Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees vs Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have just become a member of the forum - bitter/sweet as it's a great site but tends to remind you that you should be skiing not computing.

I've looked through the archives and I haven't managed to find any direct comparison between French Alps and Pyrenees. The Americans can't seem to get enough of their 'East/West' analysis.

Is it that there is no discernible difference?

My motive is that I have only ever skied in the Alps and though very happy thank you, my French step-mother is steering the family towards the Pyrenees. Should I resist?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
damburton, I can't comment on the Pyrenees but welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
damburton, welcome to snowHead

I cannot comment from personal experience, but was seriously looking into trying a long weekend to one of the Pyrenees resorts this year. Take a look under user facilities and try searching as there has been some discussion on the Pyrenees before, and I recall an excellent link on one post to a web-site listing all of them on an interactive map with good info on each of them.

My main motivation was that it was cheaper in terms of DIY budget flights destinations and lift passes than elsewhere and would have allowed a few extra days on the slopes on my annual ski budget. In addition, the majority of the resorts look unspoiled which wins big-time over purpose built in my opinion.

What was not in their favour was relatively longer transfers (quoted time - so I am guessing slower roads?) than the alternatives and the fact that I really struggled to find any internet links to find accommodation for a long weekend there. I was strongly leaning towards Bareges/La Mongie as it appears to have some good skiing. My impression was that the Pyrenees has had a pretty good snow record in recent years, but can really suffer from closures due to wind if various reviews on other ski web-sites are to be believed - something I wasn't happy to gamble with on with a long weekend either.

Good luck and remember to post a full report here if you do go, because I still want to try one of these resorts out sometime.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there damburton, relatively new myself. I'm off to the Pyrenees tomorrow so can post an up-to-date report when I return next week. I've skied three or four times over there, mainly in the Font Romeu area and largely on the French side.

Compared to the big Alpine resorts, you simply don't have the range of skiing; at least not in the areas I've been to. A decent intermediate will cover somewhere like Font Romeu/ Pyrenees 2000 in a morning. There are very few of those long verticals. However, they do offer a great opportunity to work on technique, if you need it...

What has been great is the opportunity to ski to a few different resorts over the course of a few days. Last time I was there we managed to do FR, Puigmal (excellent, undeveloped ski area - very rugged), Formigueres (some great tree runs) and Les Angles (much more Alpine)- one day in each, and all within 40 mins drive. During the week they are beautifully quiet (as long as it's not half-term) and, in my experience, have been far more snow-sure than the alps, certainly in January. Last year I also managed to ski an April morning (in a blizzard) and be in a beachfront bar in Sitges by 7pm that evening. Not many places you can do that...

We've flown into both Barcelona and Perpignan. The B'lona transfer is much longer(2hr 30), but an amazing drive up past Montserrat and through the Tunel de Cadi. Perpignan is quicker (1hr 15) but just a straight mountain climb. Lift passes are dirt cheap (20€ a day). I've never had to look for accommodation, but I know there are quite afew ex-pat Brits running b n b's out there. I've found it to be great for a cheap weekend, but if you're used to alpine range of skiing and facilities, and are expecting similar, I'd imagine you'll be a little underwhelmed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks agavin and rainman.

Thanks for the feedback - it ties in with my research/expectations i.e. Pyrenees is cheaper and less developed (for better and worse), runs are generally shorter.

Good to hear about the cost of lift passes and the relatively easy transfer between villages. Also surprised that the Pyrenees can be more snowsure. Agavin, I agree that internet info on Pyrenees isn't as forthcoming as that on the Alps, which is the main reason why I'm relying on you guys.

In terms of skiing, I'm not necessarily sold on mega areas like Espace Killy or Portes Soleil - as I've found, that much choice is beneficial if there are diverse conditions, but if conditions are equal and I am skiing pisted runs I am happy to find a good one and stick on it for a while. On that note, rainman: do you know what are the off-piste and guided opportunites like?

Anyway, thanks both for replying. Much appreciated. Rainman, have an awesome week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had no experience of the off-piste in the areas I've skied - but I know that somewhere like Font Romeu is a big area for Ski Randonee, so assume that there must be a good number of guides in the area. A couple of ESF guys I chatted to last year had spent their early years teaching in big Alpine resorts, but had moved to the French Pyrenees to bring up their families as it tends to offer a better year-round life for them - they had nothing but good things to say about the off-piste. Again, you're not going to get the same verticals, or the range of couloirs if that's your thing, but there's certainly some pretty rugged stuff to be had at the likes of Puigmal and Formigueres.

cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, and in many ways, I preferred my 2 trips in the mid 1990's to Bareges/la Mongie, than the times I have been to the Alps. The ski-ing was excellent, loads of tree lined routes that were beautifully to look at and then the high stuff above Super Bareges which was ident ( and as beautiful as anywhere I have been) to the Mossettes run in Avoriaz. Very cheap, the French opened their arms to us, and only an hour and a bit from Lourdes - real rural France, unspoilt by the money making psyche of many French resorts in the Alps.
The second year, in February, was a bit short on snow though - thats where I have my doubts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Arinsal in Andorra - limited, more for beginners and intermediates and this year to La Molina on the Spanish side which is near the rainman mentioned Puigmal and Font Romeu. I really liked it there, good snow, lots of treeline skiing, people very friendly and cheap. It is also the closest resort to Barcelona so can get busy at weekends but I found the queues very tolerable compared to some Alpine resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i grew up skiing the Pyrénées. they are great mountains for all levels... my sister and husband go up there every weekend especially to Andorra in the past two years as their infrasructure has really improved. Snow has been more consistant than in the Alps. The last time I was there we had more snow for the week I spent there than the fallowing week in the 3 vallées.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
can confirm that Les Angles is a good sized resort with a decent town, great leisure centre and is well covered withcannons incase mother nature doesn't provide enough. If you are an intermediate then its excellent.

If you want to find ur feet somewhere quiet then try a morning at la llagonne which is a hill with no more than 3 runs served by a drag. THE friendliest place in France i've been to ski-wise and a day ticket of £6 when we last stopped by in December one year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pyrennes V Alps - away win Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi
just got back from 9 days in peyragudes..plenty of pistes and friendly locals.....enjoyed it as much as belle plagne last year, and it was much cheaper. 1p per person each way stanstead to pau with ryanair, then 1 1/2 hr drive to the resort
recommended Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Is it that there is no discernible difference?

If we're talking Andorra c.f French Alps, then there is most definately a discernable difference.

1) Pyrenees are a slog to get to from the UK. Of course there are alpine resorts that are a slog to get to, but in France there ARE a number of good resorts within coo-ee of Swiss/French airport gateways. Ain't nothing in Andorra within 1hr of a usable airport.

2) Price of Andorran accomodation, rental, & lift has risen in the last few years to become comparable with equivalent Alpine resorts. So it's not value for money any more. That's what Bulgaria's for.

Slog and price, however, normally yeilds a skiing holiday experience on par with middle-sized Alpine resorts for quality of snow and village.

a) Andorra's miniscule piste network problem dropped away when Soldeu/El Tarter linked up with neighbouring resorts to create a new mega resort which completes favourably with the Alps in terms of number and length of pistes, lift quality/capacity, and artificial snow coverage. Which is fine if you are staying only within the network. And don't expect a week of particularly challenging slopes...

b) Ski schools in Andorra are roundly praised as being better because of their Anglo-friendly instructors and competitive prices.

c) Spanish and French co-exists along with "native" Andorran culture so there's a wider range of culture/language/gastronomy.

d) Um...duty-free goods, including alcohol? Can't get that in the Alps...

Quote:

My motive is that I have only ever skied in the Alps and though very happy thank you, my French step-mother is steering the family towards the Pyrenees. Should I resist?

No. As a dedicated Alpine skiier you're not likely to feel ripped off by Andorra, so long as you're not wanting Mt Blanc-type slope challenges all week long. In fact a "family" would love Andorra. It's certainly worth a look in, then you can judge for yourself.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never mind Alps v Pyrennes what about the Apennines in Italy, 4 metres of snow recorded in resort there! See this link for details http://www.skiinfo.com/destinations/detail.jsp?product.skiinfo.DESTID=EITCAMPOIMP&product.skiinfo.TABID=2 snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in the Pyrennes over Christmas (Soldeu in Andorra to be exact). It was fantastic. The locals are very friendly (as I understand the people in the French Pyrennes are too). OK, there may not be black run after black run, but there are a number of good challenges to be had in the GrandValira area. Certainly in the GrandValira area also, there is a high quality lift system with plenty of six-man chairs and quads (mostly detachable), it really blows away what most Italian resorts have got. There was also a huge snowmaking system covering a vast amount of the main runs. Some areas are quite large encompassing a number of villages which is great! The ski school are fantastic (not that I used it - other family members did), having a native English speaker was really helpful they said. They have the largest number of native English speakers on their staff than any ski school outside of North America (mainly Brits and Aussies/Kiwis). There really is something for everyone. Apres-ski was fairly good as well (and relatively cheap compared to large resorts in the Alps). Prices have risen over the last few years, and rightly so, with all the improvements put in over that period you certainly get value for money.

So far, it's the only resort that I'd consider going back to other than Serre Chavalier (and SC is only because I learnt there, so didn't see most of the mountain!). That's not because I don't like the other resorts I've been to, just that I like to ski somewhere different every-time I go. To be fair, it was a far superior resort to the ones I've been to in Italy, and at least on a par with a few French resorts. Not sure how other resorts in the Pyrennes shape up, but GrandValira is well worth a visit. And if you don't like it, as someone else said, you can still stock up on booze!
latest report
skisimon, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
Peter Ross, don't tell everyone, that's my local resort! wink Same last year as well, who needs the alps. NehNeh Only trouble is you can ski it in a day.
latest report
Thanks Ian, seems to be a bit more going on here than a few other similar sites.
latest report
Grimsby Ranger, Still it's a fair amount of snow, is that resort far from Rome? when does the season go until? Does it get busy?
ski holidays
Peter Ross, to be honest I haven't actually skied it yet. I've toured the area in the summer and visited some of the resorts to get a feel. The locals were raving about the conditions last year and it looks like this year has been similar so far. There are around 20 resorts in the area ranging from 1 or 2 lifts and 2 or 3 runs to Roccaraso which has about 50-60km of piste. They can all be reached from Rome in between 1 to 2 hrs if conditions are OK, Pescara airport is another option. Little is known about the skiing area outside of Italy, it may pick up in years to come but most of it is in National Park areas so expansion may be difficult. The season is from mid/late December to March sometime depending on conditions which can be more changeable than the Alps as it's further south and not as high. I think the crowds are pretty good except for the odd popular weekend. I think quite a bit of off piste is available talking to the locals with the lifts positioned Ok for their access. The Roccaraso website is www.roccaraso.net it's a bit basic but gives you a feel, you can also practice your Italiano when trying to understand it Little Angel
snow conditions
Grimsby Ranger, interesting, thanks for the info.
snow report
Had a few days last week in the Pyrenees Orientales end of the French Pyrenees. A couple of days in Font Romeu, plus half a day in Porte Puymorens. Considering they'd had no snow for the best part of two weeks, it was in fantastic condition - the benefit, I'd guess, of quiet resorts and extensive snowmaking. The slopes can, however, get (relatively) busy on weekends due to the Spanish influx.

Passes were around €25 for the day at Font Romeu. Some lovely groomed blacks - empty and ideal for perfecting technique, but probably rated as reds in most other places I've skiied. The longest run at FR probably only takes 5 minutes top to bottom, but with the link to Pyrenees 2000, there's plenty of fun to be had. Quite a few drag lifts still, but also a couple of high speed chairs. The south facing slopes get a little heavy in the afternoon sun. All in all, fun for a weekend but probably best suited to young families or beginners. The drive from Perpignan is about 1hr 30, and we got flights for £44 for two adults, one child and one baby. And you can't argue with that. Ryanair's new baggage policy is another matter... Crying or Very sad

Porte Puymorens was a great day out - empty slopes, perfect sun, lots of off piste to be had. After a fresh dump i'd imagine it's superb; including some frankly terrifying, looking (lift accessible) couloirs, and a couple of genuinely challenging, unpisted blacks. Pass was €25 a day. It's basically the other side of the ridge from Pas De La Casa in Andorra. Not somewhere you'd spend a whole week, but with Pas, Molina, Puigmal, FR all within a 30min drive, there's no need to. One for a quick, cheap weekend away?
latest report
We have 4 kids and live just outside Perpignan. We came here for the Beach/Ski life and have not been disappointed

The upsides for sking here v's the Alps:
1. Cheap and fast to get to - the Languedoc is the best served area for flights from the UK in france. I have 7 airports all under 2 hours and cheap if you book at the right times. In the midi- pyrenees there is Pau (Ryan air call it their Ski Pyrenees destination, there is also Tarbes another 30 mins away. Beware of Pau in winter as Ryan Air hit you , not surprisingly with seasonal fares. Perpignan or Girona (a main Ryanair hub offering 3 flight daily from Stanstead) 1 hr from Perpignan tend to be low cost in the winter).
2. Choice - I have 9 ski resorts at under 2 hours drive from the door (I know my way around) Pot shots of 3
Font Romeu - 54kms of piste and whilst I am no more than a very game intermediate I bomb the blacks - They have some steepness but many Alpine reds would give you more to think about.
Les Angles - all round better for intermediates, with a good blend of reds.
Puigmal - I was there on Sunday 30/11/08 very high, very beautiful lots of trees and stunning views across the cerdagne snow was fantastic and has been for 3 weeks apparently. Some good reds and blues one is 9km (I thought it was shorter than this.)

http://www.lespyrenees.net/en/index.php this a site that covers the french resorts in some detail and gives links to theor own sites.

You can buy the Catalan Niege pass - take accommodation (try Saillagouse) in the cerdagne plateau and a low cost car hire and drive to any of the nine, which can all be skied on this pass or just buy day-to-day passes. None of them are more than 30 mins from the middle of the cerdagne.

There is lots of piste on both sides and it's good. The weather is usually fantastic, like spring skiing in April anywhere in the Alps all through the season. All resorts have massive snow making capability.

The spanish pyrenees especially the Aragon resorts have much more challenging skiing than the french side - lots of top end blacks, but ski passes are 5 -8 euros a day more. Don't know about transport links, but we can get to La Molina in under two hours.

Most Pyrenees resorts are perfect for families (the little ones just don't get so cold) and beginners/intermediates who don't want Chamonix mogul type, death defying madness.

Favourite Quote on Andorra "It's like an 18th century battlefield, bodies lying all over the place.....awash in primary colours"

Some tips:

If you are flying in to the French pyrenees and anticipate hiring your gear - you can hire at a Decathlon on the way up for much less. We hire the childrens boots for the whole season every year. Last season was 35euros each. A week ski/boot hire was about 35/40 euros I think. You do need to leave a French cheque (which they return) as a deposit. Perhaps you can do a deal with who you get your accommodation from. see

http://www.decathlon.fr/FR/files/assets/32035795-sitelocation/index.html

Booking through Ryanair or others- don't assume that booking returns is the cheapest - I go back/forward all the time and booking single can often save. Pau rarely offers cheap flights at this time of year, so think about low-cost car hire - Hertz always the cheapest and give yourself flexibility Biarritz, Girona, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Bezier. These all offer transport time to resorts of under 2.5 hours and as little as 1.5. I'm sick of 3 hr coach transfers that I could drive in an hour less to Alpine resorts.

Our local resorts all offer for an extra 1 euro on your daily pass hot spa bathing at St Thomas le Bain (20 mins drive from Font Romeu) we go all the time and it's superb after a day on the piste. see. http://www.countrycousins.co.uk/bainstth.htm and click on the photo links at the bottom of the page. Even if you forget to ask when you buy your pass, it's only 14 euros for a family ticket. They have bubble baths and steams rooms for 8 euros extra.

Being in resort especially when the 2nd biggest resort is Font Romeu at only 54km of piste will be costly, so think about easy access to many resorts and get a real variety of skiing from your accommodation base.

Downsides:
If you want to be challenged only the Aragon (Spanish) resorts are likely to do this. (easiet drive is from Pau)
Packaged ski holidays are as pricey as Alpine resorts so probably those who really want serious skiing and good nightlife (excepting Andorra) are better off sticking with the Alps and getting better value.
Passes can be more expensive and less special offers are available

What we do - day ski locally, but always take a family school holiday to the Alps - last year Morzine (expensive washout)

So now we will stick to the Southern, Haut Provencal Alps and are going to the glacial Ecrin national Park - Orcieres but then that only takes 4hrs drive - maybe this offers the best of both as the deals direct are fantastic.
snow report
macwad, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead Very useful first post - I have long wanted to offer the Pyrenees as a lower-cost alternative to the Alps, for families and less experiences skiers, but my ex-boss wouldn't entertain the idea (bit of Alps snobbery I think...) However, now that I am in charge ..... Very Happy

Enjoy Snow Heads - we have a few others on the more Spanish/Andorran side, who have been sending us gorgeous pics Very Happy
snow conditions
I have always had great fun in Andorra and the late season snow has been incredible. Grandvalira and Vallnord are very high so get good coverage, especially around the spring equinox.

It does lack the really long runs, but then that is because the resorts are high. The upside is you can always ski back and no late afternoon queues for the lift back down to your resort.

Beer... never more than €4 a pint and half that if you in a happy hour.

Ryanair have just started flying to Lourdes, 1 hour away.

Even the busiest times are quiet compared to the 3V.

Me? I'm doing the Alps and Grandvalira this season Very Happy
latest report
My second ever trip was a long weekend in Font Romeu. Really enjoyed it, would like to head back that way sometime and tour around a few of the resorts.
snow report
I was under the impression the Pyrenees suffered from a lack of snow/high temperatures last season. I remember seeing a lot of sorry looking pictures of a lack of snow last season.

That is the main reason why I would be reluctant to ski in the Pyrenees.
snow conditions
These pictures were taken 1st April 2008, mid afternoon in PDLC. Snow down to well below resort level and 400mm of powder off piste. You will notice how busy it is for mid afternoon Shocked

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied at Cauterest years ago - good pistes, very pretty village, short transfer from Tarbes.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
I skied at Cauterest years ago - good pistes, very pretty village, short transfer from Tarbes.
Cauterets is one of the resorts I went with to offer, mainly because of the good snow record and short transfers. The village looks lovely, in a Chamonix-type of way! Thermal baths and spa centres too
snow report
It was 2006/07 that was known as the year of the mud in the Eastern pyrenees. The awful sight of strips of white cannon made snow piste snaking through mud/grass/rock landscape were all too common a site.

We got off to a superb start last season with a huge dump in the second week of December . We actually took the kids up for a pre-season scouting trip on that very morning. It came from no where and hadn't really been forecast. It was nearly 2ft deep.

It struggled a bit through January and recovered in february. In fact it was better snow locally when us suckers went to Morzine for what my wife determined would be a true white out ski holiday. As I said, last sludge was hanging on in Morzine there for the first two days, then it rained heavily for the next 3. They even cut the access to the legendary snow sure Avoriaz.

Late season was awesome in the Pyrenees as the pictures prove and I can confirm a superb day near the end of April at Les Angles. Most of the bigger resorts extended the season. Check out the Les Angles web cam to see how much snow we have right now. www.les-angles.com

The reality is that snow sureness mainly depends on height and Morzine had to develop Avoriaz at 1850, because Morzine is only at 1400. We always go high now, yes no big drops can be a consequence, but sure snow and that's the key lesson the Pyrenees resorts are developed on.
ski holidays
Anniepen,

Annie

I have a lot of contacts here and will be launching a new website and hoping to develop all year round holiday offers in time. If you want to collaborate more than happy to see if there is synergy. This is not only great skiing and mountain country, but superb rugby, wine, seaside and cycling country. Don't Forget Font Romeu is also a destination for top athletes - It's where paula radcliffe lives/trains much of the year.
ski holidays
Hope it kicks off Mac. Catalunya in the summer is a great place.
ski holidays
Hoppo wrote:

Hoppo haven't seen you around here too much lately.....did you miss skisimon's other 2200 odd posts..... Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
Hoppo wrote:

Hoppo haven't seen you around here too much lately.....did you miss skisimon's other 2200 odd posts..... Toofy Grin wink

That was a welcome dating back to January 2006! This is an old thread, rejuvenated! Very Happy
ski holidays
Anniepen wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Hoppo wrote:

That was a welcome dating back to January 2006! This is an old thread, rejuvenated! Very Happy

Ooops Embarassed

Sorry Hoppo.....retreats eating humble pie
ski holidays
Wasn't Cauterets featured on No Going Back ? A couple who set up three chalets in the French Pyrenees. Looked a lovely place but as a few have said - its a long transfer for the majority.
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, It was indeed.

I went there 2 summers again. We got the brand new gondola upto the ski area. You couldn't ski down to the resort, which I genreally dislike in a ski resort. It was a lovely town though and rather beautiful. The ski area was also too small for my liking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy