Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter La Plagne. Which Village & Kids Lessons ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
We are a family of 2 Adults and 4 Kids (13, 11, 8 & 5). Husband and I have several years ski experience, but the kids are all total beginners. We are trying to sort a week away over the Easter hols (26/03/16 - 10/04/16). We are wanting catered chalet accommodation and ski lessons for the kids. After spending HOURS on the internet researching and trying to find availability, we have narrowed it down to the following resorts options:

La Plagne-Montchavin
La Plagne-Montalbert
Les Menuires-Bettex (chalet minibus to Les M)
Chatel (chalet minibus to slopes)

So my questions to you knowledgeable lot are:
1. Suitability for kids re: near to ski school meeting point.
2. Nearby suitable runs that we can escape to for 2-3 hours whilst kids are in lessons !
3. Any Ski school recommendations (where there is a choice in resort)

I have toyed with the idea of private lessons, but I think the older 2 will progress quicker rolling eyes
So not sure whether to:
a. Put them all in group lessons individually
b. Private lesson for the 2 younger, and the older ones in group lessons
c. Private lessons x2 (1 for older 2, 1 for younger 2)
Obviously this is all dependent on availability !!

Welcoming any advice on the above.
Not sure why I am so stressed about it all. I'm just overly concerned that this first holiday goes well, after they have a week under their belts I'm sure next year will be less of an issue Laughing

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-03-16 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd avoid minibussing anywhere. I don't know La Plagne well but plenty of people do - maybe edit your thread title to make it clear you want info about beginner ski lessons in La Plagne.

As for ski lessons, unless money is no object I'd put them all into groups, whatever is recommended by the ski school. Even an 8 and a 5 year old will learn at different paces. I had a grandchild aged 5 in a group lesson at Christmas. She did really well, made huge progress, and got a "bronze mouse" badge (ESI). I have booked an 8 year old into a beginners class for Easter and their target is a silver Thingummy - one stage above.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
I'd avoid minibussing anywhere.

Hear what you say.
To be honest it is more of a "shuttle" service to the lifts/skischool offered to guests so they don't have to walk or use the resorts skibus.
Which I have to admit might ease the getting them all to skischool on some level !!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Delilahdaff, tricky choice. I assume you've spent hours and hours and don't want suggestions of other places.
I know Montchavin quite will - went there with kids with Ski Eprit for many years - have popped down to Montalbert a few times, driven past Bettex, don't know Chatel at all.
I would go with Montchavin (which company?).
It is small place and easy to get to Skischool meet from anywhere.
Lots of nearby runs for mum&dad within easy reach around Dos Rond, even across the Vanoise if feeling adventurous.
Have used both ESF and Evolution 2 - like all ski schools, the experience is very personal and depends a lot on the teacher. If Evolution guarantee small class sizes then go with them.
Montchavin is a lovely village with lots of good restaurants and bars, and lots of safe areas for kids to play in (snowball fights, sledges, buidling igloos, whatever)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Jonpim
It's with Ski Amis.
....and yes. HOURS and HOURS of tearing out hair looking !!! Mad Confused Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

To be honest it is more of a "shuttle" service to the lifts/skischool offered to guests so they don't have to walk or use the resorts skibus.

But that probably means it's a bit of a distance, or they wouldn't be offering that service.

Montchavin sounds good! Hope you sort out some good ski school options. Smaller groups will cost more but worth it for their first holiday, perhaps?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Delilahdaff, Montchavin has a great ski school for children - Evo2. Most of the chalets are very close to the lifts (there are not so many chalets). Usually the snow is fine at that time of year, though I am not sure what it has been like this year - of course the higher up slopes will be fine, and the Montchavin slopes are north facing. There are reports on here of both Montchavin/Les Coches at Easter and of the Evo2 ski school.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montchavin is a nice place and Paradiski has a good snow record at Easter. However bear in mind that whilst the kids are in 2.5 hr lessons you might not get that far across the la plagne ski area as you are at one edge of it. It would probably be worth buying the full pass including Les Arcs for yourselves. Montchavin is also at quite a low altitude so whilst the snow will probably be fine a few hundred metres higher up the run back to the village might be quite slushy if the weather turns mild.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowymum, @Delilahdaff, the Evo2 ski school will give them lunch as well if you like - extends your skiing time a bit.

http://evolution2-montchavin.com/en/65-services-
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know you want catered and have some specific villages in mind, but here's my TR from Plagnes Villages last Easter:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2715867&highlight=#2715867

We used Oxygene ski school which met in Plagne Centre - plenty of great runs locally to do while the kids are in ski school. Great thing about going at Easter is that there'll be other English children in the lessons too, which can help.

Anyway, possibly another option to consider but I sympathise with the amount of research you have obviously done!

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday wherever you choose to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

whilst the snow will probably be fine a few hundred metres higher up the run back to the village might be quite slushy if the weather turns mild.

is there a lift alternative?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, yes, you can download in the gondola.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No problem then! @Delilahdaff, once you've decided on your accommodation book all the ski lessons right away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, Evo 2 fully booked for the week available with that accomodation.....already checked Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's a shame. We've had quite a few posts this year about people who booked accommodation for half term ages ago then found, having left it till the last minute, that they couldn't get ski lessons.

What about ESF? Don't stress too much about language, especially for the youngest. My 5 year old grand-daughter was in an entirely French speaking group at Christmas, with an instructor who spoke 6 words of English (snowplough, hands on knees, very good!) and was fine. She's shy anyway and might well not have spoken to the others even if they'd all been Anglophone.

They cope!
snow conditions
@Delilahdaff, I wouldn't think you would have a problem booking with ESF for that week, it is a relatively quiet time in La Plagne as the French aren't on holiday then. The Easter weekend can be busier but it is classed as low season out here.

Also the ESF run some courses entirely in English, it's worth looking on their website. I think they call it the ski world ski class, it is probably worth giving them a call to check it is available rather than just seeing what is shown online.
ski holidays
Thank you everyone.
I have spent the day searching for deals and it is now a definite toss up between two;

Les Menuires- Le Bettaix - Chalet Isabelle with Silver Lining Chalets
or
Chatel - Chalet Les 2 Vallees with Mountain Air Holidays

Will start a new thread asking for anyone's experience of these !!
Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy