Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Chairman Election, Place your bets !

Poster: A snowHead
@Haggis_Trap, yeah... i'm right, you are wrong.
"Nationals of the EU-25/EFTA member states do not
require a work permit."
https://www.sem.admin.ch/dam/data/sem/eu/fza/broschueren/blau-europaeer-in-ch-e.pdf
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Haggis_Trap,

Two things.

You require a permis de sejour, and actually I think it's 90 days in the year.

And it's far from as straightforward as is being made out in various links here, at least as farbas the building trade goes. As I know only too well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sorry... I'm de-railing and being a bit finicky again. I'm just interested in all this.
In the EU there is no duty on the import of cars within states... In Austria there is a pollution tax based on the model of the car which is cross-referenced with the age and original price!... AKA a stealth 'import' tax. Which is most probably much like the residency permit in CH.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, yeah... i'm right, you are wrong.

^ Being economical with the truth again ? Very Happy
EU nationals workings < 3 months in CH need a residence permit (which legally you must apply for before starting work).

For 3-12 month periods (i.e a full ski season) you need a work and residents permit
See page 12 of your own link! When applying for this the canton may request to see your documents / qualifications.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that highlights my above point!
That is the only paragraph throughout that mentions 'work permit' in relation to EU nationals (and contradicts itself)!
But that is by-the-by anyhoo... as you have to apply for a residence permit with a contract in place anyway.
I expect that contract would be easier to find with a BASI L2 cert. although it is not necessary.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very detailed Q&A on the BASI web site with all five candidates.
Bob K has my vote (Jimmy Lister a very close 2nd)

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a38e224e94667bf5aa3af19f9/files/Chair_Elect_Question_Responses_FINAL.pdf
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
two days to go... Going to be interesting... With Simons court case still outstanding I would be surprised if he gets enough support, Coral has been absent from the debate and Don B is seen as an ESF man through and through and is pretty damaged after being outed as the one making a complaint against SB to the BASI disciplinary board which was thrown out as specious. Bob K has set out clear arguments and may carry the old school and lower level vote. Jim will score well with the trainers and Alpine based L3 and L4's who know him.

Not sure I would try to call this one (I did call the Alpine result 1st 2nd and 3rd Wink )

Apathy will most likely win out as it doesnt feel to me that many members will be bothered enough to click a few buttons and actually vote
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coral either doesn't have an FB account or if she does, she isn't a member of the BASI groups which would be very odd for someone who wants to represent the membership. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaza, Yeah I was disappointed not to hear her views. I spoke with her several times on various matters when she was Legal Director and was very helpful and committed to BASI.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:

Apathy will most likely win out as it doesnt feel to me that many members will be bothered enough to click a few buttons and actually vote

I don't think it is "apathy". BASI is a wide and diverse organisation.
Members have wide range of reasons to pay their subscription and most don't join BASI for the politics.

Generally I always try to vote as matter of principal (it endorses the process of democracy).
But : it can be hard voting for people you have never met / interacted with.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Haggis_Trap, the typical single digit turnout is pretty apathetic. I was hopeful that this time with FB and better comms from BASI there would be more interest but it isn't looking good. Most I talk to could care less, that is until you start talking about ET and right to work then they are all animated and "political". I find it odd that there are 1k on the FB members page, thousands on the community hub who are interested enough to join those groups but yet the voting turnout will probably be in 100's.. Lots haven't seemed to work out that who gets elected onto the board dictates our respective futures in many, many ways...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any discussion on the contested legal director post? I've voted on it already but pretty much made a choice during the time I was logged on to vote for a Chairman. Given how significant a profile the previous legal director attained I felt somewhat under informed when making this vote.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@balernoStu, I agree, I was stunned to see two people put their hands up after Stephen B's tenure and the mess things got to. I voted based on the personal statements and cv's.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you haven't yet seen it (apologies if I am duplicating here), checkout Simon Butler's Interview ref: Chair Elect:
http://youtube.com/v/ir97plDC4EM So good to see such a clear perspective.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If anyone fancies a bet on SB's legal case against BASI I will bet a tenner he wins. Just a shame it may be too late for him to garner enough support for his chairperson bid.
snow conditions
I hope he wins. His video addresses several points that seem lost on the other candidates.
ski holidays
I thought his video put his position across well, and he's actively trying to get people to vote and showing them how to vote considering the hideous website it needs it Wink
snow report
^ Whilst I wish SB all the best I don't agree with his argument & facts made in the video.
BASI L2 can work in Scotland, NZ, Canada, USA, CH, Austria, Norway, Japan, Argentina, Chile, Andorra, Spain, Sweden <etc>
... actually every single country in the world apart from France.

(.... Even in France they can work with a TT pass, identical to what a local person would need).
snow report
Certainly in Catalonia (and maybe Spain) the ability for L2's and L3's to work is a result of local Instructors taking their authorities to court and reversing a decision which excluded them. However even now I'd suggest that the actual rights for L2 and L3's are somewhat unclear.

At the time BASI was informed of the issue when the working rights were withdrawn but their response was 'sub optimal'.
latest report
Jim Lister was elected at today's AGM.
snow report
with a huge 22% turnout which was good to see
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

I suspect a concerted "anyone but Butler" campaign helped.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a challenge to the result given the voting method.
latest report
Gaza wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a challenge to the result given the voting method.

I kind of wanted him to win if only to hear of the judges reaction when he turned up at the next hearing representing both the defending and prosecuting parties, or to see if his first act as chair would be to award himself half a million in damages Smile
ski holidays
Congratulations Jimmy Lister!

He will be very good for BASI. Good dude (....and excellent trainer) - was very torn between him and Bob K.

The 22% turn out is great. Result is also very indicative that much of the ranting by a small, but vocal, minority on social media is not entirely representative of the wider BASI membership.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:

Except that vote was split between 2 or 3 candidates Wink
The simple fact is that members seem to believe there is much more to BASI as an organisation than the ongoing SB soap opera.

Gaza wrote:

Nonsense : the vote was conducted according to the articles of the association in the same way every other BASI vote has been conducted.
Such conspiracy theories are disrespectful, unjustified and quite frankly reflects badly on those members making such accusation.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
The 22% turn out is great.
Perhaps better to say that 22% turnout is significantly better than previous elections, and that should be celebrated. However, I'm not sure that almost 4 in 5 members not using their vote should be described as great.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
Result is also very indicative that much of the ranting by a small, but vocal, minority on social media is not entirely representative of the wider BASI membership.
Social media can easily be captured by a vocal minority, so perfectly possible that discussions on Facebook and elsewhere are atypical. Although with 'just' a 22% turnout you could say that there is every possibility that the result is not entirely representative of the wider BASI membership. Nevertheless, the people have spoken, so good luck to Jim and let's hope for a period of calmness and some productive work on behalf of the association and the ski instruction industry.
snow report
Have the voting splits been published ?
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Not yet as far as I know
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
The 22% turn out is great.
Perhaps better to say that 22% turnout is significantly better than previous elections, and that should be celebrated. However, I'm not sure that almost 4 in 5 members not using their vote should be described as great.

^ The most number of people to have ever voted in a BASI election.

We were chatting about the vote today at Glencoe. At least a couple of friends didn't vote simply because they had never met any of the candidates (.... and felt that voting on CVs alone was a little unfair). BASI is clearly a diverse organisation and we all join for different reasons : however I suspect many simply don't care about the "politics" and simply want to teach skiing / do courses / be insured / members discounts.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
however I suspect many simply don't care about the "politics" and simply want to teach skiing / do courses / be insured / members discounts.
Yes, that's certainly true. Have to say I've never understood the point about being unable to vote for candidates you've not met. I've never met any of the candidates in my constituency for general elections, but I wouldn't dream of not voting.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
simply want to teach skiing

That is the crux of the issue Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Have to say I've never understood the point about being unable to vote for candidates you've not met.

This.

A bit of a silly argument of why not to vote.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Have to say I've never understood the point about being unable to vote for candidates you've not met.

This.

Each to their own.
Personally I usually try to vote as matter of principal.
However on occasion I have thought that it might be fairer (and smarter) to abstain rather than judge 2 unknown candidates purely on the merits of a 200 word sales-spiel ?
latest report
Quote:

I've seen them and, from memory, it's something like Jim 370, Bob 250, Simon 150, Coral 75, Don 40. I don't have the numbers any more, so that could be off by a few either way.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

This.

Well, not *met*, yes.

But I became a member this year. I'm not very aware of the history and issues, so any vote would have been entirely based on the candidates statements. It would be a bit like voting for London mayor based solely on the leaflet I got through the post today.

In a normal election year (i.e. if SB hadn't been running), you'd probably want to make the judgement on integrity, knowledge, organizational skills, and experience. Easy to judge if you've seen them run an organization before, know them, or know and trust people who do. Very hard otherwise - complete lunatics can come across sane in two paragraphs or on a 2 minute video.

This year, even from my limited perspective I could see that SB would have been a very disruptive choice (for good or bad). I didn't feel well informed enough to make the choice either way.

It's not very easy to see how to get enough information to most members, so I think a relatively low turnout shouldn't be surprising.
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

I've seen them and, from memory, it's something like Jim 370, Bob 250, Simon 150, Coral 75, Don 40. I don't have the numbers any more, so that could be off by a few either way.

so 41% of 22% voted for the winner? Looks less and less representative of the wider membership by the minute.
latest report
davidof wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

so 41% of 22% voted for the winner? Looks less and less representative of the wider membership by the minute.

That is kind of like saying only 23% of the UK population actually voted Tory at the last election.
Dumb....

Davidof : who did you vote for ? (....are you even a BASI member ?)
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
davidof wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

That is kind of like saying only 23% of the UK population actually voted Tory at the last election.
Dumb....

Davidof : who did you vote for ? (....are you even a BASI member ?)

Only surpassed by saying 22% turnout is great wink
snow conditions
^ in context it is... the most BASI members ever to vote in 50+ years.

of course you can speculate why turnout has always been low for BASI elections.
I already gave my own opinion above.
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, Yes it is better to see numbers increase but maybe this is something that needs looking at for future election.
Maybe more engagement with the membership with both public and closed BASI only video discussions by the candidates. It is hard to judge someone just from a short statement, but a couple of good debates could potentially reveal a lot more about their character and commitment.

After that some sort of incentive to encourage members to vote, make part of any BASI course be a 10-30 min talk about the need for members to vote, how it is their organisation and the vote helps determine their future including potential working rights and membership benefits.

It will take time but slowly the % voting could increase by at least double what it was this time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy