More than once I saw an expert skier cross less than a metre in front of a traversing beginner at a closing speed well in excess of 30mph. It's like the analogy someone here used a few weeks back: It doesn't matter how good a driver Lewis Hamilton may be, you don't want him driving at 120mph in a 30 mph speed limit past the school gates. Safety on the slopes is far more about making the right judgements than technical excellence.

In this example if the hypothetical expert is truly expert the closing speed between him and the beginner is almost irrelevant - he is no more likely to hit the beginner than hit a tree or a post or a fence. The real villain of the piece is poor resort layout which sees a large number of people of diverse ability on the same piste and/or poor snow conditions which see people on terrain they would not otherwise be on. I know people who will deliberately ski all and any offpiste however shitty rather than take a piste because they dislike the free for all that is an averagely busy Euro piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu, the dreaded blue run heros. Competent enough to get some speed up and think they look good, not competent enough to deal with the consequences of said speed i.e. keeping a safe distance from others, and ability to react quickly to the inevitable (and excusable) erratic skiing of nervous developing learners. You'll easily spot the BRH's because they'll have helmet and sunnies, platinum standard rentals and their jacket flapping open. The berks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, @Dr John, Actually, the people I had in mind were almost certainly French and I wouldn't have been surprised if they were actually locals. They 100% did not fall into the category of BRH. It was plain to see they were genuinely very good skiers, but just that IMO they lacked judgement. As I said, Lewis Hamilton doing 120 mph outside the school gates.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Resort layout is almost irrelevant. In the instances I'm thinking of there was plenty of room for the faster skier to have passed at a safe (and more considerate) distance. They just chose not to because they were straight-lining the piste. I also don't understand your point about 'large number of people of diverse ability on the same piste'. Should we ban experts from anything less than a red run and prohibit intermediates from blacks? I don't see any problem with skiers of all levels skiing any run they choose. They should just adapt their skiing accordingly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Skis have never struck me as something where the aesthetics are remotely important.

As a self professed renter of skis, who professes a love for sunnies with helmet and has an obsession with whether a belt on a man's trousers is the mark of a scoundrel, I'm not sure how much weight we should give your views on ski aesthetics wink

Good post!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Good post!!

+1

Made me laugh Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kat.ryb wrote:

Snowboard = £350 to £1000 and has been purposely designed with a nice looking top sheet graphic which does in part, influence peoples purchasing decision.

The only way a top sheet graphic that influence my purchase decision is if it's so hideous that I wouldn't buy it even though it performs well!

Otherwise, I purchase skis base purely, 100% on their on snow performance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boarding is certainly in the decline
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy