Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez or Flaine at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, I am sadly finished with skiing for this season (sniff) so starting to plan for next year (hurrah). Am thinking about going to Alpe D'Huez or Flaine over Christmas - does anyone have any experience of what the snow is like in those resorts at that time of year? I know there are more obvious places to go in December (eg Tignes, Val Thorens) but I'd like to go somewhere new and haven't been to ADH ever or to Flaine since 1983 (when I was very young!) Any thoughts appreciated! Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow in those two places can be quite different because of geography. One might be better than the other..... But which????

I'd wait, and book last minute. And if snow was as poor as this last Christmas, forget it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to ADH for New Year 3 years ago (so not one of the recent really duff snow years).
Quite a lot of stuff wasn't open yet, particularly the harder stuff out of the main bowl, as there wasn't masses of snow yet. Lots of the runs above the main bowl seem to be over rocky terrain, and we all came back with the most chewed up skis we've ever had. However, if you're going to hire skis that's not so much of a problem - both the lads in our group who had hired had to get different skis midweek because they'd trashed the first pair.
Only been to Flaine once, a long time ago, mid season, so can't help you there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. Interesting to hear Karin that not everything was open over New Year even in one of the less bad snow years. I will have to procrastinate for a little longer!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
N10skier wrote:
Interesting to hear Karin that not everything was open over New Year even in one of the less bad snow years.

It is worth noting that AdH is a pretty big area though, considerably larger than Flaine. Although AdH is at a fairly decent altitude (only it's southern alp location stops it from being as snow sure as Tignes, etc) several runs drop below the resort of AdH and therefore only open intermittently. It is heavily sun kissed to, which of there's snow is a joy...if not it can be a disaster.

I'd personally go AdH out of the two, but I'd expect both to be open to some extent by Christmas!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to book early (ie before late November) for Christmas then I'd head for somewhere like Tignes or Val Thorens, neither Flaine nor AdH. We've had two years of terrible Christmas snow in much of the Alps - we are due a nice one, but you never know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy