Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montchavin/les Coches accommodation La Marelle/Chalet Wengen &others

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Montchavin/Les Coches for the first two weeks in April and trying to decide on what apartments to book.

The options are : La Marelle et Le Rami / Chalet de Wengen /lLes Trois Glaciers / Chalet de Montchavin

Really looking to hear of anyone who has experience of staying in any of these, and what they are like and their location in respect of nearest lift and town. Then the apartments in general.

We have stayed in 3 Glaciers before so know that, so a comparison would be good if anyone has experience of both.

I know the likes of Marelle et Rami you ski down the red to the lift at Montchavin so that sounds ok. Chalet de Montchavin says 100m to nearest lift, I think it looks further than that? Wengen looks like it is built on a slope so if you are at the top it may be very easy to get to lifts but if down the bottom end not so good, again this is all just what I think as I don't actually know.

We definitely prefer nearer to lifts than town if can't have both as have an 8 year old, so rushing in the morning, usually, to ski school ,is no fun if it involves a bit of a trek.

We are verging towards La Marelle et Le Rami, so if any horror stories, let me hear them now. Skullie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gilly28, Chalet de Montchavin probably is a bit further than 100m to the gondola/Evo2 (I've not stayed there but I've been there). Not more than 200m I would say though, and on the flat. You can leave your skis/boots and Evo2 if you have lessons/hire with them. Compared to Les Trois Glaciers, it's closer to the town - Les Trois Glaciers always felt like it was a bit remote up the hill to me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Gamsbock that's good info. Yeah the 3 Glaciers was a bit of a hike at night and rubbish if you decided to head to the town straight for a some après ski and just missed the navette up and have to wait for next one. Mmm chalet montchavin might be a contender
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gilly28, this is just my opinion, so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt...
I think Montchavin is the nicer village, with generally nicer restaurants. Annex up the hill aside, the village centre is more compact, and you also have the aqua centre. Les Coches is a bit spread out. The main advantage of Les Coches is that it is higher, and so the snow is generally better, and by staying there you avoid the run (or gondola) down to Montchavin which can be tricky if the snow is poor. But if you stay in La Marelle et Le Rami with the intention of skiing down to Montchavin to get on the lift, then you lose the main advantage of staying in Les Coches. Of all your options, it's the furthest from villages centres and lifts. I appreciate there may be other factors like price and quality of accommodation that I'm not taking into account, but purely based on the accessibility criteria, La Marelle et Le Rami seems least suitable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once stayed in one of the lower units in Chalets de Wengen and to be fair it was quite a long trudge up the road to the chairlift in the morning, and then a walk back down the road again at the end of the day. Probably at least 200m.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All great advice and what I was looking for. Mmmm think we'll now go for Chalet de Montchavin. Son will hopefully be having lessons with Evo2 (the only lessons he's ever loved) so if we feel the need to leave skis there and they allow then great.

I did wonder about the access to the Montchavin lift it the snow disappeared there but I was advised in previous years that they do their best to keep the links open to the area with manmade snow if need be. I did like the village of Montchavin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all of your thoughts. We have now booked Chalet De Montchavin. It will be good to check it out. 3 glaciers was more or less ski in/out when we were there before and I know this one has a bit of a walk back and forth but the upside is you have the town nearer. A lot of the time we did head to the town straight after skiing so still had a walk.
It's good to try a different place to stay especially when it's just us and you are not choosing the accommodation for other families as well.
We will try and have a good scoot about Les Coches this time to check out what we think for future trips.
The good news is it's been showing a fair bit right down to Montchavin Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly28, when skiing back down, just make sure you don't miss the turn to the left that takes you down the track to the bottom of the gondola. There's a conveniently placed snowblower I used to use as a marker! If you ski all the way down to the bottom of the chair you will double the length of your walk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I know where you mean, as I think it's the track we used in the mornings from the 3 glaciers to take the wee one to Evo 2 ski school. They met at the top of the gondola so we would ski across, past their shop/office and to the gondola.
I think I remember that cannon, because if I went first I was useless and always skied pass the track and had to side step back up! I started to just follow my husband as he obviously used that cannon as a marker!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gilly28, yes that's the one. I missed it several times until my boyfriend nonchalantly told me about the snowblower trick Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gilly28, and if you want to stay in Les Coches next time, definitely worth spending some time making a list of which apartment blocks (and their entrances) are close enough the lifts, and then researching those that are a suitable from a location perspective later on. The layout of the resort makes it pretty tricky to figure out accessibility online, as you've already discovered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gämsbock, You said you hadn't stayed at Chalet de Montchavin but had been there. Did you have friends who stayed there? Just wondering if there is a freezer!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gilly28, sorry I don't know - I just went there to collect a lost phone on behalf of someone else. It was a just quick hop along from the chalet I was working in, which was next to the Pharmacy. I know it was quick cause I managed to get there and back before my absence was even noticed by said person. But I can't help you on the freezer...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aahhh! So you worked in Montchavin! Nice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I stayed in Chalets de Wengen back in Feb - loved it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy