Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tip protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

Just bought my first set of skis and am using them right now in Mayrhofen. All is well except that I had totally overlooked any need for protecting the tips. Even after one day I can tell they'll get a hammering. Plus looking around I see virtually everyone has some form of protection, either metal, plastic or rubber.

My question is how do I go about getting some, and getting them to fit. Do ski shops sell them? I've literally never seen them on sale.

Blizzard latigo BTW.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Swarfega, hi, a lot of skis don't come with them, Line, Whitedot, K2 to name a few and of course the Latigo. its always annoying with new skis how quickly the look used, when your skiing hard Toofy Grin

You don't need them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I did wonder whether I had overlooked something. Ok I don't need them but is it beyond possibility to get some? Surely there's a need for them as plenty of manufacturers wouldn't fit them otherwise?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
even if you could buy some they probably won't fit your ski's, they aren't a standard size, you could use Sugru if you wanted some bumpers, www.sugru.com, I confess to being a Sugru addict.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, haha! I too have been know to Sugru tips - albeit more by way of cosmetic repair rather than protection.
The red perfectly matches my Atomic Theory's Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it always struck me that its the hire skis that have the rubbery tip protectors, as the privately owned ones of the same model often don't (unless the're ex-hire).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JonA wrote:
it always struck me that its the hire skis that have the rubbery tip protectors, as the privately owned ones of the same model often don't (unless the're ex-hire).

Could be on to something there. My BBRs are the rental/demo specific version and they come with a white tip protector and toughened top sheet that you don't get on the normal consumer version. Tip protector look a little naff but toughened top sheet is create for French lift queues
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
manufacturers often make rental specific versions of a normal ski, and these will probably be made cheaper and tougher in various ways. I suspect your best chance of finding tip protectors for your skis would be to ask in a resort hire shop rather than a normal retailer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JonA, @Posidrive, the insides are often quite different as well (cheaper and not as good).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're tools, not jewels.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
They're tools, not jewels.

Exactly!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're having trouble getting the tip protectors in time for your ski trip and really don't want them marking up ... skiing backwards might help
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@JonA, @Posidrive, the insides are often quite different as well (cheaper and not as good).

Not disputing possible inside knowledge but this would be madness on higher end skis. Surely you want a demo ski to perform as well as possible to help sell it ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Posidrive, there's a difference between a rental ski and a demo ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Swarfega, adding tip protectors to a Latigo is like wearing sunnies with a helmet Toofy Grin
snow report
Swarfega wrote:
Hi.

Just bought my first set of skis and am using them right now

Multi tasking! Sorry, just jealous your skiing and I'm not. snowHead
snow report
@Posidrive, demo skis? Yes, you are quite right, as far s I know, exactly the same.

High end rentals? No. Same or similar graphics, not necessarily the same ski at all.
snow report
I have the same problem with my Vantage 90 CTI skis so I've bought some rubber U channel edge trim. It's not something you need but aesthetically will help protect the tips as they do seem to get hammered when going off piste. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Swarfega, let them "get a hammering". Like the topsheet (to some extent), some damage is not going to affect the skis. it's the bases and edges that you need to take care of

Besides, you'll probably find they don't actually get damaged. My GS skis don't have any tip deflectors but I've never had a problem and they get about 50/60 days out in the winter
snow report
As others have mentioned, not really needed, but if you are that precious about your skis, there are plenty of options using glue on u-channel plastic or rubber, you could even colour match. A bit of contact adhesive and jobs a good-un Very Happy

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rubber+u-channel&biw=1268&bih=709&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMlJejy4jSAhWlI8AKHSnLCigQ_AUIBygC
latest report
Demo skis=retail skis bought at a higher discount from the manufacturer + rental bindings, they need to perform the same as what the customer is buying......
ski holidays
As for tip protectors, only my piste skis have them, the rest just get a "bit" battered.......
latest report
Keep your skis left and right so at least only the inside of the tips gets battered.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy