Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne Boozers

Poster: A snowHead
Simple post folks...

Booked a long weekend in Belle Plagne and wondered if anyone could let me know if there are any decent bars there...? Not a disaster if not as we're going fully catered, but would be nice to find out what's about and what is possible, apes-wise...

Thx Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably not the best place for drinking esablishments - probably more down at Bellecote - I believe the lift runs late.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We only found two or three, mostly pretty tame. Two of them are directly opposite each other near the Spar shop and pleasant enough. For later night stuff there's a night club which is open until the early hours (seem to remember leaving it at 5am)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not convinced about night clubs at my tender age Shocked I'm interested in knowing more about the best places to finish the day and still be able to get back up to BP easy enough...

Like I said, we're in a catered chalet (chalet paradis if anyone has Been?)sonot overly bothered about extensive apres.. But a few beers in somewhere with some atmosphere would be great...

???????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There wasn't really what you'd call atmosphere in the two BP pubs but both are better than sitting in the chalet. It was a couple of years ago that I went but seem to remember we sat around and chatted to a few people, had a few pints and then went home. Not sure what Bellecote is like but you'll easily be able to get the bubble back to BP (think it runs until about 10 o'clock or something...but don't take my word for it).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineAddict wrote:
Not convinced about night clubs at my tender age Shocked I'm interested in knowing more about the best places to finish the day and still be able to get back up to BP easy enough...

Like I said, we're in a catered chalet (chalet paradis if anyone has Been?)sonot overly bothered about extensive apres.. But a few beers in somewhere with some atmosphere would be great...

???????

The only one I know of with a good reputation in Bellecote is 'Spitting Feathers'. A lot of friends rate it. Its a bit more English than French but a mix of both use it (they also show a lot of football matches - could be good or bad!). Its a good place to finish the day and not too far from the bubble that will take you back to Belle Plagne

Have fun Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is an English owned pub in Bellecote called the spitting feathers - http://www.spitting-feathers.com/index_ss.php?lang=en_US , easy enough to get to from Belle Plagne on the gondola between the two which is open to around midnight.
It usually has all the English football and rugby matches on and serves a decent pint of peroni and youngs bitter.

It switches to springtime hours in March so doesn't open until 4pm during the week but is open from midday at weekends.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineAddict wrote:

I reckon you're after my sort of place.
Contrary to above opinion, I don't rate the Spitting Feathers at all. Rather dingy place.
Unfortunately the best end-of-day stop - The Bergerie - is not really convenient for Belle Plagne: you need to ski down to the Bellecote Gondola to get home.
In Belle Plagne most of the bars are all concentrated on a small area just above and below the lift station. They are all OK, except for the Matafan (original Ski Club meeting place) which is expensive and completely lacking in atmosphere.
But when i used to stay in Belle Plagne, my favourite place was the Maitre Kanter bar under the Balcons complex at the entrance to Belle Plagne (and convenient, coz that's where we used to stay Smile )

A place to avoid: the enticing white building on the piste down from the Arpette chair: silly prices.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
But when i used to stay in Belle Plagne, my favourite place was the Maitre Kanter bar under the Balcons complex at the entrance to Belle Plagne (and convenient, coz that's where we used to stay Smile )

I'd forgotten about that place! Quite nice but I found it very quiet when we went in there, more of a restaurant vibe.

Just had a look on google and seems La Tete Inn is one of the bars I was talking about. Very small but think they have live music and a DJ sometimes...plus you can go to the other bar about 15 feet away if it's too crowded.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, do you know what the Mercure is like nowadays? Its bar, when it was the El Dorador (back in the days) was OK for a hotel bar. And a nice terrace outside the hotel for afternoon sunbathing, a pint and a baguette late season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found these... Certainly seems plenty about...

http://www.laplagnet.com/bars/

http://www.adrianbell.co.uk/pubs/la-plagne/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dubaian, not been in the Mercure (ex-El Dorador) for some years.
But essentially the Mercure Mafia ruined a jolly Fawlty-ish hotel.
And the bar became more a morgue than friendly meeting place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

A place to avoid: the enticing white building on the piste down from the Arpette chair: silly prices.

The vin chaud, in mugs, was good. But you're right, it wasn't cheap!
The Bowling Bar in BP seems to be where a lot of the chalet hosts go when they've finished work, but it seemed quite pleasant when we went in there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The gondola between Bellecote and Belle Plagne actually runs until quarter to one, which gives you plenty of time. I'd recommend Spitting Feathers in Bellecote and the Cheyenne up in Belle Plagne. The latter is more French and also more cramped, but they do good food. La Tete Inn seems good if you like live music, but I've never really spent too much time there. If you're looking for a club, the Saloon up in BP is your only option really (the clubs down in Bellecote are no good).

If you're willing to head out of BP/Bellecote, the Bergerie is supposed to be quite good for après as previously mentioned. Then there's Scotty's, if you don't mind seasonnaires dancing topless on a Wednesday (not as attractive as it sounds). However, if you're just there for the weekend, these après spots will be pretty dead as all the seasonnaires are generally too busy with transfers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, Afraid I've got to disagree with you.

We've been in THE best end-of-day stop today which is the Roc des Blanchets. Admittedly, not at all convenient for Belle Plagne and definitely not a boozer but it probably has one of the best views ever.
ski holidays
Quote:

Then there's Scotty's, if you don't mind seasonnaires dancing topless on a Wednesday

Hmm, hope that's not my daughter! Might go towards explaining why she told us oldies it wouldn't be our scene and went without us when we were there in January.
latest report
skichampcouk, you are of course being slightly mischievous.
Roc des Blanchets does have super views, but is over in the Champagny sector and so definitely not the place for an end-of-day drink if you staying are anywhere in the main bowl.
snow conditions
Anyone know if any of these places have BT sport ?
Hoping to catch a specific football match when over in a few weeks.
latest report
@jarjer, The spitting feathers definitely has BT sport, I was in there at the weekend watching it.
snow report
@karin, Laughing
snow conditions
Is there anywhere worth a trip in Plagne 1800?
snow report
@skichampcouk, Great, thanks.
ski holidays
Quote:

Dubaian, not been in the Mercure (ex-El Dorador) for some years.
But essentially the Mercure Mafia ruined a jolly Fawlty-ish hotel.
And the bar became more a morgue than friendly meeting place.

We stayed in the Hotel Vacances Bleues last week (ex-Mercure). It is now a well-run hotel with a friendly manager and staff. The bar was definitely not like a morgue although the seating was designed for looks rather than comfort. The buffet dinner for 29 euros (lots to choose from and you can eat as much as you like) would be worth considering for chalet hosts' night off.
ski holidays
I was wondering do you need your lift pass to get from Belle Plagn to Bellecotte in the afternoon / evening then?
ski holidays
@SandySkiBum,
Quote:

I was wondering do you need your lift pass to get from Belle Plagn to Bellecotte in the afternoon / evening then?

No you don't - pedestrian access between Belle Plagne / Bellecote on an evening is free for all - just walk straight in - lifts run until about 12:30am to connect with the last bus from Plagne Centre into Bellecote
ski holidays
Thank you. I won't get away with skiing laps on the first night with a head torch then ha 😂
snow report
@SandySkiBum, no definitely not, they'll let you go up to Belle Plagne from Bellecote after the pistes have closed with all your ski gear on (assuming you've been sampling the après in Bellecote say) but if you then reappear 10 mins later having skied back down they take a very dim view. Some people tried this with sledges whilst we were there and were reprimanded.

To be fair, the speed those piste bashers move at these days it's not worth the risk in the dark after hours.
ski holidays
ibexag wrote:
Is there anywhere worth a trip in Plagne 1800?
Well depends what you want. Quite a few people rate Les Mines, but not sure its a place one would go to from elsewhere.
And up the slope a bit towards Aime 2000, what used to be a lovely quaint cozy mountain restaurant has been drastically changed in to a mock Folie Douce type place with loud thumpy music and lights flashing across the piste late into the night (original name La Mere Grande, not sure what called now). Not been in since the transition, but we have noticed a fair number of skis outside when we ski past at the end of the day.
If we feel like a beer out we go up to Le Kantine, pizza place next to the Spa. Friendly place, jolly staff and excellent pizzas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jehu, thank you for the update.
So the nasty Mercure lot have gone and Vacance Bleues have taken over.
With good effect, it seems.
Is the piano still there in the bar for anyone to play?
Fond memories of Happy Eldorador days . . .
We must pop in to see sometime.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, thanks very much for the info. Plenty of time to give all three a go next week. Looking at a map, Les Mines will be our local.
snow conditions
@ibexag, personally I go to La Mine from Plagne Village but then it was my local for three seasons when I worked in 1800. They have some really good bands in there at 5.30pm and again at 10.30pm. This week they have three that I think are brilliant, so for that I'd say its worth the trip.
(I preferred La Cantine when it was Mamma Mia, with the grumpy French version of Basil Fawlty Smile !! Its run by the brother of the girl that runs La Mine!)

@Jonpim, What used to be Mere Grand is now Chauffe Marcel. The food looks good (not tried it yet) and the atmosphere is brilliant, as is the view. There is also a bus stop just across the road from the lift at the bottom of the piste that Chauffe Marcel is on (ski past the lift and up to the area next to the buildings; walk across the road in the up direction and the bus stop is just by the poubelles and goes to Bellecote then Plagne Centre)
latest report
Quote:

So the nasty Mercure lot have gone and Vacance Bleues have taken over.
With good effect, it seems.
Is the piano still there in the bar for anyone to play?

Yes and it seemed to be in tune.
snow report
Mentioned earlier in the thread, but La Tete can be quite lively, especially when they have a band in. It is quite "cosy" when its busy.
ski holidays
@Jonpim,
Quote:
We must pop in to see sometime.
if/when you do, see if you can talk the management into bringing back the mini single rooms (with no supplements) and a shared shower/toilet and storage in a common 'lobby'. wink

They were great for budget breaks and as they looked out directly onto a nearby wall of snow, with no balcony, I can't see them being very popular in the twin-bed configuration which the Mercure lot implemented.

(Can't see them on the Vacance Bleues website for BP)
snow conditions
Dubaian, those single rooms were awful!
I tried one once. Never again.
They were tiny. No sound insulation from next door room - you could hear every peep and squeek, and the snoring kept me awake. The shared shower room was cramped and cold.
Whatever the price, it wasn't worth it.

chaletgirl thanks for the info about Chauffe Marcel. Looks like it can get quite lively at times. Don't think it quite my sort of place .
snow conditions
Jonpim, I must have been lucky with my 'neighbours' - used the 'cabins' 2 or 3 times without problems. Back-in-the-day..... Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
Right, back this morning, so thought I would share some thoughts on the places I visited... I am afraid I am going to have to agree with @Jonpim, in that I didn't really think much of The Spitting Feathers... Popped in there to watch some football on Saturday [late] afternoon and share some beers with my new chalet roomies... The place has 'interesting' decor and not really what you'd expect for a bar in the Alps... More akin to something in Albert Square...

The Bowling Bar, up in Belle Plagne, was empty every time we walked by, and popped our heads in, so I can't really say much more than that...

La Tete Inn, IMO, was bar far the best place... Cracking little place... Small, but a good atmosphere in there after an afternoon on the hill, and well into the evening... Live music on as well... Really liked this place...

Finally, Scotty's... Had a couple of beers here before riding off home to BP. Nice bar, looks good inside and I reckon this place would be good of an evening...

Thx folks for your help on this one... Had a great trip out there and the Apres was helped by this thread... Very Happy
snow conditions
snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy