Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age hasn't withered me … the errors of older skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Hmmm… responding to the Numpty or not thread has made me think again of two accidents afflicted on me and my son by older skiers whacking into us from behind. Once, when my son was 7 he was hit by an elderly skier (late 60s early 70s) going way too fast through an intersection - hit my son full on, sending him into a somersault in the air - luckily he had a POC VPD back protector on, and a high quality helmet. The skier was totally unapologetic and became violent when asked to stay at the scene by both me and a pisteur. Second incident was two years' ago, when I was doing tight turns pretty damn quickly in a straight line on a wide section of fast piste - WHAM from behind, and a very large older guy hit me full on from behind, knocking me down and doing a nasty impact injury to my left shoulder joint, which has taken some time to resolve. Again, an older skier - mid 60's - large guy, clearly experienced and competent. Left the scene immediately, leaving me with son at 3000m. Some people stopped and helped and I made it down to the village - nasty wrench and compression to rotator cuff rather than a break, after X rays showed no bones broken - but all very painful and irritating.

In both cases, older skiers who looked as though they were once very competent (the first Dutch, the second Italian - if that's at all relevant) but now seemed to be skiing way faster than their current technique, instant decision-making and reaction times could properly accommodate. As I begin to approach a more advanced age I bear this in mind as a future issue but having seen some older people skiing excessively quickly and dangerously this season, I am beginning to wonder if this is more than just an isolated issue. I am not saying that skiing above ability is limited to older people - clearly not the case - but it must be difficult to recognise that as one grows older, the speeds and skiing needs to come down a rung or two in order to meet the almost inevitable decay in reaction times, complex decision-making and physical requirements….
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, I wonder if this isn't just a facet of less competent skiers being able to ski faster because the equipment allows them to?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, yes, that may well be an issue … indeed lots of comment on how speeds have gone up with each generation of skis...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Resorts need to start building senior zones for people over 50.

Flatter slopes, soft chairs, big words on pistemaps, that kind of thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or perhaps it is increased use of ski apps which leave you wondering if you can ski faster than your last run or your mate?

@Whitegold, if by flatter slopes you mean moguls are a bit hard on joints and stamina, then +1 Very Happy and padded/heated seats in lifts are definitely a welcome development.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, great idea, also restaurants at the top and bottom of each piste with big flat areas outside where all the oldies could dither about before and after putting there skis on. Also, regrade the pistes, so that reds became blacks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

it must be difficult to recognise that as one grows older, the speeds and skiing needs to come down a rung or two in order to meet the almost inevitable decay in reaction times, complex decision-making and physical requirements….

An interesting suggestion but makes me wonder why we often get stuck behind elderly drivers going at a snails pace.

Perhaps there's a point where elderly people haven't realised yet how bad they're getting but once they do realise they either slow down drastically or give up completely? Unfortunately, I suspect the realisation is probably as the result of an accident.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting point. Could this be a reflection of a far larger number of people skiing into their 60s and 70s? Makes a nice change from threads about "out of control boarders/teenagers" Very Happy . Or is that just my BiL's Facebook page?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I assume this thread is tongue-in-cheek.

Slope users that crash into other slope users are an issue of course, but I fail to see how their age/gender/nationality/clothing/etc. are relevant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Whitegold,
Quote:
big words on pistemaps

This.

It's a PITA getting my glasses out.

Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a newly joined member of the over 50 club, I know I ski better than I did when I was 40. People of any age can be reckless, but I think that's more a feature of personality than age.
Very Happy I do agree about the print size on piste maps though...!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a newly joined member of the over 50 club, I know I ski better than I did when I was 40. People of any age can be reckless, but I think that's more a feature of personality than age.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't say being hit from behind by pensioners is high on my list of worries when skiing wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an over 70s skier, I can report that the only collision I was involved in on my recent holiday occurred while waiting to join a lift queue. One moment I was waiting patiently enjoying the view, the next I was falling to the ground being grabbed by a young lady whose braking skills probably need some more work. Anyway she helped me back up gave me a lovely smile and we both went our separate ways. Apart from a mental note to turn down my charisma I suffered no ill effects from this episode.

Skiing is a sport that has an element of risk and we should all accept this and take sensible precautions like skiing within our skill limits and checking uphill when joining a slope
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My 15 year old(very competent skier)son was taken out last year in Val Thorens by an out of control British teenager who couldn't stop and this year on Lac de la Chambre, Meribel by a British middle aged woman who also couldn't stop - she found it highly amusing and just laughed it off. Both times we were stood still safely at the side of piste in full view of all uphill sliders - I only wish they had crashed into me(6ft, 100kg) rather than him(5ft 2", 55kg) thankfully nothing other than a few bruises.
In my experience idiocy on the slopes isn't age related it is ability/competence related.
latest report
I have noticed that everyone who has ever crashed into me from behind was wearing a helmet.
snow report
@Whitegold, you ever been ski touring ?
ski holidays
I am rather confused about what valais2 wrote:
a very large older guy hit me full on from behind, knocking me down and doing a nasty impact injury to my left shoulder joint . . . an older skier - mid 60's - large guy, clearly experienced and competent.

Just how did you judge this guy was "experienced and competent"?
His behaviour would suggest otherwise.
From my experience there are 2 groups of older skier:
1. Those with impeccable technique who ski with care and attention, and who may take a lesson every now and then
2. Those who had just one or two weeks of lessons a hundred years ago, who are a danger to themselves and others, who have no insight into their lack of technique, and who completely refuse to accept they might benefit from a lesson or two.
I reckon it was a member of category two that skied into you.
All these should be rounded up and shot. Toofy Grin
(I am of course a certified member of Category 1.)
snow report
I've got to say that in all my years on the slopes, the number of accidents caused by "older" riders is miniscule compared to those caused by others.

It is a concern, being taken out by someone else but that threat usually comes for younger less experienced riders.
snow conditions
Having just past 60 I guess I am now one of the old skiiers who can not ski anymore? Better take some classes again to learn it from scratch.

Just like with driving the risk is not so much among the old ones, but rather the young and daring ones.

But I agree about one thing pistmaps are getting smaller and smaller - ridiculous - we are the grey gold of skiing - they should print them with larger letters.

(any statistics about age and injuries?) Puzzled
snow conditions
As a mid 60's skier I have found my technique is still improving and the carving skis have been a great help. Fitness is now an issue but working on that one before my next trip to the 3V in a couple of weeks. Experience (over 30 years) means I am very aware of other slope users and I don't ski fast on crowded slopes. I hope I'm not unusual but given the number of people who are taking up skiing later in life I suspect that there are still plenty of older skiers who are not experienced or competent.
snow report
IMO these problems are twofold.
1. Modern skis are so confidence inspiring that you can ski at speeds beyond ability with great ease
2. Pistes are too well maintained - bash pistes less frequently and natural speed bumps will develop.

I render no solution to point one (I think we all benefit) but point 2 would go along way to reminding people they are not as good as they think and as a result would ski a lot slower!
snow conditions
Re eyesight etc I've been using these for the past four or so years for cycling / skiing etc brilliant!!!

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/dual_bifocal_sl2_sunglasses

And I've been nigh on taken out three times this season, and every idiot way younger than me!
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Should be more along the lines of dummy zones for people with IQ less than 50 NehNeh
snow conditions
I think there is definitely an age related factor in reaction times and (generally male related) "I've been doing this X0 years so I definitely I'm in the right/safe". There are lots of great older skiers but also still the average numpties who are just average older numpties who no longer have the reaction time or athleticism which kept them out of trouble when younger.

My own father no longer skis but latterly when he did he had a tendency to be hit by others in minor incidents which I put down to his tendency to do irrational things (e.g. stopping suddenly in bad places) and a lack of general spatial awareness (some of which was due to partial deafness).

Personal best story - Had an older British guy ski into me outside a restaurant at Grands Montets. He was actually travelling uphill and I was entirely stationary but as I was on a board at the time I was still the subject of a "bloody snowboarders hitting me!" rant.
ski holidays
I'm not sure age is the thing. I've been wiped out loads of times, but my analysis is that folk can be out of control or plain stupid no matter what age they are. I think it's self awareness that is the key ie some folk think they are more skilled than they actually are Confused
snow conditions
@SnowBun, +1
snow conditions
Well, as per Valais for me, except it was a 20 something year old woman and it did break my humerus into 4 lovely pieces.

But on a recent holiday, a lady who has had several falls and accidents over the years, though injuring mainly herself as far as I can gather, was having lessons " to get her confidence back". It then emerged that after a week of lessons many years ago her partner had vetoed further lessons on the grounds that she could " keep up with the group" ( and cost?). So she had skied for years without control on paths or knowing how to stop quickly - apart from careering off into netting or falling over.
I suspect there are more and more skiers of this ilk on the pistes...........

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

her partner had vetoed further lessons on the grounds that she could " keep up with the group"

rolling eyes sounds more like modern slavery than a modern partnership. I'd have told him where to stick his poles.
ski holidays
Quote:

I suspect there are more and more skiers of this ilk on the pistes

@Helen M A, no more than there ever were as far as I can see...
ski holidays
Hmm. I think I'll leave others who have skied with me to comment. Confused
ski holidays
Hands up who has never been out of control on a ski slope..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
There seems an obvious solution - try skiing as fast as you possibly can to minimise the chances that anyone can hit you from behind!
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Just go for the 'Old Yeller' approach instead. It'll be cheaper for everyone in the long run, once they're passed 50 they've served a purpose anyway.

Just in case anyone is in doubt, that's tongue in cheek. I do not condone the routine slaughter of the over 50s
latest report
johnE wrote:
I have noticed that everyone who has ever crashed into me from behind was wearing a helmet.

I hardly ever get hit by others, perhaps 6 times in 30 years and never even a minor injury by contact with other skiers, I don't wear a helmet.
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, interesting use of the word "routine"
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, ...yep Marmottes you understand where I am coming from...and @queen bodecia, this is by no means tongue in cheek; I do think that there is a difference between young people who are learning and do stupid things by pushing the envelope too far or by behaving irresponsibly (the same thing?) and older people who still think they can do what they used to be able to do and can't - ie hit physical or cognitive limits...

All this in a way is just an idle observation since being hit by someone hard is being hit by someone hard irrespective of whether it's a young person pushing too hard or an older person skiing like they used to and not realising they can't really do it anymore. But I just thought it was interesting that the two big shunts which we have had in the last five years in our family have both been of the same character...
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, Yes I have only been hit twice - like the OP. I was just pointing out the folly of generalising from small samples
latest report
@tangowaggon, Probably even less than you but I also continue to fall, all on my own, once every 2 or 3 days for no reason except trying something I probably shouldn't. Never got hurt (yet), mainly thanks to playing rugby for 40 years, but I do find it's harder to get up these days. Very Happy
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Pp4iIbseGbQ

I think skiing in older age is not a danger to anybody. Like in all matters of life you have to think.

(Mike made this video), and I like the video and the idea to ski even at older age.

BORN FREE!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy