Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive from Munich Airport to the South Tyrol

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Doing the drive during the day on Saturday and I'm aware from previous trips and looking at the traffic reports recently that the route from Munich to the Brenner, whether on the autobahn via Rosenheim or on the road via Garmisch can be heavily congested. Looking at the map, I'm temped to start off on the Garmisch route but then instead of going through the town take what looks like a shortcut through Kochel and Krün, rejoining the main road just north of Mittenwald.
I wondered if anyone had tried this 'shortcut' and would recommend it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pjd, if you want to take the route through Kochel and Krün then do come off the A95 at the Murnau/Kochel turn off and take the route up to Walchensee. It is a fabulous route on a good day, but the climb from Kochel up to the top of the pass can be awful in bad weather. The Kesselbergstrasse is simply breath-taking when the weather is clear, so do stop off if you get the chance to look back across Kochelsee and the Alpine Foreland. Sometimes you can see as far as Munich on Föhn days in winter, it is stunning to say the least.

The road follows Walchensee's western shore line and is absolutely one of my favourite areas when there is no traffic. Sadly in summer it gets clogged with wind and kite surfers with all their motorhome paraphernalia. I have dived in the lake many many times, but these days it is nigh on impossible to get to any of the shore side parking spaces because of the surfer type "traveller" camps! Trying to negotiate masts wings boards and sails simply strewn across the rocky access to dry is too dangerous when you are carrying about 75lbs of extra weight in the form of tanks lamps and weight belts! Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad

The B11 narrows in some places to almost single track as it descends to Wallgau but after that it is fine.

If the weather is bad then I don't see you having too many problems getting past Garmisch on the standard route if you are driving after say 10.30/11.00am. Most of the day skiers will have already got to GAP so the bottleneck at the end of the A95 between Eschenlohe and Oberau/Farchant should not be too slow. The tunnel then takes you round to the B2 avoiding having to go through GAP at all. The Partchenkirchen section you do have to negotiate is easy to do and is 2-lanes for most of the route through the urban area.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Samerberg Sue, thanks very much for that helpful reply.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy