Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Supermarket Fuel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So in a bid to avoid a slightly derelict looking route we did last year over the mountain to Vallorbe, we've set the sat nav to take us via Champagnole which was the way we came back last year using old money maps.

Last year we filled up on the motorway (and is still a current option) but just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of the supermarkets in Champagnole and if any of them have 24hr that will take a UK visa or MasterCard (we have pretty much every bank covered between us)

Currently just between Paris and Reims on the autoroute and The car reckons we'll get to Champagnole with 200km still in the tank...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any French supermarket will take UK cards.

If I had 200km worth of fuel at Champagnole then I would wait to fill up in Geneva, my car is petrol though.

There looks to be an E.Leclerc just at the D471 junction in Champagnole.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine is a diesel. Mate is currently driving. I'm taking 200km with a bit of a pinch of salt as it's reasonably efficient on the motorway but somewhat heavy so I think that will drop when we get off the autoroute.

I think there's an intermarche, and there is definitely a leclerc with a McDonald's in the car park iirc but all shuts up at 8.30 and we won't be there for another 3 hours...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lampygirl, the LeClerc will have a 24 hours pay at pump machine, and they take UK cards.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perfect. We'll give it a whirl. There's a couple of supermarkets so sure we'll be fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Look up the prices at any filling station in France here:
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

That's why there's so many digits to the French prices - they're competing down to a fraction of a cent so that they get higher up the list.

We paid 0.989 euros/litre for diesel in the Leclerc in Bailleul last week (and the week before). Conveniently it's next door to an F1 and, for that matter, a Macdonalds - but we weren't that hungry.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The department down there is 39 - Jura.

The Intermarche Champagnole (1 Avenue Jean Jaurès 39300 Champagnole) is open 24h and diesel is 0.999

Before that there is:

Intermarche Poligny (RN83 39800 Poligny) also 24h and currently 0.998
Take the A391 spur off the Autoroute and it's on your left just as you get to Poligny.
Here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/46.83864/5.68828
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All French supermarkets have 24hr machines taking cards.

I've had big trouble with them not taking Swiss cards in the past. Not sure about UK cards, but any issue could leave you in trouble. Suggest you hit the supermarket refuel with enough in the tank to get you to the next service station.

By the way, regards rjs comment to leave it to Geneva, which would normally be good advice, there's very little difference recently between Swiss and French off-motorway petrol prices. The Swiss petrol stations are coining it from the exchange rate and the Swiss haven't even noticed they're being done (why would they, unless they go outside the country?).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Any French supermarket will take UK cards.

I thought this was true now but last year found a hypermarket just off the autoroute which didn't take UK visa, MasterCard or Amex. did take a uk debit ? Maestro but had us sweating at 9 at night on a Sunday with no fuel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the Poligny suggestion. Even took our preferred metro bank card, so no fees. Went with enough fuel to easily get back to the autoroute, but didn't need to. 4 years driving twice a year to Saas Fee but first go at late night supermarket fuel. Will probably use that as a target in future
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I filled up at a SuperU and had the unusual experience of the usual auto-stop mechanism on the diesel pump not work, so I ended up with fuel gushing out of the tank for a couple of seconds. Whilst it was diesel I wasn't too concerned, and this is the only time I've ever experienced this, but just thought I'd offer that word of warning at unmanned pumps in case it is more common than I realise!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same thing happened to me at a French supermarket once, got diesel all over my shoes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I haven't had any problems with the supermarket stations taking debit cards at the pump for years ... until this year when an intermarche machine told me twice is wasn't accepted but on the third time of pushing it in was quite happy. many of them now recognize your nationality from the card and change language or give you a choice .... so much more sophisticated than the dumb machines in the UK.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy