Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Chairman Election, Place your bets !

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Davidof : who did you vote for ? (....are you even a BASI member ?)

Not for a long time...

Just giving another spin on the figures from your rather upbeat interpretation. Maybe the election process needs a runoff to ensure at least a majority, rather than a plurality, is the chosen candidate? SB had a sizeable vote but are those members to be ignored? Does he have wider support amongst the membership?

BASI does claim to be the UK national training and grading provider so presumably anyone can at least comment on their procedures in a public forum? If I'm mistaken and that is not the case, and they are just a Scottish Private Ltd Co then fair enough.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
SB had a sizeable vote but are those members to be ignored?

^ Simon Butler came 3rd, behind both Bob K and Jimmy Lister.
To his credit he graciously accepted the result with a considered post.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/

davidof wrote:
Does he have wider support amongst the membership?

Clearly not for chairman - given each BASI member had equal opportunity to vote?

davidof wrote:
Maybe the election process needs a runoff to ensure at least a majority, rather than a plurality

Agree - something I suggested at start of thread.
Would require articles of association to be changed though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Have the voting splits been published ?

I've seen them and, from memory, it's something like Jim 370, Bob 250, Simon 150, Coral 75, Don 40. I don't have the numbers any more, so that could be off by a few either way.

so 41% of 22% voted for the winner? Looks less and less representative of the wider membership by the minute.

41% of the vote looks a healthy lead by those figures, not bad at all considering 5 candidates were standing. As for 22% voting perhaps that is the fraction of membership who think the outcome is likely to make any difference to them. Non voters may include a large number of transient members and members who are not actively using their licence, so have less at stake.

Given the his support for L2 working rights and the high number of L2 members I thought SB would have been in with a shout. Would be interesting to see the number of members of each level who voted.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think much like the last election for Alpine Director people voted for someone they know or have trained with. I recon the younger L3's and L4's voted en masse for Jim.

If Simon's court case had been concluded as scheduled a few weeks ago it may have been a closer race. I would think many of the L2 & 3's that potentially would have voted for him as a change candidate would have found it difficult if not impossible to vote for him with a verdict still outstanding.

Jim doesn't start until November, probably too late to influence anything on the Delegated Act.

I will still bet anyone a tenner that SB wins in the Scottish courts Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

davidof wrote:
Does he have wider support amongst the membership?

Clearly not for chairman - given each BASI member had equal opportunity to vote?

I was wondering if the 150/550 members that voted for him means that around a quarter of BASI members support his viewpoints, or was he better at motivating his troops to vote?

I know it is hard for clubs and associations to get people to vote on issues but sometimes this suits the "establishment". The BASI has (perhaps undeservedly) been tarred with a reputation of serving a core elite at the expense of a wider membership. So what can it do to engage that wider membership that it is not doing already?

Seriously I was shocked at the turnout of 22%, even if that is a major improvement. Our local residents association needs a quorum (50% + 1) for every vote, including the officials. We have to work very hard to get all those votes. Maybe members should be compelled to vote as part of membership with a "none of the above choice" as an option? I note the points above about "transient" members though and posters are probably right that 22% perhaps is representative of "active" members.

Personally I can't see SB as the ideal candidate for chairing BASI, it would be poacher turned gamekeeper to some extent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^ Davidof : your math's is wrong.
150/885=16.9%

Hardly reflective of the relentless noise on social media ?

As mentioned Jimmy Listers win was by a large margin - for a vote split 5 ways.
(.... indeed I *suspect* most of those backing Bob K would have picked Jimmy as their second choice).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-04-16 7:59; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

relentless noise on social media

which is generally made by a handful of people. If any "floating voters" did tune in they were probably massively turned off by all the shouting.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ Davidof : your math's is wrong.
150/885=16.9%

Yes, you are right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found the written Q&A completed by all the candidates very helpful in choosing who to vote for, and without it I'd have found it difficult to pick a candidate, so I hope that is repeated and expanded in the future.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:

(.... indeed I *suspect* most of those backing Bob K would have picked Jimmy as their second choice).

I disagree. Perhaps you are right, but Jim Lister would have been my fourth choice.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I quite liked SB's attempt at a video Q&A session. He patiently answered all the questions he received by email and did another video on his views on the Eurotest in addition to the written QA
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy