Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice regarding a spare week off before a planned holiday..

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to tap in the great collective wisdom and experience!

Here's my situation;
I have a week in Tignes booked with friends 2nd - 9th of April.
I also have the week before off work and thus able to travel out at the earliest 26th (more likely to be 27th though), and nothing better to do than go play in the mountains!
And I am yet to book travel or transfers.

Having recently gone back to Val d'isere and remembering how much I loved the place I'm tempted to try find accommodation there, as it would also make for an easy transfer to Tignes!
But it does strike me as a little unadventurous.

The idea of renting a car from whichever airport, basing myself in cheaper accommodation closer to bourg st.maurice and visiting the number of resorts accessible by day tripping and going ontout Tignes has been floating around in my head, but I think the romanticism of the idea is cloading how much of a pain in the backside it could potentially be for quite a few reasons..

Alternatively I could just be happy with week at the end of season and just have a 'normal' trip away...

Any comments or critical thinking welcome, thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's really not far from Bourg to lots of different resorts. If you have a car you've got easy access to Les Arcs, La Plagne, Ste Foy, La Rosiere etc. Then you're onto Espace Killy for your second week. As you'll know it's dead easy to criss-cross EK, so if you want a contrasting week you might as well go somewhere else. I don't think it would be much hassle apart from having to pack up a bag mid-week. What's worrying you in particular?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowsmog, if it's about making it affordable, with cheaper accommodation and only one lot of transfers, why not spend the whole time in Tignes? You may then be able to get a slightly better deal on a lift pass for a longer period.

Chalet Chardons in Tignes les Brevieres is good value, and also a great place to find people to ski with.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What mostly worries me is wasting time faffing about; navigating to/around resorts, finding parking and then getting to lifts, and buying day passes in unfamiliar resorts.
All things I admittedly have no experience of as someone who normally uses package chalet holiday deals.

Nevermind the 'what if' factor of hurting myself and being suck in a resort with a car I can't drive x hours from where I left everything x hours from airport.

Sj1608, the thought has passed my mind but I also worry that two weeks consecutively in one place without pior experience of staying there, might be too long!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowsmog, I don't think that two weeks in a ski area this big would be too much, it's so big that you'd have plenty to explore, plus a chance to find your favourite bits. I assume that you are staying in the main parts of Tignes for the second week. Les Brevieres is a bit different from there - more of a villagey feel, isolated after dark (no buses, etc.), so may feel like a contrast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rent a car.

Week 1 = Chamonix. Steepest skiing in the world.

Week 2 = Tignes. Big ski area with great variety.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I'd be tempted by the lack of faff factor, and probable good snow conditions and do Val, then Tignes. Especially as Val/EK is so brillliant, I'd never be bored with two weeks there. Less travelling = more ski time!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowsmog, I think I could live in Espace Killy and never get bored. You could mostly ski in Val the first week and Tignes the second. Or you could concentrate on something like off-piste or parks in the first week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would do ValT and then Tignes too. EK is massive and you won't get bored and you can check out the far corners of each by doing the two different bases.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For anyone interested I've gone for Val d'isere for 6 days and then over to Tignes.

Thanks for the input.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowsmog, have a great time, I'm sure you will!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having only just returned from Val D on Sunday to say I'm excited is an understatement!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maireadoconnor wrote:
It's really not far from Bourg to lots of different resorts. If you have a car you've got easy access to Les Arcs, La Plagne, Ste Foy, La Rosiere etc. Then you're onto Espace Killy for your second week. As you'll know it's dead easy to criss-cross EK, so if you want a contrasting week you might as well go somewhere else. I don't think it would be much hassle apart from having to pack up a bag mid-week. What's worrying you in particular?

I'd have been tempted by this too. The 2nd week could be the faff-less week, use the first to do some exploring
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowsmog, Very Happy Have fun
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, I've read this post & hope you have a great time, I've skied lots of places & having a car to move around different resorts can be great. But one issue hasn't been mentioned, how are you getting there & back?
If your holiday that is already booked comes with return flights, by not turning up for the outbound flight, the inbound flight is usually cancelled! You do not want to turn up at the airport for the trip home & find your flight has been cancelled. This is standard airline procedure.
snow report
Hi, I've read this post & hope you have a great time, I've skied lots of places & having a car to move around different resorts can be great. But one issue hasn't been mentioned, how are you getting there & back?
If your holiday that is already booked comes with return flights, by not turning up for the outbound flight, the inbound flight is usually cancelled! You do not want to turn up at the airport for the trip home & find your flight has been cancelled. This is standard airline procedure.
snow conditions
Thanks for the concern bud.
But all accommodation, flights and transfers have been arranged independently of each other. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy