Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - what's the resort like.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, I'm new like this forum, so first of all hello snow lovers Very Happy.

I'm planning our families next ski trip, I want to go to Alpe-d-Huez but the wife wants to go Avoriaz. After looking into it Avoriaz looks fantastic for the kids, a resort that really caters for the little ones.

Has any of you been to Avoriaz and is it any good for the family?

Thanks in advance Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied over to Avoriaz from Chatel 2 weeks ago . It's the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen! rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh really, I looked on you tube and it doesn't seem that bad.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@harriri2000, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Avoriaz is very good for families with great nursery slopes, traffic free, compact ..... It's not your typical alpine ski village but I understand the design is meant to reflect the cragginess of the terrain and - from a distance - it does but up close, it's not pretty. Alpe d'Huez would be a good choice too though - when are you thinking of?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 3-03-16 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz is very good for family, very good for the associated adults and, I think, rather attractive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@harriri2000,

Not sure about kids ski school or kids activities but I'll give my view on the skiing and resort.

The place is not super pretty but far from terrible and is convenient for skiing. It would not be so good in bad weather due to its' height. There are a mixture are easier and harder runs nearby. If you're intending to put kids in ski school and pick up after lunch for example you may struggle to get to the far reaches of the Portes du Soleil and back in time. The connections are reasonable (if not all fast) so getting around is ok otherwise. Travelling to Les Gets ski area or across Morgins (or to the smaller separate areas) would be the only more difficult sections since the new chair lift in Chatel. There is a snow park above Avoriaz on one side and also the tree runs (with natural park features) on the other side which the kids may like depending on age/ability. It's a nice area and a day ski pass can be got for a sale price online (weekly deals).

Alpe d'Huez is also a nice area. It has a number of satellites which I think may be nice for children plus the main village. I enjoyed some excellent activities at the sports centre over this Christmas and there were many focussed at kids. Ask if you're interested in details. For a weeks' skiing many people would not require more slopes than those offered here so although Portes du Soleil is larger it probably makes no difference in your case. For transfer try to go to/from Grenoble.

The transfer may be a little easier for Avoriaz but the difference is probably not great.

For the resort plus ski area I'd recommend both and disagree with anyone who said different. As I say I can't comment on some of the other kids specific things so maybe someone else will post something on their experience.

Update:

If the kids are beginners then Alpe d'Huez has a (cheaper) beginner pass and arguably some of the best green run terrain in the Alps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RWDLYN wrote:
Skied over to Avoriaz from Chatel 2 weeks ago . It's the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen! rolling eyes

Avoriaz is quite a polarizing ski resort. I don't think that it's ugly at all. Quite nice actually :-/

One thing can be said for sure. It's architecture is quite different to the norm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Millom,

A. Struggling with non fast connections out of Avoriaz. Pretty sure all chairs are now TSD.

B. Marginal transfer time difference vs AdH? Really?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Millom wrote:
@harriri2000,

Not sure about kids ski school or kids activities but I'll give my view on the skiing and resort.

The place is not super pretty but far from terrible and is convenient for skiing. It would not be so good in bad weather due to its' height. There are a mixture are easier and harder runs nearby. If you're intending to put kids in ski school and pick up after lunch for example you may struggle to get to the far reaches of the Portes du Soleil and back in time. The connections are reasonable (if not all fast) so getting around is ok otherwise. Travelling to Les Gets ski area or across Morgins (or to the smaller separate areas) would be the only more difficult sections since the new chair lift in Chatel. There is a snow park above Avoriaz on one side and also the tree runs (with natural park features) on the other side which the kids may like depending on age/ability. It's a nice area and a day ski pass can be got for a sale price online (weekly deals).

Alpe d'Huez is also a nice area. It has a number of satellites which I think may be nice for children plus the main village. I enjoyed some excellent activities at the sports centre over this Christmas and there were many focussed at kids. Ask if you're interested in details. For a weeks' skiing many people would not require more slopes than those offered here so although Portes du Soleil is larger it probably makes no difference in your case. For transfer try to go to/from Grenoble.

The transfer may be a little easier for Avoriaz but the difference is probably not great.

For the resort plus ski area I'd recommend both and disagree with anyone who said different. As I say I can't comment on some of the other kids specific things so maybe someone else will post something on their experience.

Update:

If the kids are beginners then Alpe d'Huez has a (cheaper) beginner pass and arguably some of the best green run terrain in the Alps.

Thank you so much for that insight Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Montana"]@harriri2000, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Avoriaz is very good for families with great nursery slopes, traffic free, compact ..... It's not your typical alpine ski village but I understand the design is meant to reflect the cragginess of the terrain and - from a distance - it does but up close, it's not pretty. Alpe d'Huez would be a good choice too though - when are you thinking of?[/QUOTE

Hi thanks, We are looking at going beginning of February probably sCM Security protects your privacyomewhere nears the 4th
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our kids love Avoriaz, most Saturdays and Sundays they hit the Chapelle park, The Stash, The Canyon Schott, the smaller half pipe, then over to the happy park in Les Crossets or across to Happy Valley via Lindarets.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,

A. I was referring to the area in general not just the Avoriaz bowl so I believe my statement accurate.
B. Out of curiosity just checked and actually although motorway distances are similar Alpe d'Huez from Grenoble comes up as a little quicker than Geneva to Avoriaz.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@harriri2000, you have a PM (top right, Send/Read messages)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi harriri2000

Of the two resorts, I preferred Alpe D H when mine were little, but then its a long time ago (early noughties). Having been to Avoriaz again (skiing in Morzine was cancelled due to lack of snow lol) in 2014 its still a resort, which after a number of visits, I don`t like. It terrified me with small children in tow because a lot of the 'easy' runs above the resort are narrow often with big drops at one or both sides (and I won`t go into the issues here that I had with the ski school as its all too long ago). ADH did not seem anything like as bad for narrow runs with scary drops, and I remember feeling more secure about the slopes for our then small boys. But I have not skied there much and not at all for a decade or so. I guess it depends upon weather you will be skiing with your children yourself at least some of the time and the ages of your children. I think the basic nursery areas would be fine at either resort.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Millom, nope, pretty much all links fast these days. When were you last there?

B. Sorry, hadn't thought of anywhere else but GVA but why would I?
ski holidays
Avoriaz is convenient, cheapish, fairly snowsure and with reasonable ski terrain.

But it is one of the ugliest resorts on planet Earth.
latest report
@Whitegold, Benidorm.
snow conditions
Loved Avoriaz when we were there. Lots of accommodation is ski in, ski out. Very good ski area. Nice swimming pool in town and snow sure resort.
snow report
@under a new name, was there maybe year before last. Only change I believe is the new Chatel link lift.
There were some slow lifts still around, better than some places worse than others. Probably comparable to Alpe d'huez so not critical for OP.

@harriri2000, 4th Feb is French hols for Paris next year so also note both resorts could be pricey and busy.
snow conditions
@Millom, I'm still trying to reconcile this whole "slow" links thing against anywahere else I've been (in Western Europe).

Out of Avoriaz you have fast chairs in every direction. I can't think of a slow chair out that isn't avoidable if it even still exists.

In addition to the new Chatel links, there are several chair replacements...
snow report
I enjoyed the skiing in ADH especially La Sarene and the Tunnel, but the resort is sprawling ( compared with Avoriaz ), full of cars and trucks, and was not ski-in ski-out. Unfortunately the ski area is lots smaller than PdS so had done a lot of it in 3 days. But there was good snow on the glacier - which was nice. Personally I would choose Avoriaz every time, but I understand why a glacier is more important to some people than ski-in ski out, or car free.
ski holidays
@under a new name, you're right there appear to be a few other upgrades but its still reasonable to say the resorts are comparable in this respect.

If the OP is interested they can check out these links or similar for more info:

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Avoriaz/
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-portes-du-soleil-morzineavoriazles-getschatelmorginschampery/ski-lifts/

To be fair I have said 'connections not all fast' and 'some slow lifts' which is probably still correct for some areas of the main Portes du Soleil network.

On wtss both score 4/5 on lifts (I wouldn't count this book as super reliable but gives a ballpark for the OP).

For the Morgins part this is 3/5 http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Morgins/, 2/5 for Chatel http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Chatel/, and for Champery 1/5 http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Champery/ if we consider the wider Avoriaz connected area.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-03-16 10:38; edited 4 times in total
latest report
@windofchange, in Alpe d'Huez you can walk one end to the other in 5-10mins. There is also a good free bus service. Parking if required would be free rather than cost and possible next to lifts. Not full of trucks the times I've been there. Size is similar than connected PdS area from Avoriaz to Morgins/Linga and more than enough for most people for 6+ days skiing. These should not be critical factors for OP. Do they want SC or hotel, ski in/out, car free, certain non ski facilities, beginner pistes, cheaper passes/free lifts, recommended ski school, restaurants etc. are perhaps more important?? The OP hasn't specified though. From what we know both resorts would potentially fit very well. I find your post misleading and bias for whatever reason. The glacier and black runs are far from the only good things about the resort.
snow report
ADH has good skiing for the kids and the fact that once you are on the lift you can get all around the ski areas and be back for lunch means it has a lot to commend it. Of the resorts I've been to I think La Plagne would suit your needs well also.
snow conditions
Both resorts are good for young families.

If you're going early Feb hopefully snow conditions shouldn't be a problem at either. Sounds like you'll be avoiding UK half term but if you're flexible on dates its also worth checking when the French school holidays are and avoiding those if possible. (there's normally a thread on here which gives the dates)

Avoriaz is traffic free and has a short transfer from Geneva. It has an "interesting" architecture which seems to divide opinion. Sort of wooden high-rises with an almost gothic look. Not to everyones taste but personally I prefer it to the concrete blocks you sometimes get. PDS is a large ski area but quite spread out.

What sort of accommodation are you thinking of? I think Avoriaz is mainly self catering apartments so if you prefer a hotel or chalet there might be more choice in Alpe d'huez.

If in doubt go to one this time and the other the next! Very Happy
snow conditions
@caravanskier, in Avoriaz the Super Morzine section is quite good for beginners, away from passing traffic/skiers and enjoyable easy slopes. The blues above Avoriaz and towards Prodains perhaps fit your description a little but are fine for progressing onto later.
snow report
Millom wrote:
@caravanskier, in Avoriaz the Super Morzine section is quite good for beginners, away from passing traffic/skiers and enjoyable easy slopes. The blues above Avoriaz and towards Prodains perhaps fit your description a little but are fine for progressing onto later.

Yes agreed, these are great runs for beginners. The Zors runs in this section are particularly good. This section is below the resort and tree-lined so also good in bad weather.
snow conditions
@Millom, I have no bias against either resort, I speak from my experience of the place, based on a week chalet holiday, and also as a transfer driver having done 6 transfers there.
On my transfers I got stuck variously behind a snow plow on 2 occasions, a local bus, tourist busses. And then on the smaller roads of the one way system, a bin lorry, a dray delivering to a bar, and a van picking up skis from a ski shop.
On the holiday we were accompanied by 4 people who had spent a year in Grenoble from where they skiied in either ADH or L2A most weekends, so knew a lot of the good bits . We had a fair walk uphill from our chalet to the pistes, and we had the impression that we had done most of it by the evening of day 3, but as said enjoyed the glacier skiing, and also the underground bar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

To be fair I have said 'connections not all fast' and 'some slow lifts' which is probably still correct for some areas of the main Portes du Soleil network.

To be fair you are quite right and in your context of getting around the entire (!) PdS area there are definitely some distant parts you wouldn't easily (if at all) get to and back from in the time space of a lesson.
snow conditions
@harriri2000

We have been to Avoriaz half a dozen times in the last twelve years and stayed in self-catered apartments or Club Med. Our (now) teenage children have always loved Avoriaz for a range of reasons but mostly the ski-in, ski-out and huge ski area with its wide range of terrain including the stash and varies snow parks. The have always skied in ESF and found the instructors great fun and willing to take them to interesting places. As a parent, one of the best parts is the lack of cars, from a young age they could go off to the centre of the resort with a toboggan and enjoy themselves after the lifts had stopped. It also has some good bakeries and shops so they would go off to get fresh croissants for breakfast or go to the shops to choose food for dinner.

I did all my childhood skiing in Switzerland and agree that Avoriaz is no Alpine chocolate box but I do feel that the cladding softens it and gives it a far more pleasant and warm feel than many, many other resorts. I never had ski-in, ski-out as a child and I must admit that I absolutely love it along with the lack of cars.

Good luck choosing!
snow report
I've skied the PdS a few times now, always staying in Morzine as I generally prefer a proper village over a purpose-built resort but back in Jan. we did more than the usual lunch time restaurant visit and headed up one evening to (try and) watch the Ice Cross and I have to say I was pleasently suprised. I knew the building look OK (but no more) in passing but it did seem to have more life to it than most constructed resorts.

Would I call it beautiful or picturesque? No.
Would I call it ugly? No.
Do I think RWDLYN who thinks it's "the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen!" should take a visit to some of the Les Arcs and La Plagne resorts to calebrate his ugly index? Yes! Smile

In general I'd say it makes a very good family resort. Some really good non-skiing facilities like the swimming complex ('pool' doesn't quite do it justice), traffic-free streets and fairly compact.
Skiing wise there's plenty for absolute beginners, both the bunny slopes and the huge first blue towards Morzine. After than plenty for intermediates and more advanced skiers too.
latest report
First time in Avoriaz this week. Took a transfer to the top of the resort and got a horse drawn cart to the apartment which was a lovely way to kick off the holiday. Super convenient ski in ski out. I think the resort looks quite nice actually, at least quite spectacular perched on the mountain.
snow report
but would you consider it a masterpiece wink

Seriously though I agree the location is quite nice. How much was the transfer and horse trip?
latest report
What age are the kids? Skiing experience - both yours and kids? If kids are beginners then ADH as they ski in the bowl and when developing can go further afield. It is easy to get back to ski schools at the Ronde De Pistes at ADH from most of the area if you are in Auris, Oz, Vaujany etc. Also seem to recall that there was a limited area pass for ADH for beginners. Also swimming pool and ice rink in centre.

If older/not beginners/not in lessons then Avoriaz as you can ski round the PDS and not be tied to the resort.

I love both ADH & PDS so why not choose one this year and the other the next. My sons - teenagers - want to go back to both.

As for the architecture, look at the mountains and snow not buildings Very Happy
snow report
@Millom, wouldn't go that far Very Happy

Transfer from Geneva was with Skiddy Gonzales. Shared transfer (in no rush) for EUR 230 return. Dropped some people in morzine first after 1.5 hours ish, then another 20 mins up to Avoriaz.

Just waited at the drop off area and horse and carts come along. To the opposite end of the resort was EUR 15, which i thought was pretty reasonable.

I've seen all levels of kids in ski schools around and about everywhere in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
@Millom, only really scratched the surface of PDS, but not experienced any slow lifts apart from a couple at the top from morzine, which strangely come flying through and take your legs out but then take an age to get there
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
I've skied the PdS a few times now, always staying in Morzine as I generally prefer a proper village over a purpose-built resort but back in Jan. we did more than the usual lunch time restaurant visit and headed up one evening to (try and) watch the Ice Cross and I have to say I was pleasently suprised. I knew the building look OK (but no more) in passing but it did seem to have more life to it than most constructed resorts.

Would I call it beautiful or picturesque? No.
Would I call it ugly? No.
Do I think RWDLYN who thinks it's "the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen!" should take a visit to some of the Les Arcs and La Plagne resorts to calebrate his ugly index? Yes! Smile

In general I'd say it makes a very good family resort. Some really good non-skiing facilities like the swimming complex ('pool' doesn't quite do it justice), traffic-free streets and fairly compact.
Skiing wise there's plenty for absolute beginners, both the bunny slopes and the huge first blue towards Morzine. After than plenty for intermediates and more advanced skiers too.
Nah, it's all right ,I'll pass on that, thanks, I prefer the Swiss and Austria look for my hols snowHead
snow report
RWDLYN wrote:

Have a look at Flaine Laughing Laughing

harriri2000 Think about staying in Morzine. A proper town and easy links in to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
Avoriaz seems tailor made to suit families - especially absolute beginners. It's on the snow, and it's all ski-in/out (buses not necessary). There's a central nursery area, and as your expertise and age increases, so you venture throughout the village, eventually orbiting it in ever larger circles until as an expert you circle the entire portes du soleil in a day.

Also, it's relatively secure in that everyone there is 'in Avoriaz' - no through traffic. It's not a town like Chamonix or Zermatt. So, being fairly tightly contained it's a little less easy for anyone to get lost.

It may be car free, but you do still have to watch out for the horse drawn sleighs and caterpillar tracked delivery vehicles.

I'll be introducing my sister and nephew to snowboarding there in April.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
@Millom, wouldn't go that far Very Happy

Just waited at the drop off area and horse and carts come along. To the opposite end of the resort was EUR 15, which i thought was pretty reasonable.

Having read this thread and seen a vid on youtube I was wondering where you got dumped off and how you then got to where you needed to be in the resort with party and luggage in tow. How much will/can the carts take? Do you book them or hail one like a cab for the return trip when leaving?

Otherwise sounds good for families.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy