Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good book on mountains & skiing, for a bright 10 year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm wondering if there is a book out there which might cover some of the basics of skiing and/or the mountain environment, weather etc.? Lots of wonderful pictures, some diagrams to explain the various bits and pieces, a bit of informative and thought-provoking text. Some pictures of marmottes, mountain goats and wildcats would be good.

One of my daughters is naturally curious and loves a good reference book. I remember a teaching flinging me a book like this before a school skiing trip and I devoured it. This daughter would very likely do the same - her monthly delivery of 'Aquila' mag is a highlight - and would give her another dimension to enjoying her holiday. Along the lines of "Daddy, did you know that 'couloir' is French for 'corridor'?" She is happy to let her siblings plug themselves into GoPro footage on YouTube.

A quick search on Amazon did yield a few 'how to ski' guides, the very enjoyable 'Skiing with demons'... and Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar'.
Shocked

Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edge of Never - but it's probably a bit mature for a 10 year old ( I remember my brother and I hoovering up climbing books on near fatal and fatal expeditions when we were early teens though).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit out of date but still a good giggle http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Learned-Ski-Sunday-Times/dp/0002170965?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got We Learned to Ski aged about 12 in the late 1980s and absolutely adored it even though I didn't get to go skiing other than on a dry slope for well over a decade.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure Skiing With Demons is a good book for a child or indeed a useful reference book - but thanks for the plug @tomj,
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skiingwithdemons, you are very welcome! And no, definitely not for this particular child.

In the end I got the Haynes Manual. Yes, you really can get a Haynes Manual for everything Very Happy It has lots of nice pictures of adults and children enjoying the snow, some accessible text which covers a very wide range of subjects. Nothing on mountain weather, and no pictures of marmottes but you can't have everything Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting, the only Haynes manuals I had were for the British cars that always seemed to require some attention.

You're not missing anything with no pictures of Marmottes as you are not going to see them unless you go very late season or in the summer. Even then they will be at a distance. Likewise for chamois goats.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 10 year old son is most interested in his dad's mountain leader book and another on avalanches. I'm not sure on exact titles though, sorry. My son loves a good fact book though so a ski one would be great!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like the Ladybird books which enjoyed an ironic revival last Christmas (eg 'mindfulness' and 'hangover'), Haynes publish 'manuals' on all sorts. Not quite the workshop manuals we might remember, but a bit tongue-in-cheek.

If anyone does know an accessible book on mountain weather, I'd be interested for myself if not for the children.

Tom
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tomj, maybe you should post that in the weather thread Tom. The snowheads that post regularly on there will probably have some ideas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy