Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age hasn't withered me … the errors of older skiers

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think I could ski in Japan on a sunny day, I think I'd spend all my time just looking at the trees!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SnoodyMcFlude, That is just becaurse you are not 89 years yet - just wait and see! Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-02-16 22:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone colliding with you from behind is out of control, no argument. The person who does it to me or a member of my family ends up wishing they hadn't.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tubaski wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, interesting use of the word "routine"

Well I wholeheartedly condone it if it's random.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Slope users that crash into other slope users are an issue of course, but I fail to see how their age/gender/nationality/clothing/etc. are relevant.

<- that!

And I generally reserve the right to be pissed off at people who ski into me from behind regardless of age, gender or ethnicity - as I'm all about equal opportunities.

(also being able to swear in English, German, French and Italian (at a push) comes in handy too).

Ultimately, I believe in doing like I would want to be done by - i.e. skiing a reasonably predictable line and only veering from that to react to whatever people are doing lower down to avoid skiing into them.

Mind you thinking about it - I can only (luckily) recall two occassions over the past 20 years or so which would loosely fall into the category of "having been skiied into".

First one was a beginner friend of mine misjuding the stopping time needed to join the T-Bar line resulting in a joint sit-down on respective bindings and having the lifty dash out of his hut for untangling purposes (emberrassing) and the second one was some out of controle mid-twenties girl succeeding in skiing over the ends of my skis somewhere on the Sella Ronda and then promptly falling over (her not me) as a result of that idiocy...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty wrote:
As a newly joined member of the over 50 club, I know I ski better than I did when I was 40. People of any age can be reckless, but I think that's more a feature of personality than age.

You keep repeating yourself too wink wink wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
billb wrote:
Anyone colliding with you from behind is out of control, no argument. The person who does it to me or a member of my family ends up wishing they hadn't.

Nope - not if you've just set off from stationary into the heir path. No absolutes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just got taken out last week by a French woman of advanced years (well, she was older than me). She was part of a pack of older women - 6/7 - all skiing together tentatively down a crowded red slope. One of her pack abruptly turned in front of me and just as I took avoiding action my nemesis decided to turn in front of me from the other side. I shouted a warning but she just ploughed into me. None of these ladies seemed in any way aware of what was going on around them, having their gazes magnetically locked on the fronts of their skis. After I picked myself up 50 metres down the slope, I was surrounded by the rest of the pack, clearly uninterested in the fate of their companion but very keen to apportion blame to me for going too fast (I wasn't) and repeatedly asking me with a certain ghoulish glee where I had been injured and whether I required a helicopter. Their companion was in a small heap at the crash site but they didn't seem to bothered about her. Don't know what preventative measures could be adopted (short of leashing them together) but for the sake of us all, please think of something fast.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RattytheSnowRat,
From what you have written they both turned in front of you, if so you are technically at fault.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DB, +1

@RattytheSnowRat, skiers in front of you do not turn abruptly, they just turn. It is your responsibility to keep out of the way of any movement they may make. BTW, did you shout a warning in French?

It is because of attitudes such as yours that I often look uphill before turning if I am on a reasonably crowded piste with the possibility that there may be a skier behind me going faster than me. I do not have to do this since it is actually my right of way as the downhill skier, but I would rather stay upright than be in the right and flat on the snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RattytheSnowRat, you were the one taking someone out, not vice versa.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RattytheSnowRat, it does sound as though if one could turn into you from one direction and another from the opposite direction, that you were skiing through them. Which may have been unavoidable (e.g. they were taking up the whole piste) but generally sounds like a recipe for trouble...

If you can't some to a complete stop in time to avoid anything that happens in front of you (as in this case, from your description) while you might not be skiing out of control, you are certainly skiing too fast.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RattytheSnowRat, Awww... you've blown it son. The Pack have cornered you - nothing left to do but abandon this pseudonym and start again. Still, you've racked up a score of 1509, but I'm afraid it's not good enough for the SnowHeads star prize, lets see what you could've won...

Aww, a fantastic speedboat! Nevermind, heres your BFH.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@RattytheSnowRat, Awww... you've blown it son. The Pack have cornered you

Haven't they just!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like vultures! Laughing
snow report
@valais2,

I think you should be wary of extrapolating from two nasty incidents into a trend. I don't think older skiers present much of a hazard. Apart from anything else the consequences of a collision (or even just a fall) can be pretty serious as your bone density deteriorates. The older skiers I've know have generally got quite a lot more cautious and ski within themselves.
snow report
@jedster, I agree. I found on returning to the slopes after a long break(27 years) that while my skills (such as they are) were still there I was definitely much more cautious than before. Probably because I no longer had the brute strength to get out of trouble so it was best to avoid it in the first place.
latest report
OK, we got him wink

http://fuzzfix.t2b.click/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/69.jpg
ski holidays
@jedster, Absolutely right regarding the point that we should never extrapolate from deficient samples - luckily as a researcher very aware of that and tried to write the original post as an exploration of a specific mechanism which may have played a role in two incidents - the mechanism being a specific category of skier where previous competence has been compromised without the skier perhaps recognising it, and compensating for it. And I continue to think it's a possible mechanism. I certainly tried to emphasise that I was not examining what proportion or volume of accidents may be caused by this mechanism - I suspect not many (facts in this area are made more difficult by the issue that the age profile of those injured is analysed, the age profile of those CAUSING accidents is not). Just to add an interesting coda, I have seen two nasty accidents in the last two years, caused by instructors hitting people - skiers who are not their clients....but that's another story....
latest report
Young Skiers

http://youtube.com/v/Lyg1svwMLYY
snow report
Could it be that older folk just don't care anymore?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/happiness-peaks-at-70-when-you-stop-giving-a-poo-poo-20160301106706
snow report
@thecramps, Laughing
snow conditions
Been hit twice from behind in the last few years and both were old skool / old guys skiing too quick , kids just bounce off me so they don't count Toofy Grin
latest report
<outrageous_generaliasation>
Jonpim wrote:

From my experience there are 2 groups of older skier:
1. Those with impeccable technique who ski with care and attention, and who may take a lesson every now and then
2. Those who had just one or two weeks of lessons a hundred years ago, who are a danger to themselves and others, who have no insight into their lack of technique, and who completely refuse to accept they might benefit from a lesson or two.

</outrageous_generaliasation>
latest report
@skimottaret, ...ah ha...that's another instance of the experience I was trying to understand....interesting
snow conditions
@skimottaret is treading on dangerous ground - many of his clients are pensioners. Twisted Evil Confucius he say, 'do not bite the hand that feeds'. wink
snow conditions
I've seen rubbish skiing from all ages. But I have seen more reckless skiing by young rather than old - including the knocking over of a child (and skiing away pronto).
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Been hit twice from behind in the last few years and both were old skool / old guys skiing too quick

Obviously need a bit of work for the speed test.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@skimottaret is treading on dangerous ground - many of his clients are pensioners.
None of whom are allowed to ski old school, although all are encouraged to ski fast and drink lots of alcohol.
ski holidays
And ski like hooligans...

snow report
Oh $hit! In this instance, however, the camera does lie - although my jump was, er, unplanned, I was not nearly as close to that person as it appears. He was surprised, but unhurt, indeed he remained standing (unlike me). Honest, officer. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Judas! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
@Hurtle, gotcha!

Don't give me this "we're just pensioners" nonsense. I've seen you ski.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
billb wrote:

Nope - not if you've just set off from stationary into the heir path. No absolutes.

I disagree. It is the responsibility of the uphill skier to avoid the skiers below them. They don't own a path. In my experience, many skiers, even very competent ones, ski too close to others. There are plenty who act as if they're better than they really are and seem to think they have more right to the piste than others. It's put me off skiing at busy times.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
ski holidays
I hasten to add that the senior citizens who crashed into me weren't clients wink

@blahblahblah good one Wink Laughing
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
See 3 & 5 - but read all of them as you obviously haven' t before rolling eyes

Haven't I? Rule 3 refers to the choice of route of the uphill skier and re-inforces my point. Rule 5 refers to starting again after stopping. Obviously, you'd look up for your own safety but I still say an up-hill skier shouldn't be so close as to make a collision inevitable. Of course it is inadvisable to start suddenly in a traverse when there are a group of speed merchants hurtling down above you but it isn't quite the same as driving - not as precise.

N.B. I've been aware of FIS rules for some time. I'm not an idiot.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Been hit twice from behind in the last few years and both were old skool / old guys skiing too quick , kids just bounce off me so they don't count Toofy Grin

Nothing wrong with old skool or old guys, but anyone skiing too quick or beyond abilities is plain wrong.

Have to say, I have only been skiing for 20 years so a late starter and only been taken out once, that was in Selva by an errant single ski with no skier attached on the first ever day of skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy