Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ethical issue

Poster: A snowHead
Day 5 in Campiglio, after a full, glorious high mileage day, the last run (Amazonia: Black) home.
A small Bombardino had been drunk, but only one and we were in good form and good spirit.
We (5 of us) began to assemble our various kit to our various feet, and my Missus heads off before the rest of us are even starting to look down the hill.
Mere seconds later my lad shouts "Mums down!" and we see her in the snow some 20m below her skis.

Besides the lessons we have learned regarding checking that a ski binding is actually closed, (I ride a board, I don't understand how a binding can look like its closed, but then unclip), and necessity to get a break screwed back together immediately (2 days later in the UK its too swollen to operate) or even the failure of various Holiday and Health insurance policies to cover Private medical once you hit the UK shores again, I have one over-riding question.

Given that my wife has been told it will take over 12 months to regain normal sporty action again (2 further procedures to follow), WTF do I/we do next season?

1. Go Self catering: after all what else can she do all day? She may as well cook dinner.
2. Suffer the wrath of my kids, and go alone (sH Bash or ?)
3. Take the kids and suffer the wrath of my wife.
4. Take her somewhere sunny Sad

Or do you have another suggestion?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Strax, you book a ski trip, she books a winter sun holiday for the same week, kids decide whether they like Mum or Dad best...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

you book a ski trip, she books a winter sun holiday for the same week, kids decide whether they like Mum or Dad best...

sounds good, but can make it "beach or ski" rather than Mum or Dad. wink There really is no reason why you can't take separate holidays.

You can get a very nice beach holiday for the cost of a ski holiday. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
...sounds good, but can make it "beach or ski" rather than Mum or Dad. wink
But where's the fun in that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to a resort that has a nice spa. Spend her lift pass/rental allowance on the spa.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Spend her lift pass/rental allowance on the spa.

Why is it that so many people think dippy females will be happy being dragged on a ski holiday provided they can go in the wretched spa? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why is it so many people think females are dippy Wink Neh Neh

My work colleague did this, said it was the best ski holiday she ever had!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not an ethical issue. It's a matter of domestic peace. Wink

More pragmatic solution, book a late season ski trip in somewhere that's reasonably snow sure AND have spas. If your wife's recovery goes well, she can ski. If not, she can go to the spa or just sun herself on the deck of chalet. If the snow disappoints, you all can do some hill walking together!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went on a ski holiday two years ago when I couldnt ski for a couple of medical reasons (recovering broken leg still swelling and wouldnt fit ski boot and medical issue which precludes the risk of getting too cold and the trip was in late January). My husband skiied with our friends from the chalet in the morning and I rode the buses and joined him for a jolly lunch each day. I took a long down filled coat and a furry hat and boots and felt quite the "lady who lunches" as I ventured forth to the bus stop. The rest of the time I browsed the shops, read and generally relaxed and in the evenings I enjoyed the company of all of our friends. Its not such a bad option in extremis. I would recommend a resort with good shops and a lovely swimming pool and hopefully your wife could have a good holiday but I do think you need a hotel and you should certainly not suggest that self catering is a good idea so she can cook dinner during her days at home!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or you could discuss the options with her and see what she suggests
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strax wrote:
Given that my wife has been told it will take over 12 months to regain normal sporty action again (2 further procedures to follow), WTF do I/we do next season?

1. Go Self catering: after all what else can she do all day? She may as well cook dinner.
2. Suffer the wrath of my kids, and go alone (sH Bash or ?)
3. Take the kids and suffer the wrath of my wife.
4. Take her somewhere sunny Sad

All four
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go to Tignes there's a south facing part of the leisure centre with a glass roof and sun loungers in. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Or you could discuss the options with her and see what she suggests

now there's a really radical suggestion.... Laughing

"take her somewhere sunny" indeed.... or "spend her lift pass....on the spa"

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I have read of a place somewhere, (Andorra maybe? Sure someone here knows) where you can with a hire car enjoy both. Stay in a seaside villa, then a short drive into the mountains to ski.

Probably not cheap though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thecramps wrote:
I'm sure I have read of a place somewhere, (Andorra maybe? Sure someone here knows) where you can with a hire car enjoy both. Stay in a seaside villa, then a short drive into the mountains to ski.

You can do this in Nice. It's about a 1.5-2hour drive up to Isola or Auron. It's a bit of a mission but as they're mainly used by French weekenders you've almost got your own private ski resort in the week.
snow report
@thecramps, Mt Etna.
snow report
Also, Beirut.
snow conditions
Well, we had a (sort of) similar problem this season, although our children are grown up.

As my wife doesn't ski any more (she's torn each calf muscle skiing, three years between the accidents but she got a DVT both times) we have gone to the Dolomites with Colletts for the previous 3 seasons. I go skiing, she goes snowshoeing etc, everybody's happy. However back in August she tripped off a boat and fell onto a wooden pontoon as we were coming on to a marina, twisting her knee and wrecking her ACL. She had the operation at the beginning of February and is obviously still recovering.
I had all but given up on this season but, at my dear wife's suggestion, we are off to Austria on the 12th March. Hotel Osterreicherhof, Bad Hofgastein - the hotel has its own spa plus a tunnel to the Alpentherme so plenty of choice for her, we hope. She was hoping to have done a little bit of walking but her recovery has been slower than we thought so it will just be swimming, a bit of gym and plenty of relaxation.

So to your situation, @Strax - I can recommend Colletts (several posters here put me on to them) - they still do the ski hosting thing with similar arrangements for organised snowshoeing if your missus is able to do that.
Plenty of choice of you go the spa route - I might even be persuaded to do a little TR on Bad Hofgastein in a couple of weeks...
snow report
@Strax,It can be boring just hanging around and doing the cooking, take an iron too.
latest report
JamesN wrote:
thecramps wrote:

You can do this in Nice. It's about a 1.5-2hour drive up to Isola or Auron. It's a bit of a mission but as they're mainly used by French weekenders you've almost got your own private ski resort in the week.

You can try in Granada, but I'm not impressed with the skiing there. Andorra is more like 3hr plus from Barcelona, so a bit of a drag.
Andorra la Vella does have a huge spa in the city centre which is about 20-30 min drive from Soldeu. http://www.caldea.com/fr
snow report
Sierra Nevada for the skiing, Malaga/Marbella for the beach and sun?
snow report
Basil wrote:
@Strax,It can be boring just hanging around and doing the cooking, take an iron too.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Basil wrote:

HAHAHA!!
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Up on blocks?
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
JamesN wrote:
thecramps wrote:

You can try in Granada, but I'm not impressed with the skiing there. Andorra is more like 3hr plus from Barcelona, so a bit of a drag.
Andorra la Vella does have a huge spa in the city centre which is about 20-30 min drive from Soldeu. http://www.caldea.com/fr

Arinsal to Andorra la Vella is about 10 min drive. 3 mountains included in a lift pass too
snow report
Asking her seems like a good plan....

A ski binding can pre-release for several different reasons. Snow stuck on bottom of boot, badly adjusted forward pressure, ice buildup in the binding, etc. etc. I am somewhat surprised that a pre-release could result in such a serious injury. After 20m she couldn't have been travelling very fast. The normal mechanism of a slow speed knee injury is a fall when the binding didn't release.

Having to wait for swelling to go down before operating is quite normal. When I broke my tibial plateau I was in casualty in a hospital with a large orthopedic department within 90 minutes. I had applied compression and a bag of ice ice, but it was still necessary to wait a couple of days for the operation (for a plate and 7 screws).

Bear in mind that many doctors tend to be pessimistic about recovery times. I was told that there was no way I would be skiing the following season, but I was back on skis 9 months later. A lot depends on having the willpower to work really hard with rehab.
snow conditions
What a load of tosh, just tell her the dates YOU'RE going skiing and hope your key still fits the lock when you get back. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, Not so funny; last time I did that she did indeed change the locks before I got back. She also got my car and keys (including house keys: hence change of lock) nicked at the gym. I was seriously après-ski when she told me on the phone, and I couldn't stop laughing. She still hasn't forgiven me.

In fact this injury was quite minor: but the broken part of the fibula has displaced, and needed reattaching in the right place. The bindings were set up by EB before we left, and I've checked subsequently: the bindings operate perfectly. The fact that she dashed off, in order to try to photograph the tribe suggests some packed snow/ice and an insufficient safety check. She'd covered a good 100m before she bailed, she would have been just changing stance to loose speed so I reckon she would have had good pace on her.

We expect she will make a faster recovery, and hopefully will ski with us all next spring half-term. As 2 of my 3 offspring have exams in that semester, we/they will only have short days on the piste. Probably means I need a ski buddy in Campiglio next Spring half term.

To complete the scenario: it IS a nice hotel with a nice spa, and we thank @campiglio once more for arranging that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy