Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

when to book? early or last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I'm looking at booking our first ski trip next febuary or March.
Only me and my 7 year old.
Is it better to book now or hold out till a few weeks before and go anywhere that has a good amount of snow forecast?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have someplace specific you want to go to - Book early to be sure
If you're flexible - Book late and you can follow the snow and find some amazing deals*.

* Although maybe not both if snow is limited (not usually a problem by the end of Feb / March)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are going half term and see somewhere you like book now. If you are flexible re dates, destinations then wait.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The most attractive resorts, accommodation and dates generally sell out early (and don't often get discounted).

In France in particular, New Year and half term sell out well in advance, at least in almost anywhere that a UK TO operates to.

Although there are sometimes early booking discounts to be had.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-03-16 11:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The most attractive resorts, accommodation and dates sell out early

This. Are you taking the lad out of school? If so, that would give you a much better chance of a bargain. But if it's half term, best to plan now. Even if you find a last minute package at half term ski schools could well be fully booked.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The most attractive resorts, accommodation and dates sell out early (and don't often get discounted).

This is not always true. There was a fair number of vacancies this half term. But then again you cannot be certain this will be the same next year so booking early is probably a good idea.

Weather forecasts a few weeks in advance are generally pretty poor so waiting until a couple of weeks before will not really give you a good idea where the snow is falling.

My advice is to start lookiing fairly early at a resort and type of holiday you want and book as soon as you know what you want. But remember that if you are looking at self catering apartments then many of these are only released in the autumn.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, fixed it.

My suspicion is that this season anything vacant at half term by mid-Dec would have remained unbooked until the snow came early Jan, also depending on where - e.g. low resorts with no higher slope access in France for example may have remained unbooked - no matter what price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The hotel I'm at next half term is already full that week. If you want something specific, book early. If you're not too fussed then leave it late and go with the snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stewpot101, I travel on my own with my 8 year old and book as early as possible to ensure I get what works for both of us. Going on a ski trip with your kids is great but they do need peer level interaction. This is why I've booked with Esprit for the last 3 years. They offer good deals for a solo parent traveling with 1 or more children. There is limited availability and the places disappear fast. Add to this their early booking discount and I'd be tempted to book early. If you want to guarantee snow then look at Val d'Isere

http://www.espritski.com/deals/family-savers/single-parent-ski-holidays/

These are my trip reports

Val d'Isere

Belle Plagne

Belle Plagne is very nice but expensive and doesn't have the solo parent deals.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-03-16 15:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I'd say it's more about snow depths than latest fall, and the is better assessed closer to the departure date.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice.
I'll keep looking and I'd I se something I fancy I'll just book it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy