Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age hasn't withered me … the errors of older skiers

Poster: A snowHead
billb wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
See 3 & 5 - but read all of them as you obviously haven' t before rolling eyes

Haven't I? Rule 3 refers to the choice of route of the uphill skier and re-inforces my point. Rule 5 refers to starting again after stopping. Obviously, you'd look up for your own safety but I still say an up-hill skier shouldn't be so close as to make a collision inevitable. Of course it is inadvisable to start suddenly in a traverse when there are a group of speed merchants hurtling down above you but it isn't quite the same as driving - not as precise.

N.B. I've been aware of FIS rules for some time. I'm not an idiot.

There is another rule 5...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some young person thought it was funny Skullie Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/EZ3OHueG7hc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, love the photo!

(But I pity Rob when you get your hands on him Laughing .)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamcham wrote:
billb wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
See 3 & 5 - but read all of them as you obviously haven' t before rolling eyes

Haven't I? Rule 3 refers to the choice of route of the uphill skier and re-inforces my point. Rule 5 refers to starting again after stopping. Obviously, you'd look up for your own safety but I still say an up-hill skier shouldn't be so close as to make a collision inevitable. Of course it is inadvisable to start suddenly in a traverse when there are a group of speed merchants hurtling down above you but it isn't quite the same as driving - not as precise.

N.B. I've been aware of FIS rules for some time. I'm not an idiot.

There is another rule 5...

Yeah, I've read them as well. At least you didn't refer me to the "other" rule 7 Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to clarify: crowded slope, pack of skiing older ladies going every which way at random. Gap opens up, I ski in to it for want of any alternative. Crumbly to the left who has been skiing slow lines across the width of the slope suddenly decides to cut back right. I am not going that fast but am trying to avoid/go thorough the pack spread out over 1/4 acre of piste. I ease right to avoid said crumbly and exactly the wrong moment the crumbly to the right decides to cut back directly into me. N.B at this point we were more or less level. I am canted over to avoid crumbly on the left so cannot avoid crumbly on the right. I scream 'Attention' in my best French - she does nothing. BANG! Banged up skis (first outing for them, as well) and pulled neck, shoulder and back muscles. I was skiing some CoreUpt off piste skis so edging was not what it might have been had I been on my 'normal' piste skis.
Hands up - they were below me but if I had obeyed the technical rules I would have been stuck stationary on the slope for about 20 mins given their level of progress and random movement. It was not a narrow slope either but they had edged me over to one side already!
I weigh .... well, let's just say a lot. Little old lady did not weigh much at all. If I had been going at speed she would have been 'toast', and 'flat' toast at that. The fact that she got up and skiied off demonstrates that I was not going at excessive speed.
@andyrew, the pack were all def. the 2. classification. One or two of them were a little bit better than the others and seemed to have nominated themselves ski instructor for the day. I think they were the ones on straight skis ......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Hands up - they were below me but if I had obeyed the technical rules I would have been stuck stationary on the slope for about 20 mins given their level of progress and random movement.

Yeah - your fault. Fortunately you aren't a fool and were going at a reasonable speed. It would have been 20 seconds not 20 minutes (might have felt like 2 hours!) but that doesn't really matter - you should have been more patient.
But you know that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW - I've been known to get things wrong too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Time for this again

http://youtube.com/v/dXSuWvdnvHg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOL @RattytheSnowRat, [b]@admin[b] could we have a new sticker "crumbly sH" as I will need at least one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RattytheSnowRat,

Nice of you to admit you were in the wrong wink

Was skiing once down Happy Valley, St Anton at the end of the day under similar "rush hour" conditions. I stopped and waited for a few seconds and a child skied into the back of me them fell over. I helped her up then as I skied off her father turned up and started giving me abuse as he assumed I had skied into her. Sometimes you just can't win.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the pack were all def

no use screaming "attention" then... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still suggesting, without allocating blame that you should have skied at their speed, behind them, until clear opportunity to pass, @RattytheSnowRat.

I am not perfect, during an illegal seasonaires end of season race way back when no-one skied led than a 203 unless they were a chalet girl I managed to ski between two older folks, over the tops of both pairs of skis while they'd stopped in the middle of the piste for a chat.

Not my best moment.

I was only just an adult, maybe.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I just got taken out last week by a French woman of advanced years (well, she was older than me). She was part of a pack of older women - 6/7 - all skiing together tentatively down a crowded red slope. One of her pack abruptly turned in front of me and just as I took avoiding action my nemesis decided to turn in front of me from the other side. I shouted a warning but she just ploughed into me.

In Austria if there is an injury & the Police are called (normally the case). Witness statements.

You can get fined (to start with on the spot) of €5000!! Then you will have to deal with the court case, liability & injury claim which could amount to €€€€€€€€€€€€€

Treat it the same as driving a car. If the car in front turns (even without signalling) and you crash into them, you were not paying attention & driving to close.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In Austria if there is an injury & the Police are called

and if the perpetrator doesn't scarper. Somebody I know whose knee was destroyed by a sideways hit from a fat boy in a helmet and a potty crouch who smashed into her as she stood, right at the side of the piste, with a 3 year old. Austria's best knee doctors weren't able to make it right.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Kitzbuhel. Her sister had been a ski instructor in the resort for some years - their father owned a big house there. They weren't exactly holiday skiers who knew nothing.
snow report
@pam w,
Horrible

I wonder if we are going to get to the stage where people ski with GoPros or similar to demonstrate liability or otherwise if crashes increase.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Time for this again

Tragically the guide making the video died a few months ago aged 33 - RIP Florian Scharlock - you were the best.
ski holidays
Any analogy with car driving attitude, reaction speeds, anticipation, road-sense, overall skills here, does anyone think?

Now let me think, which age group has the lowest insurance premiums? Which age group has by far the highest rate of accidents per mile or kilometre driven? wink
latest report
@skilegs, that's very sad. He did a wonderful job on that video, so full of joy.
snow report
Hilda, 101, looks safe to me...

https://www.sno.co.uk/blog/hilda-jamieson-britains-oldest-skier/
latest report
stanton wrote:
Some young person thought it was funny Skullie Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/EZ3OHueG7hc

I see in this video a typical bunch of intermidiots with low skill level as seen at any ski resort in all age groups, especially middle aged "boys" skiing in a peer group who started skiing when they were 20 or 30 something, ski for 1 week per year and think they have mastered the sport because they are able to go quite fast, but with little actual control or awareness of their situation.
snow report
@uktrailmonster, TBH, they weren't even going that fast, just out of control.
ski holidays
Quote:

utterly - they are so bad they don't know how bad they are
ski holidays
Quote:

stopped and waited for a few seconds and a child skied into the back of me them fell over. I helped her up then as I skied off her father turned up and started giving me abuse as he assumed I had skied into her. Sometimes you just can't win.

Ha! I almost had the same situation in February. Going down a narrow winding resort run at the end of the day I stop at the side of the piste. A father goes past with young daughter following. She catches an edge and veers into the bank, skis and poles everywhere. Cries out for her Dad who is now down the hill and looks upset. I ski over and help her get up and back on her skis, smiling indulgently. Who should come round the bend but her mum with a face like thunder - it dawns on me that she has assumed I just wiped out her child.... Her family sets her straight but I don't get any thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Just to clarify: crowded slope, pack of skiing older ladies going every which way at random. Gap opens up, I ski in to it for want of any alternative. Crumbly to the left who has been skiing slow lines across the width of the slope suddenly decides to cut back right. I am not going that fast but am trying to avoid/go thorough the pack spread out over 1/4 acre of piste. I ease right to avoid said crumbly and exactly the wrong moment the crumbly to the right decides to cut back directly into me. N.B at this point we were more or less level. I am canted over to avoid crumbly on the left so cannot avoid crumbly on the right. I scream 'Attention' in my best French - she does nothing. BANG! Banged up skis (first outing for them, as well) and pulled neck, shoulder and back muscles. I was skiing some CoreUpt off piste skis so edging was not what it might have been had I been on my 'normal' piste skis. ......

Perhaps admin could start a sticky thread so that you can post where and when you are going skiing, so that the rest of us may be sure we avoid you. Skullie
snow report
@RattytheSnowRat, "I am canted over"

Well, definitely, lessons for you then.

At what point on skis should you angulate ! Into the slope?
snow report
Chamcham wrote:

yeah I said "quite fast" not "that fast". But definitely too fast for their wee wee poor ability and awareness.
snow report
[quote="billb"

Yeah, I've read them as well. At least you didn't refer me to the "other" rule 7 Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]

Yet your interpretation is flawed - there is no primacy of responsibility on the uphill skier. In fact Colorado state law which explicitly encodes FIS type rules specifically refers to an obligation of a joining or starting skier to yield to traffic. Of course oh so many people don't even bother to look never mind yield.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Time for this again

+1, and RIP Florian.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... there is no primacy of responsibility on the uphill skier. In fact Colorado state law which explicitly encodes FIS type rules specifically refers to an obligation of a joining or starting skier to yield to traffic. Of course oh so many people don't even bother to look never mind yield.

I concur. However, reading the OP, it seems to me that our intrepid friend was in breach of Rule 4 - and probably 2 and 3.
ski holidays
I think the snowrat has to be attempting to wind us all up. Anyone who skies through a group of 'crumblies' hitting one, who falls where she is hit, yet tumbles 50m downhill after the collision and tries to blame it on the group of crumblies, really? 50m is a hell of a distance, was the piste race injected?
ski holidays
@pam w, thank you so much for that video. I haven't seen it before and this 60 year old is inspired by it!

(BTW- I have't crashed into anyone yet so I think I am still in control of my faculties!)
snow report
@pam w, Thanks for that video, I was telling someone about it not long ago, now I can show them Very Happy
snow report
One of the ladies in the vid is a friend of mine - she is well over 70 and absolutely amazing, fit fit fit and a fantastic skier. For my part age has made me more cautious and I am very scared these days on piste, particularly when it is icy, because of the number of people skiing too fast for the place and often the conditions and regularly their own skill level. The fast really great skier is not an issue he/she will be very unlikely to be involved in an accident but as for the many others - well?!!
snow report
@FFIRMIN, there are ways of finding quieter pistes, more likely to be populated by people who are not all intent on showing off.

Don't go to resorts popular with British tour operators!
snow conditions
I love that video. I am very cautious nowadays, well always have been, and just try to avoid really busy pistes nowadays full of hullabaloos. But I like to think that I always look up before setting off, thank Austrian ski schools for instilling that sort of rule, and keep to my line so it is obvious where I am going and be very aware of people who look as if they are nervous, just learning and that sort of thing as they will do odd moves, and need to be given the space so to do.
ski holidays
duplicate

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 3-03-16 14:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Think twice before you take off, eh pamski? wink
snow report
@pam w,I like what you did there Smile
snow conditions
awesome video, skill beats age day after day Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy