Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots and footbed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I put some superfeet insoles into my Ski boots.
Problem is they are now a tad too tight around the upper foot and cause pins and needles.
Have adjusted middle two bindings so they gently click and its just too tight now and the new footbed is the cause.
I threw away the old footbeds so need to do some adjustments to what i have now.

What i have done is taken the liner out and there was an old plastic sole on the bottom of the boot that i have taken out and now everything feels much more comfortable.
I am worried though that this may cause issues when im out next week , is it ok to take this bit of the boot away?
I thought with the flat bed out i might feel the plastic ridges on the bottom of my feet but walking about the house they feel great.
Took a good few mill off the heel but the new footbeds compensate and no worrying movement around the heel or toes.

Any advice? Just go for it ? heading off in a few days so have to do any adjustments on a DIY basis , just want to know this isnt a major mistake im making
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick update.
Felt too much heel move after taking them out and walking around.
So cut the heel down and cut off at that point and stuck them back in.
Perfect Smile No heel move and tightness at top of foot gone
All ready to go.
Although if anyone reading thinks this could be dangerous or cause problems please let me know Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hawkwind, sorted then wink
all thanks to Snowheads aye
what would we do without em rolling eyes
.. I think the footplate you have adjusted is to set the volume of the boot, so it sounds as if your DIY solution was on the correct component.
note to self: never dispose of old until happy with new.
Confucius say "he who go to bed with itchy bum, wake up with smelly finger".
....and other obvious stuff Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hawkwind, the "old plastic sole in the bottom of the boot" is is a critical part of the boot,(in most models) other than that i have no idea what you have done as your description is a little vague
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franzClammer, good advice re Confucius Smile

@CEM, I think Franz is right and its a footplate. When i removed the lining there was a plastic "footplate" attached to the bottom of the shell , it was about the same depth as the insoles.
So i cut the plastic down at the heel and cut the plate where it was affecting my upper foot , replaced what was left and bingo , boots feel great and heel is secure.

How "critical" is that part , im scared now?
Obv with a £500 pair im not going to start pretending to know what im doing but they are an old pair of Solomon Impact 8 , all my google work yesterday seems to suggest others have had problems when using new insoles.
Ive two weeks left of the season , unless im going to end up in grave danger im happy enough with my quick fix
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hawkwind, yes, i am well aware what it is and what it does, it is critical in the fact that it is the foundation that the liner sits on, below it is a well which is the base of the boot, without the foot plate as you call it (correct name base board of Zeppa) the foot is not sitting on a flat surface as the liner can collapse into the well, there is also a locating point which is a bit like a spike which may now be poking into the liner about under the heel

but as you appear happy with your fix carry on, but PLEASE don't post saying your feet hurt and feel like they are being folded in two or are cold (it insulates the foot from the shell as well)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CEM, Dont understand the "tone" of your reply , you ok like?

Anyways , thanks for your input and help and i wont moan if my feet hurt , i take full responsibility for what i have done Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they're anything like my old boots then there we're talking about a flat, foot shaped, piece of semi rigid plastic a mm or two thick.

This sits on the top inner surface of the injection moulded shell, its only effect being be to span a few small voids in the shell moulding, and also reduce volume a little.

So long as volume remains correct, and replacement insole is rigid enough so any voids in base of shell cannot be felt through the insole, then I can't see any problem removing the footplate.

But obv CEM is has professional knowledge in this area and there may well be some good reason you shouldn't attempt this.

[edit - between me reading and posting, CEM did indeed come back with some reasons removing the bootboard could cause problems, along with some rather odd instruction to hawkwind not to post feedback on how it turned out]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 1-03-16 15:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hawkwind, i spend a lot of my day fixing DIY fitting which can cause foot pain, i am perfectly ok thanks rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CEM, Fair enough , i understand what i have done is probably not the best idea but i needed a quick fix for a short break this weekend and this seems to have done the job.
I was for replacing the boots this year anyways and i like messing around with things to see how they work and learning about them.
Ill take your advice and if i feel pain or discomfort i can always hire a pair at the resort. Thanks again.

@kerb, Thats exactly it , there was no issues with the voids so i cut the bootboard in half as it was at the top of the foot i was losing circulation and freed up the 3/4 mill needed. The heel was cut down about 3/4 mill and replaced using the spike and it just felt perfect.
Suppose i wont know for sure until i hit the slopes as i may be sitting back slightly with a reduced heel and upsetting the ramp angle ( no i dont know what any of that means either until i started researching it)
Ill probably come back to the forum telling people not to mess with their boots but for now im happy to be learning about these things as an intermediate and preparing myself for getting properly fitted next year and knowing what i like and dont like for performance and not just comfort.
Anyways i learnt a lot , mad how much goes into a simple boot!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hawkwind, just so I retain some credibility with my Bootfitter (CEM) although he's probly up the pub by now if he's any sense lol
I presumed that you had doctored the baseboards by either reducing the height of the locating fitting, be that a lug that accepts the spike CEM described or a ridge type fitting. Cutting the baseboards in half is rad dude lol
They may feel ok walking about but apply the Gs generated skiing and you might be buying new boots sooner than you thought. If so I know a good fitter Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CEM, not posting to moan really Smile
However , these DIY jobs dont work , lasted 3 hours before sheepishly having to admit defeat.
Heel was too low and felt like i was sitting back and having to reach forward , this put pressure on the rest of the foot and legs equalling pain which i tried to pretend wasnt that bad really before rushing off to the rental shop.
I was wrong Smile i did learn quite a lot about boots though!
and added bonus is that my OH has said we need to get me new boots and fitting as soon as possible
alls well that ends well
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah hubris.
Live and learn I guess. You did suggest the boots were past their prime anyway.
I believe it is a acceptable to grind the baseboard if you know what you're doing. I have a significant leg length differance and as part of the package of mods the bootfitters (who was highly recommended) did grind down some of the baseboard. Not to sure they would have cut them in half though rolling eyes
Much as I'm a fan of fiddling with stuff myself I think I'd have left them alone.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hawkwind, credit for owning up to the mistake. I'd always be fearful of adjusting boots myself, but as you said it was only intended to be a quick fix before getting a new pair anyway, so I might have been tempted in the same situation.

Good luck with the new boots, make sure you spend plenty of time getting them fitted properly though, no point rushing to buy some and then suffering again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These are perfect for ski boots I added some of these to my ski boots a while ago with no problems and they give me just the right level of support that I need and don't bulk up my boots at all. Happy days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy