Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski In/Ski Out Resorts - Any recommended?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just come back from a week at Hucksters in Vallandry, Les Arcs. The nearest lift was 30 yards away, and the nearest piste went right past the door. All this talk of walking uphill to warm up is rubbish. Give me skiing to the door any day. 😊
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mihaid wrote:
karin wrote:
Quote:

I enjoyed Belle Plagne for ski in, you can attack it from several different directions at the end of the day depending on where you've been. In the morning it's a short run to Plagne Bellecote where again you've got a choice of which way to head. Not much in the way of Apres ski though if that's your thing.

+1
Went in January and literally walked out the door of the boot room, put skis on, slid 50m onto piste and then down to Bellecote. End of the day slid right up to the back door. Never stayed anywhere so ski-in ski-out before, was quite a revelation!

once you experience ski in out you never go back. avoriaz we had 2 places one actual out of the door, one virtual, both were Pierre vacances self catering

+2 for Belle Plagne. La Tete in the centre for apres.

Personally, I'm not so sure about ski in/out anymore, having been an advocate for many years. As long as it isn't a ridiculous hike, there are plenty of merits to being in a town.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the recommendations guy's, there's plenty to look into. We just returned from Lauterbrunnen which involved a train ride each morning/afternoon culminating in about 1-2hours of your day commuting to get onto/leave the piste. If we'd had stayed in Wengen itself then it wouldn't have been such as issue as you could literally ski right into the town which would have been great to finish off each day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Train ride.

Bus ride.

Long walk.

Not wanted on my ski holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, +1, with the caveat of checking exactly where the accommodation is. You could end up with a very steep walk/loads of stairs of you want to go out in the evening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suppose this thread just illustrates that there are many aspects of a holiday to be taken into account before making a final choice and that we are all different. I like being close to the skiing and am not bothered about whether its convenient for the nightlife, or whether there is any! I'd rather be in a quiet spot with a view of the mountains. With kids we found a key requirement, as well as convenient skiing, was snow to play in right outside the accommodation. An apartment in Mottaret was best ever for that. They were out toboganning till past dark every night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The op has bu66ered off anyway so why bother Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My longest ever walk between residence and lift was a ski-in ski-out mega resort
Only place I've tobogganed right outside was the one with a 5 minute minibus ride down the hill
I "ruined" my last 2 trips by walking across a carpark to get on a lift, rather than sliding 30 seconds down a short green run to get to a lift

Lauterbrunnen to the summit is quite a long ride though. Wengen to the summit is not so bad.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore wrote:
mihaid wrote:
karin wrote:
Quote:

I enjoyed Belle Plagne for ski in, you can attack it from several different directions at the end of the day depending on where you've been. In the morning it's a short run to Plagne Bellecote where again you've got a choice of which way to head. Not much in the way of Apres ski though if that's your thing.

+1
Went in January and literally walked out the door of the boot room, put skis on, slid 50m onto piste and then down to Bellecote. End of the day slid right up to the back door. Never stayed anywhere so ski-in ski-out before, was quite a revelation!

once you experience ski in out you never go back. avoriaz we had 2 places one actual out of the door, one virtual, both were Pierre vacances self catering

+2 for Belle Plagne. La Tete in the centre for apres.

Personally, I'm not so sure about ski in/out anymore, having been an advocate for many years. As long as it isn't a ridiculous hike, there are plenty of merits to being in a town.

yes, but when you could do both it's heaven and there seem to be many such places.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mihaid, It would take no effort whatsoever for me not to go back to Avoriaz, believe me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stayed at Les Arcs 1950 (Radison Apts) over Christmas, a few years back. It couldn't have been handier...you put your Skis on just outside the boot locker and followed the gentle slope down to the connecting lift. On the way back, you dropped over a small ledge and poled through the little village and round to the locker.

The village was designed by IntraWest (of Whistler fame), so the Apts are much bigger and more luxurious than the usual French shoe boxes. It is all wood and stone and everything you need is a stone's throw away...certainly much nicer than the Moonbase Alpha feel of Arcs 2000.

When we were there, the restaurants and ski shops couldn't cope with the amount of people staying over Christmas. Restaurants needed to be booked at the start of the week and I gave up trying to get skis hired on the first morning, so ended up taking the connecting lift up to Arc 2000. Things may now have improved, as that was a while ago.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 17-03-16 10:32; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Talk of Moonbase Alpha - I once had reason to walk through the centre of the gigantic Aime La Plagne 2000 building. It's like walking along the main arcade corridor in a cheap cruise ship (or so I imagine) - with bars, amusement arcades, souvenir & ski shops, restaurants, Savoyarde specialities, etc. all the way along (many without frontage). And given it's all completely isolated from the cold outdoors, no doubt mums & kids who've all popped down in their onesies for a swift half with hubby.

It may be ski in/ski out, but that wouldn't swing it for me (I hate the piste layout in La Plagne anyway).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am currently staying at the sun vallee apartments in Puy Saint-Vincent. Great for families (through Snowbizz) and since all restaurants/bars/supermarket/bakery etc is all within the same complex, very convenient.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oberlech & Zurs. Zurserhof is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Talk of Moonbase Alpha - I once had reason to walk through the centre of the gigantic Aime La Plagne 2000 building. It's like walking along the main arcade corridor in a cheap cruise ship (or so I imagine) - with bars, amusement arcades, souvenir & ski shops, restaurants, Savoyarde specialities, etc. all the way along (many without frontage). And given it's all completely isolated from the cold outdoors, no doubt mums & kids who've all popped down in their onesies for a swift half with hubby.

It may be ski in/ski out, but that wouldn't swing it for me (I hate the piste layout in La Plagne anyway).

+1 to all of the above
an aging cheap cruise ship of questionable seaworthiness!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy