Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross-country in La Plagne: help needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got any tips regarding cross-country skiing in La Plagne? I have two cross-country beginners who will be in Plagne 1800 all next week, and we were looking for recommendations regarding lessons, equipment hire and tracks. They are good downhill skiers and want to learn the basics of skating style over the week.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd ask the ski schools. Beginners, even those who are competent downhill skiers generally start with classic but the ski school can advise on that too. Most hire shops near xc tracks will hire the gear but you need to very clear whether it's classic or skating gear you're after. Do let us know how they get on. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonpim should be able to tell you about cross country skiing around Plagne 1800, I imagine he will be on soon, assuming he hasn't been caught out by the French strike action today.

There is a dedicated cross country skiing area in Champagny le haut which is accessible by car or you could even alpine ski from 1800 to Champagny and then catch free navette between Champagny en Vanoise and Champagny le haut. It has a number of tracks of varying level and distance, around 25kms in total, it has it's own lift pass office (hut) and I'm sure they could arrange lessons up there for you. In the past we have just rented cross country skis from skiset in Champagny en Vanoise, driven up to Champagny le haut and given it a go. It usually means a bit of falling over but they should be able to manage a few laps of the beginner tracks on the first day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much both of you for the helpful info! I look forward to what jonpim says...

We haven't got access to a car, so we'll have to see what we can do with resort buses and lifts.

They aren't total beginners - they've been on classic tracks a couple of times before without any instruction, but have hit a bit of a plateau and want to try learning some technique (and how to slow down and turn on downhill sections without edges!).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a lot to learn in terms of classic techniques. It's not about shuffling around. Ski schools will do both. My instructor told me that I should master the "pas tournant" on classic skis - ie turning in a series of steps, onto the inside ski, rather than snowplough turns with weight on the outside ski - before going for skating. I'm still trying!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a lot to learn in terms of classic techniques. It's not about shuffling around. Ski schools will do both. My instructor told me that I should master the "pas tournant" on classic skis - ie turning in a series of steps, onto the inside ski, rather than snowplough turns with weight on the outside ski - before going for skating. I'm still trying!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ibexag, Will they really want to learn cross country skiing when the conditions are as good as they are now for Alpine skiing?
We tried it at New Year when the snow wasn't that great and had intentions to go at least once a week throughout the season. However, the downhill skiing has improved tremendously and we haven't returned to cross country yet. This week must be one of the best weeks of the season so far so they could well be tempted just to stick to downhill.

If they are still keen and are happy to ski across to Champagny I'll find out the times of the navettes and details of instructors, they're not shown on the website.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skichampcouk - believe me, I think they're mad too which is why I'll be hitting the slopes with downhill skis!

They've been meaning to get lessons for a while and have decided that this is the week to finally learn some proper technique.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy