Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are itinery runs avalanche controlled?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know it's off-piste, but assuming the itinery is open, is it avalanche controlled?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, in the sense that resorts don't want dead guests on a run that's on a map - even if they've printed the standard indemnity.

So they will certainly protect that run from avalanche risk, but at the same time there will be a prominent general warning about the level of avalanche danger. It's unlikely that an itineraire/'ski route' will be significantly more exposed to avalanche risk than any other run - but that statement of indemnity covers the resort's back if something does go wrong.

If a ski patrol hasn't protected an itineraire, they'd probably rope off its entrance. If in doubt, check with the ski patrol.

[Please don't take the above as definitive - it's only based on experience and understanding]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get yourself on some snow profiling course, they're not expensive and you spend the day with a guide skiing around. After you'll be better prepared. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with that, in the sense of going on off-piste tours but it's unrealistic for a typical recreational skier who's boogying around the pistes and maybe taking the occasional run down an itineraire.

One's got to rely on the professional expertise of the ski patrol is assessing whether an itineraire is safe (as far as it's possible to make a reliable judgement), so I'd sooner ask them. They're not responsible for grooming and marking this type of run for hazards, but (as above) I think they will detonate avalanches that threaten them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just shared a chalet with 7 boarders that always try to ski predominantly off-piste. Not an ounce of avalanche awareness/ training, off piste avalanche prevention ettiquette, no probes, shovels, or them beacony thingys. Lovely bunch of lads though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, It's always the good ones who die young...

Mind you, did lot sof stuff I maybe shouldn't have done when I was younger and more stupid.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy