Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champs du Moulin camping question

Poster: A snowHead
This Saturday we are arriving at Les Deux Alpes camp site to stay in the cabins without a car,
We'll get there late evening and won't have access to the shop which is up the gondola.
Does anyone know if you can walk to a shop to buy
basics ? Would it be open late Saturday?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
poppyb wrote:

Does anyone know if you can walk to a shop to buy
basics ? Would it be open late Saturday?

You will have researched where this is before booking it? A couple of minutes with Mr and Mrs Google identifies that the cabins are on the edge of Venosc (that was just an exciting 2 person Gondola last time I did it in ~ '85, pretty little place)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=venosc+village+magasins

Looks like there's a bit of a posh nosh shop, (au Terroir) open till 7pm, no supermarket on the radar having wandered through with the Google man, a few restaurants . Bit of a step for you to get to the cabine with no car!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@poppyb, I dont believe there are any basic food type shops in Venosc. It's a bit of an arts and crafts village. Bound to be a Boulangerie though.

How are you getting to Venosc? There are loads of supermarkets on the way inc one close to the airport. Not doable if Bensbus but if private transfer could they make a slight diversion.

Lift runs until 7 and there's a Spar very close to the top.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't do a diversion en route to get to a shop, there are a couple of bars / restaurants in Vensoc that aren't too expensive if you could push to a cheap meal on your first night?

Does the campsite have a little provisions shop perhaps, or could you take something really portable like supernoodles or something in your luggage if you are desperate for your first night?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your campsite has a little shop, and does takeaway food... http://www.champ-du-moulin.com/en/facilities.htm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Claude B wrote:
Bound to be a Boulangerie though.

Doesn't look like there is on my walk through. The campsite does advertise "Fresh bread and croisants, baked on site every morning. And basic provisions (milk, ham, butter, eggs, wine, for breakfast, salt, pepper...)"

mmmm, "wine for breakfast", my kind of place
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a restaurant on the campsite. If you contact them in advance and let them know what sort of eta you have I am sure they would help you out. The supermarkets in LDA aren't huge but big enough to buy what you need.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks
Yes we can order a meal from the campsite owner but we have various dietary needs! And he's not particularly cheap but very kind to offer. The restaurant is closed for the winter though.
We could do a diversion on our transfer but worried a bit about cost. Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are going at Easter and if you ask he will open up the restaurant. We ate there twice last time and very nice it was too, unless they are not doing that anymore? The sauna is a welcome treat in the evenings too. Enjoy your skiing. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@poppyb, with a little ingenuity you coud easily carry enough rations for a couple of days. And then shop up in L2A for the rest of your stay. Problem solved!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to the local brochure Au Terroir has a small grocery shop. There must be somewhere selling bread, this is France Shocked

http://www.venosc.com/pdf/Guide-pratique-2015.pdf

http://www.location-venosc-deux-alpes.com/fr/terroir.php
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Claude I'm sure he'll be open Saturday night
Is Venosc at the top of the gondola and as it'll be closed how long do you think it'd take to walk from the campsite? That's what I can't find out from a website! (My phone won't download google earth )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@poppyb, No Venosc is about 700m below L2A. There's a map in that brochure don't know how long walk to gondola is. Spar is only 5 mins from top, opens until 8.

Walk from Venosc to L2A is an hour each way, very steep (700m vertical in less than 2 miles) and I suspect very dangerous in the dark.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Walk from Venosc to L2A is an hour each way, very steep (700m vertical in less than 2 miles) and I suspect very dangerous in the dark.

I suspect you will not be wanting to walk it at all, even in the day! When the gondola is closed, you'll be down in the valley with effectively no access to L2A.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a nice but strenuous walk, I've done it several times but only in summer.
latest report
@Claude B, but you are young and tough.... wink I do a fair bit of walking, including in the mountains, but an ascent of 700m would take me several hours. The descent, given that it's so steep, would simply kill my knees.

We went down in the gondola, in the afternoon, after summer lessons on the glacier. Venosc was lovely - and very hot. We planned a walk but got no further than the first place we found selling cold beers.
snow conditions
@pam w, wink Shocked
snow conditions
Thanks everyone
The taxi has agreed to stop at a shop for precisely 30 minutes! So the problem is solved.
On the map it looks like the village of Venosc is close to the campsite so no need to go up the gondola - that's what I was thinking.
Thank you all for your kind attention x
latest report
@poppyb, Great Happy there's a supermarket near Grenoble airport. There's also a big one in Bourg D'Oisans, just off the bypass, only a few miles from Venosc.
ski holidays
The walk to the gondola is pretty short and we left our ski kit in LDA to save bringing it all down. The gondola is only open until 7 in winter so you do need to get back down before it closes. There is a path down the mountainside from LDA which apparently takes about 1 3/4 hours.......not advised although we have seen several,mountain bikers do the run at Easter....scary stuff .
latest report
Quote:

we left our ski kit in LDA to save bringing it all down.

That would make life a lot easier.
ski holidays
The mountain bike track is different to the hiking path. It's still very steep and can be slippery when wet. I find walking up easier than down.
ski holidays
I can imagine the walk is lovely in beautiful sunshine and higher temperatures. Not so much in winter. Watching the mountain bikers from the gondola was quiet amazing. Maybe I will attempt it ....when my knees are up to it lol
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy