Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PLEASE help - Breckenridge or Whistler?? PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.....

Looking at going across the pond to ski & snowboard.......

Looking at staying in Whistler 16 - 26th Dec at a 2/3 star Listel Hotel....

OR

Breckenridge 16 - 26th Dec staying at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center also for 10 nights....

Both round about the same price...

JUST need to decide... if anyone has been to BOTH or EITHER can you please help me out.

Muchos gracias & many thanks in advance.

Robert Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whose in your group? What ability? What do you enjoy skiing? What do you want from a resort?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Both intermediates, been to Banff last 2 years and loved it but wanted something more ski in ski out or closer than catching the bus to the slopes, I normally snowboard and ski everything, like going on some intermediates with my wife but also a bit of powder on my snowboard.

My wife is pushing me to book something asap so am in a dilemma!!

Thanks for your help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally, having been to neither, I would go to Whistler.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mobsta007, Been to both. Whistler - no contest. But take your wet weather gear... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stoatsbrother - So cryptic??

Why wet weather gear???

Is whistler far superior to Breckenridge?? Also , where is the best area to stay in Whistler , in the main village area??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to both twice now. Wouldnt go back to Brek as its too small an area BUT you can ski other areas on the same pass which makes up for it a bit. Keystone is only around 20- 30 mins away by bus and the ABasin 10 more on from Keystone both worth visiting IMV. Smile

Brek is the tamer of the two but a really nice town where as Whistler is the purpose built place it claims to be. I would have thought at the time you are going they will both be busy.

From what you say about your ability you are probably going to head to Whistler wink

If you want to try Brek at a later date go to Vail and ski Brek for a day - should be enough.

Wherever you end up you will have a great time Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should enjoy either. Both will be busy (& expensive Puzzled ) at Christmas. On top of the jet-lag you need a few days to acclimatise to the altitude at Breckenridge. Whistler is a must do as you have the chance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mobsta007, Whistler gets a fair amount of rain at the base, but great snow further up. Lechbob is spot on about the altitude - Brek is limited, rather high - and therefore misses out on some of the below-the-treeline skiing that is so good in North America. Many of the people who rave about Brek have not skied in many other US/Canada resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never been to Whistler, but my recollection of Breck from 6 years ago is that it has lots of flat spots on the lower mountain, especially on the runs returning to the village. It was very hard work dragging the kids around, and I suspect that it could be painful on a board. Having said that, you can largely avoid the lower mountain except for the end of the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spent 6 weeks in Breck this year and absolutely loved it. Have also been to Whistler 4 times and my vote would be for Whistler, We've also stayed at the listel which is a good hotel just set behind the main street and only a few minutes from the gondolas and all the bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thank you all for all your opinions... i think I may be going to Whistler......

Whoo Hooooo
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know about the transfers to Whistler?? Is it better to buy this at the Airport?

Also, on expedia they sell the Whistler Blackcomb Lift Ticket 7 out of 8 days skiing for £215.00, is this the best way to do it or can anyone suggest a better more economical way of doing it!!

Thank you all, if i could I would buy all of you a drink !!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do a search of recent threads as I asked about private transfers from Vancouver Airport to Whistler and got a lot of good info.

I have previously used this bus company

http://www.perimeterbus.com/

who are fine and go directly from just outside the arrivals hall at the airport. They will drop you at or very near to your accomodation.

As an alternative to the Listel, if you want to go self catering try this site which I (and others on this site) have used

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

Both sites usually have access to cheaper lift tickets. Also try

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

to see if they have any early booking deals
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On your point of when to buy, you can do it online in advance or at the airport (subject to there being space on the bus). We have always done it online. The price is the same whichever you choose. Some buses I have been on have been full, others half empty.

I had a look at some of the lift ticket prices.....there dont seem to be any deals for that time, which is not really surprising as it is one of the busiest weeks of the season.
ski holidays
Been to both - would pick Whistler for size and variety of skiing (at risk of occasional rain or shitty conditions though).
ski holidays
I agree with Lechbob

Quote:

On top of the jet-lag you need a few days to acclimatise to the altitude at Breckenridge.

In fact I think the Colorado altitude problem can be a bit understated..... During the night of our arrival in Breckenridge, the person I was with developed a heart rate of about 150 and felt short of breath. A trip to the medical centre in the morning diagnosed it (acute mountain sickness - AMS) and sorted it (tablets and x2 nights sleeping on oxygen) and all was well in the end. Nevertheless a bit of a worry at the time.

Found out later that if you are going up quickly to altitude (eg Denver to Breckenridge by bus as above) that EVERYONE is susceptible to AMS at some point above 7000-8000 feet - it just depends at what level it kicks in. Interestingly, the person above was fine at 9100 feet at Winter Park - compared to 9600 feet at Breckenridge and was also fine when hiking in the alps and ascending steadily over a few days to over 10,000 feet. Normal Alps glacier trips have also been fine.

A general Breckenridge website says:

"It should be noted that there are no specific factors such as age, sex or physical condition that correlate with susceptibility to altitude sickness when visiting Breckenridge. Simply put: some people get it, some do not and some are more susceptible than others."
snow conditions
mountainaddict, I normally go high for my pre-Xmas ski & the altitude thing hits me a specific altitude like at the base of the glacier at Tignes but not a little lower. I can go higher later in the season without distress. I paticularly noticed it in Zermat, I was OK at 3400m but at 3800m it was like hitting a wall, I could hardly breath & my heart was racing. A few days later I was reasonably OK. I think it helps to get in shape before you go, saying that I better start now only 8 weeks to go yippee Very Happy
snow report
We have been to both. We were a bit bored with Whistler after 10 days (rain and closed best back bowl areas didn't help). We went to Breckenridge last year for 14 days and could't get enough. It was the first time ever we have said we will definately go to the same place twice. Breck is great on it's own but it's the variety that swings it. Beaver Creak, Vail, Keystone, & Arapahoe Basin are all on the lift ticket. It did take about two to three days to get used to the altitude though. Crystal Chalet (Northstar) was briliant! Soooo much better than Self Catering in Whistler.
snow conditions
just incase you've not booked yet, i just received an email from skisafari kindly informing me of buy 7 nights accommodation get another 3 free and buy 7 days ski pass get a 10 day pass.

whistler creekside looks much more affordable than whistler village. legends looks good.

wish i could go Sad
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
mountainaddict, I normally go high for my pre-Xmas ski & the altitude thing hits me a specific altitude like at the base of the glacier at Tignes but not a little lower. I can go higher later in the season without distress. I paticularly noticed it in Zermat, I was OK at 3400m but at 3800m it was like hitting a wall, I could hardly breath & my heart was racing. A few days later I was reasonably OK. I think it helps to get in shape before you go, saying that I better start now only 8 weeks to go yippee Very Happy

Interesting same here with Zermatt once i've got down from the KM lift staion to that long flat back down to trocknersteg I'm fine again. Having quit smoking this year I'm hoping to see an improvement on that...and might cut down on the Dole local vino.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:

Interesting same here with Zermatt once i've got down from the KM lift staion to that long flat back down to trocknersteg I'm fine again. Having quit smoking this year I'm hoping to see an improvement on that...and might cut down on the Dole local vino.
snow conditions
I've been to both and had a great time at both. I have to say that the weather was awful for us at Whistler - we were there for a month and it snowed about three times.

I would imagine that Breckenridge might be more reliable early season as it's so high. We spent a couple of days in Denver first and didn't have any altitude problems. Going to the other places near Breck was a big bonus - I loved A-Basin.

I also found Breck got skied out slower than Whistler, and had fewer big queues. Whistler has better terrain, Breck has better parks, as I remember. Breck is probably better for a mixed group, Whistler for a more experienced bunch.

But really, they're both fantastic places. If you've never been to Whistler I would probably say go there.

I remember Whistler having far more flat spots than Breckenridge! There's a narrow 10km green at the end of one of the bowls (Sun Bowl?) that's very tricky on a board - you need thighs of steel to do it all the way. Worth it though, for the bowl Smile
snow report
Quote:

whistler creekside looks much more affordable than whistler village. legends looks good.

That is true i think on both counts, though I should say that I have never stayed in Creekside and have seen Legends only from the outside.

If you have never been ,then you have to know some stuff.

Creekside is I believe the original Whistler development so parts of it might predate what is now Whistler Village (though not I think, Legends). The distance between Creekside and Whistler Village is such that you would not walk it (at least I wouldnt). There is a bus service for a lot of the day (it may be free, if it isnt I am sure it doesnt cost a lot) and lots of taxis. The main action apres ski and in the evening is in the Village. There are restaurants and bars in Creekside but on say a 10 day break I would assume you would want to spend at least 7 out of the 10 going to the Village so you have to factor that into your decision where to stay.

Legends is at the bottom of the Dave Murray run and is as near to ski in/ski out as you will get anywhere in the resort.

From Creekside you access directly the Whistler mountain lift system. You do not access the Blackcomb system. To get to Blackcomb you have 3 choices being (1) get a bus to the Village or Upper Village and access directly (2) go up the Creekside Gondola, up the Red Chair, ski down to the Blackcomb base and access Blackcomb from there or (3) brand new for this year, if it works, go up the Creekside Gondola, up the Red Chair which takes you to just above the new Peak to Peak gondola and use that to get over to Blackcomb (that ,by the way, seems to me to be the best rationale for why they built the thing in the first place, which I have to say I dont think is a great idea, but leave that aside)

.Frankly I would take the bus but others may differ on that.

I believe that they are developing Creekside quite a lot for the Olympics so it may well be bigger/better than last year when I was there. In addition it has my absolute favourite Whistler restaurant which is the Rimrock.
ski holidays
Go to Whistler - you will not regret it mate, absolutely fantastic... Number one resort in the world for numerous reasons.

Dont be put off by the scare stories about rain - you get that in Europe too believe it or not!?! But when the snow comes in Whistler, it arrives big style!

Anyway, make up your own mind but having been to numerous resorts all over Europe, including season working, nothing compares to Whistler IMO and I think everybody on this board needs to go there at least once! But it does depend what you like of course..

Have fun Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks Robbof.....

I have booked to go to Whistler.... I just have to do it... not too sure if and when I'll be able to go there again...so as they say when opportunity knocks and all that!!

the "scare stories" of rain are a little worrying though as the last two years in Banff 16 Dec - 26th Dec have been brilliant for snow!!

Booked for 10 days to Banff though with Direct flights as well so only 9 hours flying....

Thanks again.
ski holidays
mobsta007 wrote:
Hi everyone.....

Looking at going across the pond to ski & snowboard.......

Looking at staying in Whistler 16 - 26th Dec at a 2/3 star Listel Hotel....

OR

Breckenridge 16 - 26th Dec staying at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center also for 10 nights....

Both round about the same price...

JUST need to decide... if anyone has been to BOTH or EITHER can you please help me out.

Muchos gracias & many thanks in advance.

Robert Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
Go for Beaver Run Resort,right on the slope,the rooms are pretty good,most with whirlpool bath.The skiing is fantastic,anything from almost flat to double blacks.Also the new Imperial Chair takes you to the highest skiing in U.S.A. at over 12,000 ft.The town itself is very nice,with good shopping and great eating and drinking.You can also do snowmobiling,husky sledding,and lots more.If you want some pics.E-Mail me on alpaters1@aol.com
ski holidays
mobsta007, excellent decision. I was in Whistler for the second/third week of December for the previous two seasons, and I bet we had better snow than you had in Banff (actually, it was probably better than anywhere on earth for those two weeks - over 60cms in one night!!!)

Just to prove how much I trust the place for early season snow (also checked historical charts, not just basing it on the two trips), I have booked another early December trip for this season. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robbof wrote:
Go to Whistler - you will not regret it mate, absolutely fantastic... Number one resort in the world for numerous reasons.
Dont be put off by the scare stories about rain - you get that in Europe too believe it or not!?! But when the snow comes in Whistler, it arrives big style!

Robbof, thx for pointing out this little known fact about precipitation (regularly in fact) falling as rain in European ski resorts. When one reads these forums, it does appear that it only ever rains in Whistler. I'm in the 60+ days range at Whistler now, and had rain 3 times. You'll be unlucky to get rain in mid December.

I'll hopefully be skiing there on opening weekend in 5 weeks. Only once this decade has it not been darn fine in November Smile Altitude is not a prerequisite for early snow in North America ...
ski holidays
Good to hear, skisimon, as I've booked for December too (9th - 23rd). The conditions last year looked superb.
snow report
Skisimon,

Thanks for the historical analysis check on the snow and glad to know from a "super-snowhead" that you are also going... I normally go early Dec as there are not so many crowds (well in Banff anyway!), with it obviously getting busier on the run up to Christmas.

I really can't wait and am already looking at the Whistler webcams to watch the snow forming !!

Whoo hoo !!! Thanks again.
ski holidays
mobsta007, cheap, snowy and quiet - exactly what's so perfect about Canada pre-Xmas... The only thing you may have to contend with is the Vancouverites heading up to Whistler for the weekend if it's really good (well, even if it's only just slightly good I suppose); still, it pales in comparison to Europe on busy day - especially if you head off to a nook or a cranny (of which there are a few in Whistler) away from the crowds.

jcbaragorn, excellent! Shall have to meet up for a beer one afternoon before I head back (I'm in Whistler 6th-14th, then in Vancouver for a couple of days before flying home Crying or Very sad ... probably wink ...)
snow report
skisimon, sounds like a plan. I don't have any commitments (other than skiing) so can meet up anytime, really. I'll get the beer as thanks for your advice earlier this summer Smile
snow report
mobsta - have you booked it as a diy? if so what has it cost you (if you dont mind me asking?)
latest report
gortonator wrote:
Robbof wrote:

Robbof, thx for pointing out this little known fact about precipitation (regularly in fact) falling as rain in European ski resorts. When one reads these forums, it does appear that it only ever rains in Whistler. I'm in the 60+ days range at Whistler now, and had rain 3 times. You'll be unlucky to get rain in mid December.

I'll hopefully be skiing there on opening weekend in 5 weeks. Only once this decade has it not been darn fine in November Smile Altitude is not a prerequisite for early snow in North America ...

Ha ha, completely agree with you mate, it does appear that rain in Europe is an impossibility!! Having encountered 2 weeks of constant rain in the 3 Valleys, I am a witness to this rare event!

I love Whistler and am looking forward to getting back out there this season.

Have fun whever you all end up! Very Happy
latest report
jcbaragorn, excellent! Madeye-Smiley I had to check through historical posts to find out what advice I'd given you... Embarassed
snow conditions
+1 for Whistler Smile
snow conditions
Snow high up is looking alright already for Whistler but the Village has no snow at the moment!!

snowHead
snow conditions
Robbof wrote:

Ha ha, completely agree with you mate, it does appear that rain in Europe is an impossibility!! Having encountered 2 weeks of constant rain in the 3 Valleys, I am a witness to this rare event!

I love Whistler and am looking forward to getting back out there this season.

Shurely shome mishtake! Rain in the 3 valleys. Simply not possible - you must've been hallucinating. I never hear anyone mention rain when discussing France on these forums - 3 Valleys is high, snowsure, reliable Laughing

Definitely at Whistler for a week at Xmas, maybe ThxGiving if the snow falls on schedule.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 9-11-08 19:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mobsta007, last I checked (yesterday) the village had received a nice coating - though not enough for any kind of base yet.

I've read that Whistler's opening may not be brought forward as much, if at all, compared to recent years. Not necessarily for reasons of the white stuff, but rather the because of Fortress' tighter rein on Intrawest, the management are not so keen on opening weeks ahead of schedule. A week early is rumoured, but almost definitely no sooner. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy