Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age hasn't withered me … the errors of older skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret wrote:
I hasten to add that the senior citizens who crashed into me weren't clients wink

@blahblahblah good one Wink Laughing

Mottaret is nice, but now that they discriminate the elders I have to find a new place in 3V. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure oldsters are a serious problem on the pistes. I've skied with some good 60+ skiers. I do remember being at the local resort once about 25 years ago and having a ski take off on a bump and just miss my head before carrying on downslope. It's owner followed a minute later, he was a retired chap dressed in army surplus gear. He'd not been skiing for years but as it was sunny weather he'd got his old gear out of the attic - but no ski brakes just straps, which had obviously perished.

My son got taken out by an 18 year old idiot skiing backwards on the pavement (yes a helmet wearer). He got all stroppy when I suggested he stick to going forwards on ski runs telling me he was "an expert skier". Doh!

Then I remember poor old Philippe Traynard. He was one of the driving forces behind the first French national park, the Vanoise. 88 years old and still skiing he got taken out by a young freerider while standing on the "front neige" at Chamrousse. He never skied again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I just got taken out last week by a French woman of advanced years (well, she was older than me). She was part of a pack of older women - 6/7 - all skiing together tentatively down a crowded red slope. One of her pack abruptly turned in front of me and just as I took avoiding action my nemesis decided to turn in front of me from the other side. I shouted a warning but she just ploughed into me. None of these ladies seemed in any way aware of what was going on around them, having their gazes magnetically locked on the fronts of their skis. After I picked myself up 50 metres down the slope, I was surrounded by the rest of the pack, clearly uninterested in the fate of their companion but very keen to apportion blame to me for going too fast (I wasn't) and repeatedly asking me with a certain ghoulish glee where I had been injured and whether I required a helicopter. Their companion was in a small heap at the crash site but they didn't seem to bothered about her. Don't know what preventative measures could be adopted (short of leashing them together) but for the sake of us all, please think of something fast.

It is the responsibility of the skier uphill to avoid accidents, even if skiing under control. In black and white on posters in Kitzbuhel last week. It's like driving; if there is a collision it's the car's behind fault.

Yes the old biddy probably shouldn't have done what she did, but in skiing law you took her out, not vice versa.

50 metres is a long way to travel after an accident occurring at slow speed on a crowded slope.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit tragic to be profiling older skiers in this way.

Common sense would suggest that overall older skiers are more careful, take fewer risks and are more likely to ski within their envelope of skill.

Surely it is younger skiers who are more likely to take risks, test their boundaries and on occasion generally 4uck about on the slopes with less or no regard for others?

But then we have a smattering of anecdotal evidence the other way so it must be true!

For the record I have always been a n0b on the slopes young or old.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everyone who has ever taken me out on the slopes has been the uphill skier. I think they need separate slopes to keep them away from us downhill skiers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most skiers don't look before making a change of direction, stopping or starting. Personally I dislike the skiers who speed so close to me that they inadvertently get poked by my sticks. 😁
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ibexag, Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy