Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting skis in Ford Focus

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if a double ski bag, c. 185 cms, will fit in the back of a rental Ford Focus with rear seats folded down? I'm thinking diagonally with other 2 small/medium cases piled around it.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, When you hire a "Ford Focus," you won't necessarily get one - it could be any car of a similar size. My experience of cars that size is that you may need to remove the skis from the bag, and have one end of them sitting on the dash.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had the same question and after a bit of googling I found this link. Granted, it is for a VW Golf (Same class as Ford Focus, according to Avis) and for a snowboard, but it does seem doable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used to have one - but an older model. No problems with fitting two pairs of skis in (one pair 169cm, one pair 175cm, in separate ski tubes) plus 2 big wheely bags and two lots of boot bags. We even did it one year with only one seat folded down and a passenger in the back!

If it's a bit tight, then taking the skis out of the bag usually works.

Mind you, I'm good at packing. I've gone away with a set of skis and a road bike, and all my skiing/bike/swim kit in a 2 seater so….. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ozboy, i've rented all sorts of cars from different 'winter sports' destination airports, and from memory the smallest car I've ever been given from whatever 'class' of car I have specified, was a Renault Captur - which is probably a touch smaller than a Focus overall. I was able to get my skis in this vehicle with the split rear seat folded down. Granted this would have been a problem if I had had 3 other passengers. If you're only using the front seats, you should have no bother at all. If it is an issue when you get there, you might have to flutter your eyelashes and negotiate the use a different car that matches your requirements.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a 2003 Ford Focus estate back in Geneva, and that was my ski car - easily carried multiple sets of skis on a regular basis, using one rear seat folded down.

Usual trip was 4 people in car, 4 pairs of skis/boards with one seat down, and everyone's boots and rucksacks, helmets etc in the rest of the boot.

Most extreme was coming back from the offpiste bash a couple of years ago, with two passengers - so 3 large suitcases, + a couple of cabin bags, one roller ski bag, and 10 other pairs of skis loose - including the biggest Whitedots they made at the time... It was a fairly tight fit, but all worked.

A non-estate would fit less though, and you are not guaranteed a Focus on pick-up, as said above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all responses - very resourcseful forum. Worse case scenario I will suggest to Mrs Ozboy she sits in the back and will put the skis on the reclined front passenger seat from the footwell.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, Suggest that you take a bungy cable with you. wrap it around the front headrests and support the front of skis on them. I do this in a VW polo with a set of 176's. The added advantage is if the skis are wet, they drip back into the boot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a ford focus and head to Glencoe all the time with 3 people in the car and 3 sets of skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Suggest that you take a bungy cable with you. wrap it around the front headrests and support the front of skis on them

I wonder if that's the optimum stowing to slice your neck in the event of a side-on impact collision? wink If there are passengers in both front seats it would succeed, whichever side the impact was. Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:
Does anyone know if a double ski bag, c. 185 cms, will fit in the back of a rental Ford Focus with rear seats folded down? I'm thinking diagonally with other 2 small/medium cases piled around it.
Thanks

We do it about 3 times a year and have never had a problem with compact cars often they're Citroen C3s. We had a Corsa once, that was a bit of challenge with 10 days worth of stuff, 2 pairs of skis and a christmas tree (courtesy of Plaisirs Verts just outside Annecy), I think the skis might have gone down the middle that time. Our skis are 175 though so maybe you'll need a small hacksaw Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, or take out an eye if the bungy comes loose Blush
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Suggest that you take a bungy cable with you. wrap it around the front headrests and support the front of skis on them

I wonder if that's the optimum stowing to slice your neck in the event of a side-on impact collision? wink If there are passengers in both front seats it would succeed, whichever side the impact was. Blush

From how I read it the bungee hangs from the headrest but the skis would actually be position about halfway down the back of the seat, so don't think that would be an issue. I also don't think it would be under huge tension (if you did it right) so wouldn't snap loose.

You can get a remarkable amount of kit in cars if you try. I managed to get 6ft acrow props (which would be about 185cm) in a Toyota MR2 once (which is a 2 seater) and my old man could easily get his 7ft+ surfboard in a Peugeot 106 with the front seat down. I don't think you'll have any issue getting a ski bag in a Focus if you don't need the rear seats.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have a Focus, I've tried bungees before now but they sag horribly under the weight unless you get them incredibly tight. So I put a wooden baton between the headrest uprights, cable tie it in place and rest the ski and board bags on that, down the centreline of the car with the tails on the parcel shelf. You could use a skipole instead or a golf umbrella.

We can, of course, fit stuff in diagonally, but we're usually traveling with the kids in the back in car seats.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Correct... on all counts
snow report
@Ozboy, I've had 193's in a Ka, so you should be fine. Take them out of the bag, sit the Mrs in the passenger seat and run the skis between her and the door.
snow report
Thanks everyone - I'll go with the Focus.
ski holidays
We have an A3 which is a similar size. You may get them in diagonally but the alternative to the drop 2 seats (inc centre) and put the bag on its side down the middle, resting on centre console (this for us with a double ski bag) You also may be able to wrap one of the belts around it to keep it secure.
snow conditions
I used to get 2 sets of 205cm skis in an old Mini 1000 every week! You'll be alright!
latest report
@Ozboy, You could get one of these.

Ive used them for years, originally for hire car scenario - as you have described - but now tend to stow my skis inside my large estate for journey down then use rack for daily transport of (wet) skis.

Not too bulky so easily stowable in your luggage allowance and a really robust piece of kit that takes up to 5x sets of skis.
ski holidays
I have the fall line 190 bag and got that into the back of a ford focus but yes it was tight
snow conditions
If I can get skis in my old mini you'll be able to get them in a focus snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy