Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF adult lessons St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are back in St Gervais 1st April & my wife has decided she wants to get in on this skiing bug that me & my sons have. I wonder if anyone could advise on 2 points.
1) What would you expect a nervous complete beginner to be able to do after 5, 2.5 hour lessons. Is being able to do a green run realistic?
2) hopefully this won't be an issue but what happens to payment if there is not sufficient snow to learn on?
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there is no snow you get your money back but that's vanishingly unlikely. After a week of lessons I'd expect someone to happily ski green runs and most will have a go at blues. Just be very careful to stick to runs she's done with the instructor in the morning. How about a private lesson in a fridge before you go? Is she reasonably fit? That will make a difference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Pam says, after 5 lessons I'd expect her to be able to ski Green runs, just don't expect her to be fast. Although if she's athletic and fearless she could progress much faster.

I'm trying to remember the runs at St Gervais as it's a while since I've been there. IIRC the green run down to Le Bettex from the top can be a bit narrow in places but should otherwise be OK. Just avoid it at the end of the day when it can get busy and you can have crowds of people whizzing past.

The long green down to Megeve on the other side is a nice run with one shortish steep bit that's probably a bit blueish.

And the beginner slopes are at Le Bettex which is at 1400m so should be fine for snow.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-03-16 8:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going down at the end of the day is probably best done in a lift.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes the red from bettex to StG is a no go but know the one older scot us referring to. Thanks for the help
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes the red from bettex to StG is a no go but know the one older scot us referring to. Thanks for the help
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I too would think the St Gervais green runs very doable for a nervous beginner after a week - I took 'Bambi on snow' with me one year who was scared to death of, well everything really, and even she managed get around fine by the end of the week.

You really can go quite a long way on green slopes around St Gervais/Megeve which helps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, that's her booked in. lets hope she gets the bug and spends the summer looking forward to next season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy