Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski In/Ski Out Resorts - Any recommended?

Poster: A snowHead
What recommendations can you lot give for decent Ski-in/Ski Out resorts... yes it all depends on snow (and I'm guessing a higher resort would benefit this) I know but given the "faff" of getting about this year, this is something we really want to look at for our next trip.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc1950 - depending on what you want ref food
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arc1950 without question. Ski locker room has direct access to runs, it is true ski-in/ski out. Also the same runs lead directly to the night skiing in the top Les Arcs bowl. I've got a self-catering apartment that sleeps four (double twin + sofa bed if are interested) due to demand we are already taking bookings for next season. Plenty of other options for food both on and off piste if you don't want to cook for yourselves.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arctic Roll wrote:
Arc1950 - depending on what you want ref food

Would love catered chalet or hotel providing meals.... do they tend to be mostly self catered apartments that provide ski in/out?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens, Avoriaz, Flaine, Tignes, La Daille Apartments Val d'Isere, Livigno and Isola 2000.

All of the above have have lots of ski in ski out accommodation.

Walking in 4 clip ski boots is a cruel and inhuman punishment, especially after a hard days skiing and some adult beverages in the Moosewirt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TQA, I disagree.
I reckon ski-in-ski-out is A Very Bad Idea.
You go straight from Porridge to Piste without any warm-up at all.
Much better is a good hike to the slopes, preferably involving a walk up hill
(that means down-hill on way home at end of the day Smile )
Even better if the walk goes past a pub for suitable evening medication.
And properly fitted 4-clip boots are no torture at all after a hard day's skiing - by then they are all hot and flexi.
Rather worse is that morning march, when i do have to keep the buckles loose.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want a nice wide longish cruisy ski-in, add St Christoph to the above.

Depending on ability, sometimes "ski-ins" can be somewhat challenging..maybe worth checking out/confirming just how far from the piste (and, importantly, what sort of access it is..I have watched people get off their skis in VT and scramble down a bumpy, narrow incline to get to their locker...but at the same resort watched people glide to their lodgings an decant effortlessly at the door; elsewhere, I have also skied through a narrow wooded, icy downhill path with rocks , narrowly avoiding fallen skiers or falling myself..since the "adjacent" piste was actually a scraped off busy ice sheet). Having said all that, ski-in-ski out is definitely (usually!) outweighs the end-of-day tramp, well described above ! Very Happy

suec
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most resorts have slopeside accommodation if you choose carefully. In Austria look for bergasthof or berghotel. I can think of a fair few in Italy too. But I do agree with the poster above that a walk to and from the lifts can be a good warm up/down. If you use the locker facilities at the lift stations you can do the walking in comfy boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are lots of ski in ski out chalets and hotels in La Plagne; look at Silver Ski, Ski Olympic, club med, Esprit and mountain Heaven for just a few examples of T/O's with ski in/out options.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Risoul was good for ski in-ski out. We skied to and from our balcony (why the ground floor apartment had a balcony I'm not sure...)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Spike107, Oberlech if you have the wallet the size of a Bentley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never stayed in Oberlech, wallet is Smart Car sized.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obergurgl is an obvious choice for ski in/out with decent hotels. Not cheap but certainly cheaper than Oberlech. Obertauern also starts with an O and has plenty ski in/out hotels.

There are lots of resorts which aren't ski in/out but aren't necessarily a faff to get around. Last month I was in Nauders in Austria. Bottom gondola station is 2km from the village, but our hotel (and many others) ran their minibus on demand. Every morning we walked out the bootroom and into a waiting Mercedes. Every afternoon we phoned from the gondola or bar and the van was there within 5 minutes. Ski-2 do a similar thing for all their clients in Champoluc - phone whenever you want to go to/from skiing and a car or minibus magically appears. Ski-2 also provided a boot/ski room directly under the main gondola station so we actually walked to/from the hotel most days as I liked the walk.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another not cheap option but Courchevel 1850 has plenty of ski in ski out chalets
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at Powder n Shine's website - their catered chalets in Reberty (3 Valleys) are right on a main piste and the chalets and food are excellent. Not the cheapest catered chalets but very good value, specially if you compare them to Courcheval.
ski holidays
Avoriaz is the best ski-in/out if you ask me.

One can ski out of a Falaise apartment in Avoriaz down an entire run (Proclou).

Avoriaz is so good, it is almost a snowboard in/out resort, let alone a ski in/out one.

It varies throughout Avoriaz in terms of how far a snowboard can get fully in and fully out of any particular accommodation, i.e. without ANY scooting.

Of course, some normally non-ski in/out resorts can become ski in/out upon heavy snowfall. I was once amused to snowboard >1km along the main road alongside buses and cars from one end of Zermatt to the other.
snow report
Accommodation next to a bus stop in Val d'Isere takes some beating.
ski holidays
I enjoyed Belle Plagne for ski in, you can attack it from several different directions at the end of the day depending on where you've been. In the morning it's a short run to Plagne Bellecote where again you've got a choice of which way to head. Not much in the way of Apres ski though if that's your thing.
snow report
Also consider places like Soll, Westendorf and many others which have heated ski storage at the lift station - you just ski down to the bottom and leave your skis and boots their till next morning. On with the comfy shoes and then short village walk no problem with no gear!

With 3 kids under 7 skiing I have managed to remove all faff from the process!
ski holidays
rfb111 wrote:

With 3 kids under 7 skiing I have managed to remove all faff from the process!

That takes some doing. We only managed it with our 3, years past, by parking the car right next to lifts. Most places are a bit busier these days though Laughing
latest report
Arc 1950, also charmetogger in 1800 and some of vallandry. Arc 2000 is bleak in Jan but convenient and good selection of catered chalets. Les menuires - ski amis have some of the most convenient chalets I've experienced, Nelson have a good one up the hill. Couchevel 1550 was surprisingly good (but not all chalets there are). A lot of tignes but again bleak at times. Belle plagne. Not Val disere, not plagne centre.
ski holidays
Quote:

I enjoyed Belle Plagne for ski in, you can attack it from several different directions at the end of the day depending on where you've been. In the morning it's a short run to Plagne Bellecote where again you've got a choice of which way to head. Not much in the way of Apres ski though if that's your thing.

+1
Went in January and literally walked out the door of the boot room, put skis on, slid 50m onto piste and then down to Bellecote. End of the day slid right up to the back door. Never stayed anywhere so ski-in ski-out before, was quite a revelation!
ski holidays
I second Belle Plagne. We stayed in the Hotel Des Deux Domaines, which was ski in/out.

Also La Rosiere was good, especially in the Esprit Chalets
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
TQA, I disagree.
I reckon ski-in-ski-out is A Very Bad Idea.
You go straight from Porridge to Piste without any warm-up at all.
Much better is a good hike to the slopes, preferably involving a walk up hill
(that means down-hill on way home at end of the day Smile )
Even better if the walk goes past a pub for suitable evening medication.
And properly fitted 4-clip boots are no torture at all after a hard day's skiing - by then they are all hot and flexi.
Rather worse is that morning march, when i do have to keep the buckles loose.

I agree with that. Just a ten minute walk, not necessarily uphill but just enough to break sweat, is a good idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

I was once amused to snowboard >1km along the main road alongside buses and cars from one end of Zermatt to the other.

I haven't been to Zermatt for many years. When did they start allowing cars into the town?
snow report
@richjp, that depends on what piste you're going on to and how long a run it is. Stayed pretty much on a blue piste in VT and the first run in the morning was the gentle green past Funitel Peclet and down to the Moutieres lift. Good way to do some warm up moves and get your feet working right. BY comparison I stayed in Les Coches and the 5 minutes walk was followed by about 10-15 minutes on a lift before I got to anything resembling a decent run.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I haven't been to Zermatt for many years. When did they start allowing cars into the town?

Ok, heavy traffic, comprising buses and other vehicles.

It was upon return from the Zermatt-Furi cable car back to Chalet Mazot (during a late afternoon dump) - and I deduce it was along Bachstrasse. And this would have been about 20 years ago.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-03-16 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

It varies throughout Avoriaz in terms of how far a snowboard can get fully in and fully out of any particular accommodation, i.e. without ANY scooting

Club med in avoriaz is awesome ski in ski out even for snowboarders snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots in France - depends on what level of skiing you want. My first holiday was a ski door to door in La Plagne - great for intermediates, good off piste, not many reds though. i've also done ski to door in Les Menuires, which gives you access to the whole of the 3 Valleys but the night life up there was non-existent.

Also done virtually door to door (lift or slope just outside the door sort of stuff) in Breckenridge, Flaine, Hinterglemm, Alpe d'Huez, Courcheval, Tignes.

Need to narrow down what else you want out of a resort really - transfer time, facilities, type of skiing, entertainment, costs
snow report
Stayed in the Grand Bois apartments in La Tania, 3V, a couple of years ago. They're pretty basic, but with a price to match, and are so convenient - you walk a few steps out of the ski locker room to the snow, where it's a minute's walk or a tiny ski down to the main gondola, or an alternative drag lift. At the end of the day, you can ski literally to the door of the locker room. Location wise, it's been my favourite place to stay - apart from the skiing, you're also a couple of minutes' walk from a handful of bars, restaurants, nice bakery, etc, and the views from our apartment were lovely. (Also really liked the home blue run, Folyeres - looked forward to it every day, which I'm sure, as a cautious 2nd-week skier at the time, wouldn't have been the case for all home runs!)
snow report
@catclaires, yep stayed there at Christmas and is great to ski in. I was less keen on going out though, there's a lot of sitting on lifts before you get a proper run. That's where somewhere like VT has a benefit, you have a nice 5 minutes or so of skiing before you have to get a lift.
snow conditions
For families Valmorel wins hands down for s/c. I'm guessing that the club med there would fare pretty well if you didn't want to cook.
Saying that, if you weren't on holiday with kids and wanted a large domain with challenging runs and lively après, I'd steer clear of the place.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, yeah, I know what you mean, and I really like the sound of the location on the blue piste in VT that you mention above. Do you have the name of that accommodation, by any chance? VT is on my (very long) ski wish list, as loved the skiing in 3V generally but didn't quite make it over to that side!
ski holidays
@catclaires, It was a Crystal trip to Tourotel I think...not the classiest of places. The 2 person room we were in was tiny and very outdated (even for cheap s/c accomodation). The other rooms could be better though. The benefit was that you'd come from the locker room, go up about 6 steps to the exit door, down about 4 steps outside and be effectively stood on a piste
ski holidays
Mottaret. Not a place of great beauty, but super-convenient for the whole of 3V.
latest report
Quote:
Accommodation next to a bus stop in Val d'Isere takes some beating
...at least for avid subscribers to Omnibus Enthusiast magazine... Toofy Grin
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, thanks for the info Smile
snow report
catclaires wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, thanks for the info Smile

I stayed with Crystal in le cheval blanc apartments in VT - about a 20 metre walk to the slope above Peclet, and ski back right to the locker room door. Nothing too fancy, but did the job for us.
snow report
If you are interested in skiing the Dolomites, our favourite hotel in Arabba is ski-in/ski-out across a short off-piste path. Details at www.hotelalpenrosearabba.it. Both hotel and ski area highly recommended. Smile
ski holidays
karin wrote:
Quote:

+1
Went in January and literally walked out the door of the boot room, put skis on, slid 50m onto piste and then down to Bellecote. End of the day slid right up to the back door. Never stayed anywhere so ski-in ski-out before, was quite a revelation!

once you experience ski in out you never go back. avoriaz we had 2 places one actual out of the door, one virtual, both were Pierre vacances self catering
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy